The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 23, 2002, 05:05 AM   #1
Redhook

Mixed brass, headspacing, and resizing; what would you do?

My friend and I have been collecting our Fed GMM brass in .308 for the last two years in anticipation of reloading it some day. Well the day has come and, not knowing better, we've mixed and tumbled our brass together.

The brass only comes from two rifles, a Rem 700PSS and a Blaser LRS2, in approximately equal amounts. Using an RCBS "Precision Mic" tool (see my "Precision Mic" post as well), I have old Remington Brass that I know is mine and is headspace measured to +.002" to +.003" ANSI minimum. The new Federal Ammo headspace measures -.003 ANSI min. Unfortunately, out of the 1000rds of Fed brass, less than 1/20 of that is as long as the Remington.

The first 500rds that we tumbled is brass from 12mos to 6mos ago and we got a 50/50 split of brass that was -.002" to 0 (assumed Blaser) and 0" to +.003 (assumed PSS).

Unfortunately, when we tumbled the last 500rds from the last six months, 95% of the brass is between -.002 and 0 ANSI min. We both know that we've shot one for one in the last six months.

So, what would you do? Do we attempt to segragate the brass or just FL size it back to -.003" and start over? Any other ideas?

-Red-
Old February 23, 2002, 05:29 AM   #2
DAVID NANCARROW

Fastest way would be to full length resize all of it.
Old February 23, 2002, 06:38 AM   #3
bedlamite

FL resize and trim all of it, then sort by weight.