Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 21, 2006, 12:59 PM   #1
Savage Sam

Little sister scores first buck!!

Shooter: My 14-year-old sister

Deer: 2x3 blacktail

Rifle: Savage 99R in .300 Sav.

Load: Rem "green box" 150gr. Cor-Lokt

Shot: 185 yards across an alfalfa field somewhere in Northern California. Snapped the spine, DRT

She got her second deer, a doe, a couple weeks later with another 99 in .308 at about 35 yards thru the heart.

Result: Plenty of backstraps, steak, jerky, and stew!

(and one very proud dad and 5 very proud brothers)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bambiandism.JPG (44.6 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg meandbambism.JPG (46.9 KB, 164 views)
Old October 21, 2006, 03:28 PM   #2
mete

Very nice ! And nice gun and cartridge too !!
Old October 21, 2006, 03:59 PM   #3
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Well done.
Great deer.
Rich
Old October 21, 2006, 04:01 PM   #4
whiskey

I love to see young people hunting, espcially a female from California! Tell her to take her friends hunting!
Old October 21, 2006, 04:38 PM   #5
geneinnc

First Buck

Another new hunting addict! Way to go. (next time shoot him just a bit lower so you don't waste backstrap & tenderloin)

That is an awesome buck. That deer would win most of the big buck contests in my neck of NC. ALL hunters should be very proud of you.
Old October 21, 2006, 08:38 PM   #6
BIGR

I am so glad that she has the desire to hunt. I admire a female that wants to hunt. We need get more young people interested in hunting and shooting. Alot of them would probably stay out of trouble if they stayed occupied outdoors. It takes a special kind of person to learn how to hunt and to be successful. If a person hunts the legal way, hunting can be challenge and at times its hard.
Old October 21, 2006, 10:26 PM   #7
Fremmer

Congrats to her! What a great time!
Old October 21, 2006, 11:00 PM   #8
hoghunting

Nice deer and good shooting. Let your sister know that I have seen many adults that couldn't make a 185 yd shot.
Old October 22, 2006, 01:05 AM   #9
Savage Sam

I killed my first blacktail in that same field 4 years ago. It was about three or four days into season I guess, halfway through our hunting trip or so and we were driving back to camp. It was getting dark and I saw the buck on side of the road up a mountain a little ways. We figured he'd come down into the alfalfa fields that night to feed, since we've seen a lot of deer before out there while driving past. (The alfalfa fields were on the other side of the road.) So we went up to the owner's ranch house the next day and asked permission to bag the buck if we saw it that night. He wasn't going to let us hunt, told my dad he normally didn't allow it, but once my brothers and I hopped out of the car and he saw us with our rifles (we were all in our preteens/teens) he said 'wellllll...... you see that buck, you go ahead and shoot it." So the next night we head out there and sure enough there he is. It was a spike on one side and a tiny fork on the other. There was another spike buck with him and about 10-12 does. I actually walked out about halfway to the deer, making my shot only about 85 yards (whereas my sis just shot from the fenceline). I had the steel-tube Weaver set at 3x and didn't even think to change it from there. I crouched down into a sitting position, looped my sling around my arm.. The 99 barked. DRT. Went down so fast I thought I missed because all the other deer ran away at the shot. My brother started yelling 'You killed him!" from up at the car. I walked out the rest of the way and there he was, behind some grass. My first buck. I was 17 and had hunted in California since age 12. Too cool. Now my sister took hers out of the same field with the same model rifle in the same caliber, 4 years later. Makes me happy just thinking about it.

The landowner died just this year. He was 88 I believe. We brought him rainbow trout, tomatoes from our garden, venison jerky, or some such offering every year and every year he let us scour his field at dusk for an unsuspecting yearling buck. Treat the landowner right, most likely he will treat you right.
Old October 22, 2006, 10:47 PM   #10
FirstFreedom

Nice! Way to go sis, and big bro for help bringin' her up right.
Old October 23, 2006, 04:16 PM   #11
castnblast

Way to go, and Hats off to her family for including her! So many people think it's just a guy thing. I can't wait till I can take my 16 month old little girl on her first trip. If she's like her brother (loves to be outside at her age, and loves water!) she'll go a year from this turkey season.

BTW, get her on on this forum, so she can see how proud everyone is of her!
Old October 24, 2006, 02:29 AM   #12
Savage Sam

Guy thing my butt. She's been going with us since she was little. I wish more people would get their sisters/daughters/wives/girlfriends into hunting. Maybe we're just scared they'll outshoot us
Old October 24, 2006, 08:21 AM   #13
springmom

We're EVERYWHERE, we're EVERYWHERE!!!

Congrats to your sister. Good job!

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old October 24, 2006, 08:48 AM   #14
castnblast

I wouldn't marry my wife till she shot a deer and gutted it...No joke. I love the outdoors, and wanted someone who would enjoy my passion of the outdoors with me. This December, we'll be married 11 years. 6 years ago, we were bowhunting at Lake Amistad. It was cold and raining (42 f). I was about to give up and go home. My WIFE said we ought to try one more time, I freaked and said, o.k. So we got out of the truck walked and glassed for about 1.5 miles through steep ravines (about 50-100ft deep) we got about as far from the truck as we could go, when I spotted a heard of Mouflon rams below the ridge we were on. I drew, and conected. She was as excited as I was. The dang thing ran down to the bottom of the canyon. We gutted it, drug it to the truck 1.5 miles, and went home. What a trooper. Our clothes weighed in about 20lbs from being water logged. We still talk about that to this day...I'm glad you guys include your little sis. Hats off to you.