The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 27, 2008, 04:12 PM   #1
dssigma

My First SKS, is It Chinese ? Please help

HI

I bought SKS, This is my first Long Gun. i have never owned any Long Guns before

the pesron i bought it form told me that this is Chinese SKS
i am not sure as there is no Chinese marking of any kind.

On receiver it just says Made in China, Ser #
It also Say ARMCO BOLY.MA

now how do i know its Chinese? Berrel is Chrome Lined, No Graned Launcher, Spike bayonet

All the Serial # Matches, Reciver, Mag, Sock, Bolt Cover etc

Thank you in Advance

Dssigma
Old July 27, 2008, 04:20 PM   #2
Darren007

Quote:
On receiver it just says Made in China, Ser #
It also Say ARMCO BOLY.MA
I think you may have answered your own question without realizing it.

But...FWIW if it says "made in china" its a Chinese SKS.
Old July 27, 2008, 06:03 PM   #3
dssigma

Chinese SKS ?

Thanks for reply Darren007,

ya its says made in China, But why there is no other Chinese Sign OR Character As it found on Some of the Chinese SKS?

By the way i took it to Range & i Like it It is Accurate at 50 Yards, i let other people on the range Try it, They also like it & every one agree that this is Accurate Gun & LOT of FUN to Shoot

Thank you

dssigma
Old July 27, 2008, 06:55 PM   #4
Sodbuster

Is there a number on the side of the receiver that starts out with "M21"? M21 designates a Chinese SKS that was made especially for export, i.e. commercial sales. There are no markings such as a triangle with a number in it, as an M21 SKS was never refurbished at an arsenal nor was it ever inventoried in the Chinese army.
Remember, many times what we view as a curse in the present turns out to be a blessing in the future. Don't worry about it a lot. Things have a way of working out. Trust me on this one. - - Uncle Bill Martino
Old July 27, 2008, 07:52 PM   #5
hayek

Not 100% sure, but I believe the Chinese SKS is the only one with a spiked bayonette.
Old July 27, 2008, 09:35 PM   #6
dssigma

PICture of SKS

Hi Sodbuster,

NO It does not Say M21 anywhere on entire Rifle.
Check out the Pic of receiver please let me know.
As you can see i am newbie

by the way i paid $250.00 (Out the Door) which Includes following
1) SKS (may be Chinese) with Canvas Green Sling, 10 rnd Fixed Mag, Bayonet & Trap Door Cleaning Kit.
2) 360 rnd of 7.62x39 (All Non-Cor Ammo, 20/bx total of 18 BX)
3) Ammo Can
4) About 20 Ammo Clip
5) 2 mag 30 rnd

What you guys & gal think ?
Did i Do Good ?

Thanks
dssigma
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3-1.jpg (83.7 KB, 421 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (32.0 KB, 384 views)
Old July 27, 2008, 10:38 PM   #7
Sodbuster

You have a nice Chicom SKS. Good buy with the ammo, too. You might want to follow the link below to read up on the Chinese SKS. There is a sticky post there that discusses the various markings/nonmarkings on Chinese rifles. The lack of markings, but the presence of a triangle 26 stamp, would have indicated a desirable Sino-Soviet SKS. But since you say there are no markings or stamps on the rifle, it is merely a nice Chinese SKS. By merely, I mean enjoy it, you did fine.

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.p...a7e7&board=3.0
Remember, many times what we view as a curse in the present turns out to be a blessing in the future. Don't worry about it a lot. Things have a way of working out. Trust me on this one. - - Uncle Bill Martino
Old July 27, 2008, 11:56 PM   #8
ISC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayek
Not 100% sure, but I believe the Chinese SKS is the only one with a spiked bayonette.
Albanians have a spike too, and some chinese have a blade.
Old July 28, 2008, 04:13 AM   #9
123kiwi

Great looking rifle! Dont forget to bin the 2x30rd mags too, youll only ever need the factory one.
Have fun!!!
Old July 28, 2008, 01:51 PM   #10
itman

Take a look over here. http://www.simonov.net/uberid.htm
Old July 28, 2008, 05:24 PM   #11
dssigma

Thank You

Thank you friends

Since there is no marking i cant do much regarding the origin of the rifle.

i took apart the rifle, all the serial # from all the part is matching including Trigger, Bolt, Firing Pin, Gas Chamber, stock etc

Since every Serial # matches, i think i am happy that it is not MIX & MATCH rifle

Thaks

Dssigma
Old July 28, 2008, 08:12 PM   #12
bennnn

Is there anything stamped in the wood under the buttplate?
Old July 28, 2008, 10:41 PM   #13
hayek

Quote:
Albanians have a spike too, and some chinese have a blade.
Ah. Thanks for the correction.
Old July 28, 2008, 11:38 PM   #14
Mosin44az

ARMCO sounds like an importer. Boylston, Massachusetts I'll bet, if they still exist.
Old July 29, 2008, 07:58 AM   #15
dssigma

I will Check

HI bennnn,

I will check it out & Post, just need lil time to do that

Mosin44az,

You r correct the person i bought form also said something about Imported by Armco. (On Bill of sale he put Imported by Armco for Name of Manufacturer)

if the Company is not business, Dose it mean that this may be very early Import?

May be they Refurb the Rifle & remove Chinese MFG Name,Symbol. & they put their name on it ?

anybody knows anything

Regards

Dssigma
Old July 29, 2008, 09:30 AM   #16
sarge83

I have a chicom with the spike and the blade bayonet, they come in either.
Old July 29, 2008, 04:03 PM   #17
res45

Armco imported AK and SKS rifles and 7.62x39mm ammo from China in the 1980's. But like most of the importers of pre ban rifles they went out of business right after the 1989 ban. The prefixes on the serial numbers to denote the date of import was not required on rifles imported before 1989. This is a requirement on post ban rifles. You have a nice Chinese SKS actual date of Mfg. and which factory it came out of you will probably never know enjoy has a little history behind it though.

ARMCO:
They were located in Boylston, Massachusetts, and was both an importer/exporter and a firearms retail store. ARMCO was owned and operated by Stephen A. Holmquist, who was arrested in October 1991 and convicted on November 5, 1992 on six counts of importing firearms by means of false statements, and three counts of exporting restricted firearms to China. ARMCO is known to have imported at least serial #'s 04440 through 05000, as well as rifles in the 073xx range. ARMCO imports are marked under the receiver, ahead of the mag well:

Some of the older Chinese SKS rifles were product on old Russian SKS Type 45 equipment that they sold to China back in the late mid to late 50's most of these rifles have no factory markings at all other than a serial # do you have any pics of the rear sight leaf there may be some info on there especially the letter or # in front of the sight notch.

Last edited by res45; July 29, 2008 at 04:45 PM.
Old July 29, 2008, 09:07 PM   #18
bennnn

Quote:
I have a chicom with the spike and the blade bayonet, they come in either.
There are a few different styles of gas tube as well as the spike/blade difference,, both of these below are chinese.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gas tubes001.jpg (96.0 KB, 177 views)
Old July 30, 2008, 08:54 PM   #19
dssigma

No Marking

HI

There is no Marking under Butt Plate

thanks
Old July 30, 2008, 10:53 PM   #20
tINY

Looks like you have the machined trigger guard. This indicates early chineese (think Russian shop stewards) manufacture.

I have one from that era that was a mix and match and it works great and shoots straight...

-tINY

Old July 31, 2008, 09:37 AM   #21
dssigma

Sks Auto ?

Looks like my SKS is pre ban As it was imported by "Armco" & Armco Ran out of Business affter the Ban. they must have import it before Ban.

IF my SKS is Pre Ban can i Convert it in to AUTO ? or not ? ( Auto Conversion plans are selling for about $5.00 on Gun Broker)

If i Install new Stock to SKS do i need to be in Compliance of 922r?

Thanks

Dssigma
Old July 31, 2008, 03:42 PM   #22
tINY

922r has to do with the import date

Auto conversions are not allowed without a Class 3 MFG liscense.

-tINY

Old July 31, 2008, 04:42 PM   #23
ISC

Actually, if it was imported and in a 922r non compliant condition prior to the 1994 ban 922 doesn't apply.

Yes, you have to be 922r compliant if you install a new stock. That means a pistol grip stock can't be used with a rifle with bayonet, detatchable mag or flash hider and be 100% compliant.

NO full auto weapons can be legally manufactured since 1986 unless it was for law enforcement, military, foreign export, nuclear plant security use or as a dealer sample for the use of the previously listed entities- even if you have a class 3 license.
Old July 31, 2008, 11:21 PM   #24
dssigma

SKS Stock 922 r Compliance

HI ISC

IF i install LOCK-ARM Stock, Does it count as 3 parts or less ?
What else i have to install on my SKS to make it 922r Compliance ?

thanks
Old August 1, 2008, 12:29 AM   #25
Ignition Override

You did really well, and were fortunate that they knew what they were talking about.

Several months ago I was in an "Army Navy", so to speak, pawnshop. My first look inside a pawnshop (am 53-and made my first gun purchase last October).
Not knowing what their Mosin Nagant rifles were-never having heard of them- I asked the staffer about them. He is a recent combat veteran of Iraq.

Before he brought one over to me, he told me that the Mosins were SKS rifles, but he was the most sincere staff I've ever seen in a pawnshop.
He told me that he followed the rules when he heard me chat for a quick moment with my son (who is a resident), considering that my state has no agreement with stores 'down there', unlike a nearby state.

Tags
chinese , sks