The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 3, 2009, 10:11 PM   #26
Jim Watson

Hodgdon manufactures Pyrodex and maybe 777. There is no sign that they manufacture any of their own smokeless powders. Hodgdon acquired IMR Powder of New York, the then distributor. The IMR plant is in Canada and is owned by General Dynamics.

It would be instructive to see the annual reports and see how much of the powder goes out through Hodgdon, considering that Gendye and ADI are major big defense contractors. Probably not a case of the tail wagging the dog.

Oh, yes, Hodgdon bought out Goex, so now they own the mill for real black powder as well as the fakes.

The Browning connection is just backwards. FN Herstal owns Browning.
Old May 3, 2009, 10:12 PM   #27
FrankenMauser

Quote:
In the same vein, were the Browning firearms made in Leige, Belgium really made by Browning, or were the ones made in Utah really Brownings? Or were they the ones made in Japan? (I don't know where the headquarters is located anymore, but it was once located in Utah.)
Browning headquarters are still located in a tranquil corner of Morgan, Utah. There are, however, no firearm manufacturing facilities on the site. It is simply a headquarters and testing location. (According to the last official statement I saw; and tours of the facility.)

And, thank you for finding the evidence I needed to support my stance that Hodgdon is a manufacturer.

Quote:
The Browning connection is just backwards. FN Herstal owns Browning.
As of now, yes. I belive the arguement was refering to the past, though.
Old May 3, 2009, 10:51 PM   #28
freakshow10mm

Quote:
Most is made in Belgium.......................Western Powders is nothing more then another company like Hodgdon....they distribute powder......
Ramshot is a brand of Western Powder Inc who is owned by Accurate Energetics Systems LLC who make the Ramshot powder and explosives for defense industries. Western Powder distributes Ramshot brand powder that is made by the ultimate parent company called Accurate Energetics Systems LLC. That is their relation ship. Ramshot is a name, Western Powder is a distributor, AES is the manufacturer.
Old May 3, 2009, 11:01 PM   #29
Jim Watson

Accurate Energetics lists only explosives as products, not propellants. Do they keep their business that separate? I never heard of a powder mill in Tennessee in modern times.
Old May 3, 2009, 11:10 PM   #30
freakshow10mm

Yes. I called Western Powders for some non-canister blends for my company and they said they just distribute powder and I needed to call their parent company that makes their powders for them. It was AES.
Old May 4, 2009, 07:43 PM   #31
BobCat45

Just got a couple of 5 lb. jugs of Alliant Reloder 15 from Wideners. Label says "MADE WITH PRIDE IN THE USA" across the bottom. No other markings to indicate it was made overseas.

I've been told that Alliant's "Reloder" series of powders was made somewhere in Europe, but these jugs say otherwise. Any info you choose to share is welcome - thanks in advance.

Regards,
Andrew
Old May 5, 2009, 02:42 PM   #32
DEDON45

I figure Hodgdon probably owns a couple of plants by now, with all the acquisitions, and probably has powder made elsewhere that it brands... doesn't matter to me, I like all their stuff anyway; IMR, WW (I lubs me some 748), Hodgdon, it all fuels my toys. I also am a fan of Accurate powders, if it burns I'll try a pound.

Interestingly, if you read about the Genesis of the Hodgdon company, I believe the original Mr. Hodgdon got his start selling old surplus military powder... that he didn't manufacture.
Old May 5, 2009, 04:49 PM   #33
wild willy

The Alliant powders I have 10X,19 and 22 say made in Sweden. The Unique and 2400 say made in USA
Old May 5, 2009, 06:30 PM   #34
BobCat45

Thanks! My Unique, Blue Dot, and Green Dot also say USA.
Old May 5, 2009, 06:38 PM   #35
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

I thought I would throw this out, just for giggles. I picked up 2 pounds of Accurate 2460 today. The containers were very old, I would guess they are at least 5 years old and maybe as much as 10 years old. Apparently this is not a commonly used product in my neck of the woods. There is a sticker on each container that says "Made in the Czech Republic" so rn22723 is correct..
Old May 7, 2009, 11:51 AM   #36
SIGP220

Hogdon does make Winchester powders

Yes, HP-38 is a good powder in the 9mm

Hp-38 is the same powder as Win 231 just in a different bottle

Mike Daly
Customer Satisfaction Manager
The Hodgdon Family of fine prpellants:
Hodgdon Powder Company
IMR Powder Company
Winchester Smokeless Powders
GOEX Powder Company
Pyrodex
Triple Seven
White Hots
Old May 7, 2009, 12:00 PM   #37
brickeyee

Hodgdon got its start after WWII selling surplus powders.

I have never heard of an Hodgdon making any smokeless.

I seem to remember them purchasing the rights to make pyrodex after the inventor (Pawlak) was killed in a manufacturing accident.