The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 9, 2006, 06:40 PM   #1
cptmclark

Barrel crowning on muzzleloader

I have an unevenly worn crown on a 50 TC Hawken muzzleloader, with Green Mountain after market barrel. Accuracy fell off in a short period from 1 1/2 moa to 3 1/2 moa. Last thing I thought to look at was the crown, and the lands are unevenly worn well below the crown, maybe 0.10". I see crowning kits at Brownells, and would like to know if I can do a good job with one of those kits, or if better to take it to a smith. Barrel is 15/16 across the flats.
Old December 9, 2006, 07:36 PM   #2
VaFisher

You should be able to get the same results as a smith just have to be carefull with the chattering on some barrels. Only problem I see is you may pay a smith about what it would cost to buy the tool's to do it yourself.
Old December 9, 2006, 11:05 PM   #3
Harry Bonar

M L crown

Good for You:
The way I used to do mine (still do) is to turn a harwood dowel so it just pressed (lightly) into the bore about 4" - then cut down for a steel cutter at the angle I need to use round balls with greased patch.
But first, with your gun I'd cut an 1" off and use a square to square the muzzle. Then insert the wood pilot and set the angle of the cutter to about 45 degrees and with a c-clamp and turn the chamfer (crown) where it looked good. Then use a brass rod with valve compound to smooth the crown!
Yes, I have a lath but I still like the old ways. Then you can use the "crowning Jig" to cut some circles on face of bbl. THEY SHOOT!
Harry B.

You can always use your tools to cut a new sight slot!
Old December 9, 2006, 11:10 PM   #4
Harry Bonar

ML crown;

Sir:
Another way is after you get your muzzle FLAT is to take a large countersink wrap three or four pieces of denim over the bore and crank the tool in and then finish with lapping. The denim stabilizes the cutter - this is also a non-chattering way to enlarge a smaller hole - put sufficient denim between the drill bit so it enters hole non-chattering!
Harry b.