The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 20, 2007, 04:54 PM   #1
Heinrich

Kudu horn for powder horn

Hello all the way from South Africa. To show you guys some of the horns that I have made recently.

I've been working on Nyala horn in the past, now the next member of the spiral horned antelope is up for a project. A member on Whitesmoke was so brave to offer a piece of kudu horn and black ivory wood for me to turn into something resembling a powder horn.

Here is the horn, before ANY work has been done.

After quite a few days of sanding, the results have come to this, you can now start to see the different colours that is inside the layers of the horn. I have only found it looking like this on the spiral horned antelope.

I shall cut the horn shorter because now it is too large, and way impractical.
Old May 20, 2007, 04:55 PM   #2
Heinrich

Spent some time sanding, and sanding. I start with 120, then proceed to 240, then 360, every time basically removing the sanding marks from the previous session.

The 600, and lastly I have used 800.

Next session will be 1000, and then I shall finish with 1200 grit.

The horn turned out to be VERY thick, and you will be able to get in less powder than I expected, but it will still be a LOT.

I have also cut the tip of, luckily the cavity ran all the way into the tip, and drilling was rather easy. Next operation is to install the spout. And then that FANCY black ivory plug.

This is the result of all the sanding, polishing has not happened yet.

Old May 20, 2007, 04:56 PM   #3
Heinrich

Now I am pretty much finished.

Put in staples (a touch that I've learnt from the American Master hornmakers) makes it easier to attach the sling.

And polished it too the level that owner said he liked, which is not so smooth, and not shiny.

The black ivory base plug has been put in, and also polished, also not too much. And even managed to get some of the white that was in the wood.

Old May 20, 2007, 05:03 PM   #4
Johnywinslow

Nice!!!!!! IM new to the BP arena but I can spot good works when i see it! You may have a market in the US for such things. Great job.
Old May 20, 2007, 05:09 PM   #5
Heinrich

Thanks very much.

Market to sell them is too small in South Africa. I don't sell them over here, just give them to whom I know will appreciate them.

But, I do swop them, have sent a few to the US, guys seem to enjoy and appreciate them.
Old May 20, 2007, 05:17 PM   #6
Johnywinslow

Try putting one on e-bay ... U may be surprised!
Old May 21, 2007, 12:13 AM   #7
arcticap

I know it's not as traditional, but does the brass nozzle have a valve to control the powder flow?
While they are not as beautiful or traditional as your horns, my factory flasks have a thumb activated valve to control powder flow which I prefer.
Old May 21, 2007, 01:58 AM   #8
Heinrich

You can fit a control valve. The traditional ones had wooden spouts, or spouts formed out of the rest of the horn.

I'll make them with brass spouts, of various designs if so required.
Old May 21, 2007, 06:32 PM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

Heinrich, very pretty work. How thick are the horns when you're finished polishing it? FYI, the traditional American powder horn was thinned so as to reduce weight. However, it wasn't so thin such that one's finger could push the side right in and I've seen some hornmakers who goofed and did just that.
Old May 22, 2007, 02:29 AM   #10
Heinrich

I usually polish the horn to about 3-4mm if there is sufficient material to do so. But I let the owner of the horn dictate what they want require. This specific horn I did not sand off, the owner will be doing some deep engraving within the walls.

The typical powderhorn made in South Africa was pretty sturdy because of the rigors involved with daily life that included elephant, lion, hyena, rhino, to name but a few.