The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 31, 2021, 10:29 PM   #1
kilotanker22

Leupold Mark 3HD

Hello everyone, I recently purchased a Leupold Mark 3 HD, 4-12x40. I bought this scope, because it fits perfectly into the intended purpose (Some hunting, but mostly longer range engagements to 1200 yards.) 12x is plenty to shoot to that distance and the weight is perfect as well.

Waiting for it to be delivered, so I am looking to hear any advice or potential issues to look for with this particular optic. Glass quality, tracking etc..The 5.6 Mil limit when using a zero stop was a turn off for me. I called Leupold and they offered to send me a P5 turret cap without a zero stop, free of charge. Pretty easy to get a human on the phone and they were very helpful. So far, they have been great to deal with. With the VIP discount, this optic was considerably cheaper than retail price and that is one reason the scales tipped in favor of this one.

If I like this scope I intend to buy a Mark 5HD as well. Being made in the USA is a big reason I switched from Vortex. Yes, I know their glass is not made here. Almost all glass, that I am aware of come from either Japan and China, with a few exceptions in Europe.

Anyway, back on topic. What are the thoughts of this forum on this optic? I welcome review, positive or negative.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old August 3, 2021, 10:00 PM   #2
kilotanker22

So I got this today, installed it, and went to the range. Overall, very nice scope. My only complaint is how thick the cross hair is. At 100 yards and on 12x it takes up the entire bullseye.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine