The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 17, 2010, 04:15 PM   #26
floydster

This is a hilarious thread--- by the way, Special Forces are looking for a few good snipers, some of you guys could qualify for sure
Old November 17, 2010, 07:58 PM   #27
higgite

Quote:
I live near Seattle and shoot at a range that opens at noon and usually has at least 6mph wind.

He lives in rural Montana. He gets up at sunrise and if there is no wind at all, he goes shooting.

The best group I have got is .45" 5 shots 100 meters.
The best group he has got is .3" 5 shots 100 yards.
Well now, there's your problem. You're sleeping too late and not standing close enough.
Old November 17, 2010, 07:59 PM   #28
SL1

Quote:
by the way, Special Forces are looking for a few good snipers, some of you guys could qualify for sure.
Well, maybe not, since groups tend to enlarge when the targets are shooting back! And, it doesn't help much when the "bench" is the deck of a boat at sea, or a pile of gravel in Afghanistan.

I have a LOT of admiration for Special Forces snipers!

SL1
Old November 18, 2010, 01:40 AM   #29
Doodlebugger45

Quote:
This is a hilarious thread--- by the way, Special Forces are looking for a few good snipers, some of you guys could qualify for sure
Yeah... well you know how it goes... between all the important stuff I do like reading the newspaper, buying groceries, pondering politics, and watching TV, I really don't think I have time enough to be a sniper in Afghanistan most days. I'll call the army guys though if I think I have some free time to help them out one of these months if I'm not too busy saving the world from other threats.

Old February 15, 2011, 12:18 PM   #30
Ackley

Hi guys
Iam from the UK and have joined this site to appologise for Robbobsam's behaviour,as this link has been posted on one of our UK shooting forums.
Fortunatley most UK shooters/hunters are not like this guy,just a little background into him,the guy came onto out sites only a few months ago when he first got his centre fire rifle,what he wasnt going to do with it wasnt worth talking about,he has gone from site to site asking the same old questions and posting his amazing stories,unfortunatley he upset most people and got banned from just about every popular UK shooting forum.
Anyway thats just about sums him up,I think hes harmless but gets a little over excited.
Theres some pretty good UK sites if you guys feel the need for a change or a little entertainment espeically the stalking directory,but what ever you do,dont talk about long range deer shooting on that forum
they think anything past 200 yards is not acceptable
Old February 15, 2011, 02:32 PM   #31
mattlago

No need to apologize for him.

I shoot about the same accuracy at the same distance with my 1911 on the regular. Of course, unlike that guy, I will admit that I use a benchrest if I am using the factory iron sights.

Anything past 300 yards and I grab my glock
Old February 15, 2011, 04:08 PM   #32
Rifleman1776

I'm also wondering how many shots in that group.
But, mostly I am amazed by a group that small at that range with a tiny 80 gr. pill. Looking at it crosseyed could blow it off course. I lived three years in the U.K. and know they have wind. Very amazing.
Old February 15, 2011, 09:35 PM   #33
highvel

I have shot many .2" one shot groups with my .204 at 500 yards.

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Old February 15, 2011, 09:39 PM   #34
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by highvel
I have shot many .2" one shot groups with my .204 at 500 yards.
Technically, the standard for measuring groups is to subtract one bullet diameter from the largest measurement of the group.... that means all one shot groups are always an unbeatable "0" inches!

However, it's always much more impressive if you report at least 3 shots. In order to guarantee an impressive number, simply continuing shooting until you have at least 3-5 shots in a very small area... for instance, you might fire 20, 25 shots at 500 yards. There's a good chance that 3 of them will be near touching. Simply discount the rest as "flyers", and you've got an group in the 1/4, maybe 1/2", realm at 500 yards!
Old February 16, 2011, 10:52 AM   #35
Unclenick
Staff

I think that's why he had the grinning smile at the end of that one-shot gag line.

I confess I am a little bit puzzled by all the skepticism over the 100 yard groups. In the 80's I shot many 3/8" CTC five shot groups from my Remington 600 in .222 Rem at 100 yards just using a Lee loader and its scoop powder measure with IMR4198 and Hornady 50 grain flat base soft points. It sported an early inexpensive 3×9 Weaver scope that sometimes took a bit of straining to see through (but my eyes were younger then). For whatever reason of good fortune, that scoop load just turned out to be right on a sweet spot for that rifle. Anyway, It's good grouping, but it's just not miraculous to my mind. Benchrest record are in the ballpark of five times smaller.

1" at 250 is tougher and is better shooting. That number appears to be a simple mathematical extrapolation of 100 yard moa to 250 yards, which, we all know, is not how it normally works out. Bryan Litz points out that perturbations of the flight that occur at the muzzle, such as bullet jump, will affect POI in proportion to the transit times to different ranges. For the flat base Berger 80 grain varmint bullet with 0.301 G1 BC, this suggests a 0.4" 100 yard group should grow to about 1.1" at 250 if fired in still air conditions with perfectly identical loads and firing conditions.

Of course, real loads and conditions have additional problems as range increases. Looking at the difference between real transit time and transit time in a vacuum, with the above BC, wind will have 6.8 times the effect on the 250 yard shot that it does at 100, and not just 2.5 times as the range ratio would suggest. A 20 fps muzzle velocity variation that only has about 0.03" of effect on vertical POI at 100 yards will cause 0.28" of vertical stringing at 250 yards with the Berger BC and the 3100 fps MV given.

Without knowing wind conditions and having no chronograph data for the gun, you can't really estimate what a realistic difference in the groups would be. I'll guess, in still air, I would expect a group of 0.4" at 100 yards to be in the ballpark of of 1.4" in still air at 250 yards, assuming the MV extreme spread is 20 fps.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; February 16, 2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old February 16, 2011, 11:27 AM   #36
GWS

Maybe his bullet went in sideways!
Old February 16, 2011, 01:57 PM   #37
Ackley

heres 2 4 shot groups i shot at 500 yards fireingforming to AI using an 80gr fowler
the group on the right was shot before adjusting for wind,both groups were 1.5 inch
Old February 16, 2011, 02:21 PM   #38
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Nice groups.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old February 16, 2011, 04:14 PM   #39
Mal H
Staff

Fabulous groups, almost too good to believe. 500 yards with an 80 grain bullet - really? Which rifle and scope are you using? Which AI caliber?

However, I have to question your group measuring method. The shot at the lower left is clearly further from the right hole than the one you are using to measure the 1.5" group. I estimate that the group is 1.8", not 1.5". Nonetheless, both group sizes are, again, fabulous.
Old February 16, 2011, 04:58 PM   #40
Ackley

Hi mate
no the mesurement was correct,as I tried all ways,
the rifle is a 243 AI,270 tight neck built by Nesika 12 twist 25 inch barrel,the scope is a 5.5-22x56 Nightforce (I have a matching rifle in 7mm WSM)
the 80gr Fowlers I used were just thrown togeather to finish fireforming new brass,I use at the moment 74gr precission ballistic bullets running at 3774 FPS quite nice at 600 yards
I would like to get hold of some more 80gr Fowlers but he wont send them to the UK as it seems your goverment is trying to close the doors on exporting by charging stupid money for export permits

Last edited by Ackley; February 16, 2011 at 05:12 PM.
Old February 16, 2011, 05:11 PM   #41
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Quote:
The shot at the lower left is clearly further from the right hole than the one you are using to measure the 1.5" group.
Unfortunately, this is right. Fortunately, those are still great groups. Measure from the lower left hole to the farthest right hole and see what that measurement is.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old February 16, 2011, 05:19 PM   #42
Ackley

matters not mate,there just a couple of groups I shot,Iam sure with a really good man behind the butt it would do better
anyway heres couple of pic of my rifles if anyone is interested
Old February 16, 2011, 05:22 PM   #43
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal H
The shot at the lower left is clearly further from the right hole than the one you are using to measure the 1.5" group. I estimate that the group is 1.8", not 1.5". Nonetheless, both group sizes are, again, fabulous.
Yes indeed. I measure OP indicated group as 2.43", indicating a scale of 1.589:1. The distance to the lower left hole measures approximately 2.885 inches, indicating a group size of 1.81"
Old February 18, 2011, 01:33 PM   #44
Unclenick
Staff

Ackley,

I resolved the issue with On-Target which is free online download. It automatically finds the two most distant holes and marks them with a line between them. I used the caliper jaws to set the scale to match the caliper readout. It gives 1.837", but that is still excellent shooting.

The black circle and short line from the center of the target mark the groups mean center (where the sights are actually putting the group). Not enough error to matter there.

Last edited by Unclenick; February 18, 2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old February 18, 2011, 02:39 PM   #45
langenc

One might ask-who measured the 250 yards??

Around here many 250-300 yard deer shots work out to be about 120 yards.
Old February 18, 2011, 02:41 PM   #46
44 AMP
Staff

Nice groups on paper are nice groups....

But don't proove anything to the sceptic. After all, we have to take you at your word that you fired them at xxx range, now don't we?

I've got a nice two hole three shot group fired with a Ruger N0.3 .45-70 and a 2.5x post/crosswire Weaver scope. I actually did it at 100 yds, from a bench. I'm real happy with that group, because usually I can only shoot that well at 50yds. But if I posted it and said I did it at 300yds, well, its my word against yours, and I was there!

Claim anything you want, its the Internet, after all. I'll believe what I see happen in front of me, or info from people I know, and trust. (not always the same thing)

Reagan said "trust, but verify", and it works for me.
Old February 18, 2011, 04:32 PM   #47
DaleA

Quote:
One might ask-who measured the 250 yards??
Not 250 yards, langenc. This was at 500 yards!

(At least if you're referring to Ackley and not the original poster.)

Last edited by DaleA; February 18, 2011 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Added the last line about Ackley
Old February 18, 2011, 05:07 PM   #48
Unclenick
Staff

250 refers to the thread title and the OP.
Old February 19, 2011, 05:01 AM   #49
Ackley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenick
Ackley,

I resolved the issue with On-Target which is free online download. It automatically finds the two most distant holes and marks them with a line between them. I used the caliper jaws to set the scale to match the caliper readout. It gives 1.837", but that is still excellent shooting.

The black circle and short line from the center of the target mark the groups mean center (where the sights are actually putting the group). Not enough error to matter there.
thanks for that,I will have to use that programme for future measurements,could you kindly measure the other group to the right hand side please

Last edited by Mal H; February 19, 2011 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Added quote tags
Old February 19, 2011, 05:28 AM   #50
JohnKSa
Staff

The group to the right measures about 1.53 inches.