The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 25, 2022, 04:54 PM   #1
Right to bear arms

Vari-X IIc Leupold Scopes

I have an interesting question for the forum. I know this has been dealt with many times before, but here goes. I have 6 Leupold Vari-X II scopes and 1 Vari-X III. I have been quite happy with them but I have been reading online where the latest VX-2 and 3's are much better. I've never missed a deer or elk because of my old Leupolds but should I try to upgrade my scopes to the new multi-coated ones? Thanks in advance for any responses.
Old January 25, 2022, 06:03 PM   #2
BornFighting88

As the engineer in me always says, “If it isn’t broken, then DON’T fix it!!” So long as the glass tracks, works, and allows you to keep harvesting game, don’t stress it.

I have an 80’s generation VX-II with the low profile turrets. Still crystal clear, still tracks, still puts pills where I aim. Wouldn’t trade it for much…. And with Leupold’s service and support….. Don’t see myself changing from this scope. May get a newer one down the line when I want more range and magnification, etc. But for near distant future…. Keeping the one I have.

That said, what I just said is merely my two cents. Should you wish to disregard all the things I said and upgrade, by all means do so.
Old January 29, 2022, 06:21 PM   #3
bamaranger

Same same

Right there with ya! I have a number of Leupolds, and all of them but one are some model of the Vari-X -II or III family. In any decent light, and certainly legal shooting hours, they continue to give fine service and performance. I don't doubt the VX family is brighter and offers some improvement, but not sure one really needs it.

Only issue I had was trying to get a reticle change in one of my older Vari-X models....Leupolds said no can do. But, I hear the custom shop is not doinGg any work of late.....
Old January 29, 2022, 08:11 PM   #4
LeverGunFan

The effect of improved coatings will be most noticeable in dim light, such as very early in the morning or very late in the day. For most of the day, the apparent brightness of the older scopes will be very close to the newer scopes with improved coatings. For my uses, the older scopes I have work fine, and I have no plans to replace them.
Old January 30, 2022, 07:39 AM   #5
BornFighting88

I agree with LeverGunFan. I have a newer Vx-3 on my deer rifle. It helped me place a kill shot at first light on opening day about two years ago, with those newer multi coatings. But during day, glass is glass is glass, IMHO.