The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 22, 2018, 08:11 PM   #1
Prof Young

Pocket carry

So now that I can shoot the pico decently and have a good pocket holster I find I do right front pocket carry much more frequently than any other. This is especially true now that summer is here. I guess I've sort of fallen into carrying that which is most comfortable and easy to carry. May not be the "best," but then "best" is all relative.

Thoughts and comments welcome.

Life is good.

Prof Young
Old May 22, 2018, 08:43 PM   #2
Slimjim9

My only carry method has been pocket carry with LCR. I've tried a few belt holsters for that and other guns but still haven't found one I could stand.
Old May 22, 2018, 08:51 PM   #3
TJB101

I tired IWB, OWB and my P238 in the front pocket is the most comfortable so far. 380 ... yeah, I know. But comfortable is really nice compared to what I’ve tried to carry.
Old May 22, 2018, 09:00 PM   #4
AK Man

I pocket carry a Sig P938 in a Uncle Mikes pocket holster size 36. It works great I keep it clipped to the edge of my pocket with my T-shirt or jacket pulled down over it.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/unc...e-pant-holster
Old May 22, 2018, 09:18 PM   #5
GarandTd

Ive gone right front pocket, right rear pocket, and AIWB with an rm380. I prefer AIWB for accessibility and comfort except while sitting.
Old May 22, 2018, 10:38 PM   #6
reteach

I have an IWB holster for my Glock 42, but it's a lot simpler to drop it in my right front pocket. I use a Sticky pocket holster. I hardly ever wear jeans - mostly cotton slacks like Dockers only cheaper - and almost never tuck in a shirt. Whatever pants I'm wearing, if the butt of the gun sticks up over the pocket a bit, it's still covered by the shirt tail. I keep a spare magazine in a knife case on my left. At home the gun stays in the holster on the night stand. Easy as cake.
Old May 23, 2018, 12:40 AM   #7
Cosmodragoon

Pocket carry with the right holster is safe and convenient. It might be slower to draw than some other methods and it can certainly be more difficult to draw from some positions. If it means you have a gun when you need it, I'd call that a worthwhile trade. I just have to watch out. Pocket carry is so convenient that I sometimes catch myself choosing it over those other methods when they are available. I have to say, "no, fifteen is better than six. Take the extra minute to kit up."
Old May 23, 2018, 05:36 AM   #8
PSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof Young View Post
So now that I can shoot the pico decently and have a good pocket holster I find I do right front pocket carry much more frequently than any other. This is especially true now that summer is here. I guess I've sort of fallen into carrying that which is most comfortable and easy to carry. May not be the "best," but then "best" is all relative.

Life is good.

Prof Young
Excellent choice of pistol for pocket carry. As thin as they come. Do use a holster to keep your Pico oriented correctly.
Old May 23, 2018, 07:23 AM   #9
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof Young View Post

Life is good.

Prof Young
Apparently your "bet your life" preference is a Pico, its what you are carrying rather than any other options you have.

If the Pico is your "bet your life" preference for hometown, logically it would be 1st pick for wherever USA regardless of time AM/PM.

Lethal threat is lethal threat wherever/whenever it happens, logically one would always desire the same level of incapacation potential, in this case Pico.
Old May 23, 2018, 07:50 AM   #10
Doyle

I'm with TJB101. I find a waistband carry uncomfortable - especially since I can't stand wearing untucked shirts in public. I normally carry an LCP but occasionally an LC9s if I'm wearing pants with larger front pockets.
Old May 23, 2018, 09:19 AM   #11
Don Fischer

Some how I have never been able to understanding fishing around in a pocket to find some small gun. Almost like trying to get your keys out without getting the pocket knife too! Then again it would seem that if you had a gun you could carry in your pocket, where do you carry your keys and pocket knife? Somehow I get this vision of a guy carrying around a 1911 in his pocket!
Old May 23, 2018, 10:07 AM   #12
Bill DeShivs

If you pocket carry a gun, NOTHING should EVER be carried in that pocket.
You use another pocket for your keys, etc. It's not rocket surgery.
Old May 23, 2018, 10:24 AM   #13
OldMarksman
Staff

Always with a pocket holster.

The critical question is how quickly it can be accessed while moving or sitting.
Old May 23, 2018, 10:57 AM   #14
Sharkbite

IF the choice is to pocket carry or not carry at all, then certainly POCKET CARRY.

With a realistic look at the speed and violence a defensive encounter can happen, i would not advise pocket carry as a primary way of preparing to fend off that attack.

Remember, THAT is the reason we chose to carry a firearm. We have gone thru the trouble, effort and expense to obtain a CCW, so we CAN defend ourself and loved ones from a deadly attack. Then choose to carry sub optium guns in hard to access locations as if the gun is some kind of talisman that will ward off evil by simply having it in our pocket.

You need to be able to deploy that pistol and deliver mutiple RAPID hits center chest or CNS at realistic distances QUICKLY.

SORRY, i dont think pocket carry allows that, unless you walk around with your hand in your pocket, gripping the pistol.

There are too many other options for carry that DO allow a realistic response.

An old quote...”a gun is meant to be comforting, not comfortable”.
Old May 23, 2018, 11:12 AM   #15
dontcatchmany

I pocket carry front left pocket.

My keys and cell phone go in a rear pocket. In the right front pocket is an insulin pump. I try pants that have large pockets.

I only carry owb during the cold months and I use a paddle holster.

Drawing when sitting can be a problem....especially when driving (I am left handed). However I always have a second gun very close to me.
Old May 23, 2018, 12:34 PM   #16
OldMarksman
Staff

Sharkbite summed it up pretty well.
Old May 23, 2018, 05:17 PM   #17
PSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMarksman View Post
Sharkbite summed it up pretty well.
That's your opinion. Other may differ.
Old May 23, 2018, 06:18 PM   #18
TailGator

I live in southern Florida, and I manage to carry IWB five or six days a week. With selection of cover garments, it can usually be done. I pocket carry on occasions when I anticipate having to remove cover garments around other people. My primary example is removing my jacket and donning a robe at church. (I am a pianist.) No honest person with experience with both carry methods will claim that their response from a pocket is as fast as from IWB. But pocket carry can let you have at least some reasonable access to a pistol when nothing else works.
Old May 23, 2018, 07:52 PM   #19
tallball

In the summer I carry in the cargo pocket of cargo shorts. My long ape arms let my hand touch the gun butt quickly and easily. I use a pocket holster and leave the pocket unbuttoned.

I don't carry in the right front pocket anymore. It's too slow to draw even while standing, and EXTREMELY slow while sitting.
Old May 23, 2018, 11:23 PM   #20
Prof Young

Many good thoughts and comments . . .

Many good thoughts and comments here. Thanks to all.

I do use a pocket holster always and nothing goes into that pocket save the gun and holster.

While standing, I can get it out of the pocket and holster with ease. Not sure it's any slower than when I carry OWB.

There is, of course, one in the chamber when I carry and they are SD loads.

My OWB gun is a sig p238 so in terms of fire power the pico is even. I have a 9mm springfield XDE that I shoot okay, but haven't' tried carrying it yet on my waist band. I do carry it when it's vest weather.

This post and the responses have given me some food for thought.

Thanks agin.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old May 24, 2018, 03:26 AM   #21
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
... You need to be able to deploy that pistol and deliver mutiple RAPID hits center chest or CNS at realistic distances QUICKLY.

SORRY, i dont think pocket carry allows that, unless you walk around with your hand in your pocket, gripping the pistol.

There are too many other options for carry that DO allow a realistic response.

An old quote...”a gun is meant to be comforting, not comfortable”.
For what it's worth, some guns may be easier to deploy from a pocket holster than others. Another reason I like the LCR for pocket carry is that the stock grip is fairly quick and easy to securely hook a finger around in most pants that are big enough to accommodate it. (The inexpensive Wrangler cargo pants offered in most Walmart locations have a good front pocket for this.) The grip shape, tackiness, and deep finger groove lend themselves to easy extraction and easy hand positioning. The overall shape of the gun also aids in a smooth draw.

Yes, it can still be slower or more complicated in a lot of circumstances. However, we should consider that some the other and arguably better carry methods can be easily hampered too. For instance, many kinds of seating can also impair draw from IWB or OWB, especially if a jacket or multiple layers are involved. We are all different and have different body types, clothes, cars, etc. I know from doing drills that the LCR in right front pocket is generally faster than a small semi-auto IWB when buckled into the driver's seat of my car. It can also be faster than shoulder carry if the cover garment is a wait-length jacket that's zipped up.

As far as comfort goes, carrying a gun takes up a lot of real estate in terms of what things you might carry with you over the course of the day. That's unavoidable. However, making it as comfortable as possible is only bad if it comes at significant cost. Ensuring program compliance and lessening impact on daily tasks are generally good things. To put it another way, a Redhawk would be more comforting than an LCR but would rarely be comfortable enough to leave the house with me.
Old May 24, 2018, 07:12 AM   #22
Hal

I only wish I had pockets to carry in...

When you're a bloated fat-boy-tubby-gut, that can't fit in anything but sweatpants, that puts the lid on where you can carry.

I'm even too fat for those elastic waist band holsters .

I'm trying though...down 61 pounds since Jan 1st.
Halfway almost to my immediate goal.
Old May 24, 2018, 08:53 AM   #23
TomNJVA

My only problem with pocket carrying my holstered LCP II is that it is so light and comfortable that I often forget it is there. I have to be extra diligent to disarm before entering banned carry areas such as schools and post offices, and restaurants if I plan to have a drink.
Old May 24, 2018, 10:11 AM   #24
pete2

I carry a 642 revolver in my pocket, I can get it out with my hand on the grip, very fast if you have your hand on it in the pocket when the timer beeps. I also have a Ruger LC9, it'll fit in a pocket but I can't get it out if my hand is wrapped around the grip. LC9 is now my pickup gun. Either gun is ok in a Cargo pocket in the car. A jacket pocket also works well with the 642. The cargo pocket is the slowest method of carry that I know of except when sitting.
Old May 24, 2018, 10:52 AM   #25
JERRYS.

# 14.