The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 19, 2010, 07:24 PM   #1
ac700wildcat

25-06 110gr accubond and h4350?

Has anyone tried this combination? If so what kind of velocity did you get? I'm looking to get some decent velocity and hopefully be able to use one of the less temp sensitive powders, and beings I have some H4350 I'm wondering how it does with this combination.
Old May 20, 2010, 05:46 PM   #2
Shoney

Hodgdons data does not include a 110 gr bullet. You can use the data for the 117 gr bullet, and work up slowly.

The velocities you will get will be within 100 fps of other powders. Your main concern should not be on velocity, but moreover be on accuracy!
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old May 21, 2010, 02:32 AM   #3
ac700wildcat

Noone's data includes a 110gr bullet except for Noslers and they don't list H4350, but it and IMR4350 are fairly close in burn rate, so I don't see any reason why the H4350 won't work well. I was just wondering what anyone was getting for velocity before I load any test loads up. If I can't get decent velocity out of the H4350, I really don't want to waste it on this load when I can use it in my proven 30-06 load instead

I generally shoot for accuracy before velocity. I usually don't chronograph any loads until I know how well they are going to shoot, but If I can pick a powder that has the potential for the best velocity and then am able to get it to shoot accurately somewhere under max charge that is ok with me. If I start out with a powder that has a potential to shoot 3000fps rather than 3200fps and then find accuracy below max charge I could be well under the 3000fps. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I like to get as much accuracy and velocity as possible.

Looks like I'll have to load some up and give it a whirl. I'm thinking somewhere around 44-45 grains should be a good starting point
Old May 22, 2010, 05:15 AM   #4
Mike / Tx

Not sure how much this will help, but here goes.

Most of the time the loads used with my 25-06 were the 115gr Partition over a load of RL-22. With this load using Win cases and WLR primers it gave the best velocity and accuracy of any bullets I tried. When I gave this rifle to my daughter, a friend had a few of the 110's sitting around on his bench and I decided to try a couple out. I simply pulled the 115's and put in the 110's then seated them to the same length based upon setting the seater to bottom out on one of the other loaded 115gr loads. We tried 5 of them just for kicks and they produced a 3/4" group at 200yds, while running 3250fps across the chrono.

Was this the best way to go about working up a load, probably not, but I knew that the previous load was safe, and with the shorter bearing surface and the lighter bullet weight I went for it. So far it has worked out great, and with a little more specific tinkering, I got the group size down as close to one hole at 200yds as I can hold it.

Knowing that H-4350 is a tad slower in most cases than the IMR version, I would not have an issue with giving it a try. I loaded some 100gr loads up with IMR that were simply outstanding, however they were a bit more explosive than I wanted for deer hunting. I believe that the Sierra manual uses IMR for their accuracy load with the 100gr bullet. I would work up slow as with any change up in components that have not been tested. If you DO decide to try another powder I might suggest looking at something in the RL-19 to RL-22 area on the charts as these type powders have given me the best velocities and accuracy across the range of weights, from more than one 25-06.

Good luck.
Old May 23, 2010, 12:12 AM   #5
sc928porsche

I use IMR 4350 in my 06 based cases. It seems to work a bit better than the H4350. I dont know why, just an observation.