The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 1, 2006, 10:15 AM   #1
Ben Shepherd

Heavy 45 colt- Heavyweight(300-350gr) Hard Cast Lead & N110

Anyone play with this combo? I use 2400 and 296 in this application mostly, but I do use N110 with jacketed stuff quite a bit. Never have with lead stuff though, and there doesn't seem to be much data on this combo. Wondering why?

Same things hold true in 357, 41, and 44 mag as well. So why not N110 and hard cast lead bullets? It's expensive powder, but the burn rate is suited well to these applications. So why almost no published data?

NRA certified rifle, pistol and shotgun instructor.
Hunter education instructor
Old December 1, 2006, 12:33 PM   #2
azredhawk44

I've wanted to play with Vhitavouri powders for a while... no one seems to carry them locally though. Appears to be a mail order only kind of powder in my neck o' the woods.

It parallels H110 and Win296 almost exactly in most published loads I have looked at and seen it listed in (which I'm sure you've seen as well). Do you have the Lee Reloaders Handbook? It is featured very prominently in that book. I'll look up the Vhitavouri data I have in there for high-powered 45colt heavy loads and post it later tonite.

Where you living that you can get Vhitavouri powder? Or did you mail order it?
Old December 1, 2006, 03:40 PM   #3
Ben Shepherd

I've got a couple places locally to get VV powders. N110 is WONDERFUL behind a heavy for caliber jacketed slug in a magnum pistol load. Extremely clean(cleanest almost across the board actually), not temp sensitive, and consistant velocities. Accuracy is outstanding. It burns closer to 2400 than H110/296 IME. But it is pricey.

But it seems everyone lists 2400, AA9, 296, or H110 with lead slug loads. But they don't list N110 with lead slugs. I'm thinking there has to be a reason. Just wondering what it is?

NRA certified rifle, pistol and shotgun instructor.
Hunter education instructor
Old December 1, 2006, 06:42 PM   #4
cheygriz

Could be that most folks, especially us old timers, just won't pay their outrageous price for powders that won't do anything that far cheaper powders do just as well. At least, that's the main reason I've never used VV powders.

As far as the "clean burning" aspect, that just doesn't figure into my calculations at all. I clean my gun every time I shoot it.
Old December 1, 2006, 06:54 PM   #5
azredhawk44

Ben:

I did a quick search online and found this:
from here.
Quote:
300gr LFP 18.0 gr VV-N110 1,100 fps 40,2m" Fed LP guest
By comparing data from differen pwder manufacturers and looking at "relative burning rate" charts, and using a chronograph to check my loads, i was able to use this powder.start at 17 grs. velocity in 7,5" ruger bisley. for tc/ruger only.
Again, I'll check when I get home in the Lee bible.
Old December 2, 2006, 07:12 AM   #6
WESHOOT2

excellence, regardless of cost

I have and use N110 in 357, 41 , and 44 Magnum, and 45 Colt 'Stupid'.

I just have so much more W296.......