The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old October 1, 2002, 11:31 AM   #1
moredes

Jackson Arms, San Francisco lead content in blood

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/forum/to...ral+Discussion

I ran across this article about blood screening for lead content; for those in San Francisco, be careful at this range.
Old October 1, 2002, 11:57 AM   #2
kalibear45

No problem, thats why I always shoot outside
Old October 2, 2002, 10:51 AM   #3
SteelEye

I'll say this in their defense...

Ownership has changed and they recently put in new ventilation. While I don't shoot indoors much, I recently went to the range on 2 occassions and found the owner to be very pleasant and easy to work with. As to the issue of ventilation, I shoot slowly and sit down often (not a spring chicken anymore). Sitting at the back of the range, I felt a breeze on me and realized that the ventilation was really sucking up the air. This gave me a much better feeling about shooting at this range.
Old October 2, 2002, 01:33 PM   #4
Sleuth

When I was instructing every day at our academy on an outdoor range, they tested my blood - it was below the normal range! There was a range officer who died of lead posining, he worked on an unveltelated indoor range in the basement of an old building back east.
Old October 15, 2002, 01:45 PM   #5
glockgirl

Living in the Pacific NW, where "winter" really translates to "the rainy season from mid-October to late May", I shoot exclusively at an indoor range. I try to make it to the range once a week, sometimes more, and spend approximately 3 hours at a time.

While I was pregnant, I had my blood lead level tested multiple times. Each time, the level was below "normal" or ambient lead levels. The key thing is to wash your hands frequently and well, especially after picking up brass or cleaning your weapon. While pregnant, I would wash my hands every time I thought of it. This is a pain, and probably unnecessary for the non-preggers shooter, but it made me feel better. In addition, I took a shower upon arriving home, paying careful attention to my hands, face, forearms, and hair...places where lead residue settles. Finally, I made the choice to shoot at a fairly modern indoor range, built specifically for that purpose (not converted from a warehouse or something) and equipped with a superior ventilation system.
Old November 7, 2002, 09:52 PM   #6
bladeruner69

Never liked that place anyway.