The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 31, 2017, 09:59 AM   #1
That Guy From Texas

Ruger or CZ?

I have been looking at the Ruger M77 VT in 6.5 creedmoor for some time now. The things that i liked were that it was stainless, had a bull barrel, that mauser style bolt action w/ claw extractor, and a two stage trigger.

Now, after having my CZ 75 PCR and shooting it, i was looking at the offerings from CZ. one that caught my eye was the CZ 550 FS. I always wished that ruger would have the M77 that i wanted in walnut, and this one has a beautiful walnut stock all the way down the barrel. i realize that it'll hurt accuracy when the barrel expands, but i'm using this for hunting and from what i read it sounds accurate. it too has the mauser action and it's about 2 pounds lighter. it also has the set trigger, which sounds really nice. my only issue is that it isn't stainless. i would also probably get it in 270 win or 30-06, given that it uses a long action for both long and short cases, i'd rather have a long case. plus i grew up with a 270 anyhow.

I'm at an impasse, i love both of them, but i feel like i don't need the ruger to hunt and it'll be rather heavy at over 9 lbs but that the CZ will leave much to be desired and it only drops 2 lbs which doesn't seem like a lot to me.

which would you choose and why?
Old October 31, 2017, 10:36 AM   #2
MrBorland

I had a CZ 550 in 6.5x55. Nice rifle, but it actually felt heavier than 7.2lbs. It's got a relatively long Length of Pull (LOP) as well - too long for me. Set trigger? Meh. IIRC, that "set" position" comes with lots of overtravel, and I hated it. I think I used it once or twice at the range when I first got it, then never after.

Also, those FS guns look cool, but those Bavarian buttstocks have a reputation for kicking rather stoutly - something to think about if you're getting a .30-06. Also, that style buttstock gets the barrel relatively higher so you can see the iron sights better, but it also means you'd be better off with lower rings and a scope with a smaller objective.

If you're looking for a Mauser-style alternative in stainless, check out Winchester's Model 70 Extreme Weather. It's not walnut-stocked, but it gets great reviews. The CZ Mauser action, IME, isn't quite as smooth and refined as the M70. The M70's LOP fits me better to boot.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/produc...eather-ss.html

Quote:
and it only drops 2 lbs which doesn't seem like a lot to me.
If you're looking for a lightweight stainless Mauser-style hunting rifle, check out the Kimber Hunter:

http://www.kimberamerica.com/hunter
Old October 31, 2017, 11:30 AM   #3
That Guy From Texas

Thank you, for some reason i always forget that Winchester makes rifles.

I'll definitely look into that.

It's sad to hear that the CZ set trigger has that overtravel, it sounded promising, but i can see why it would.

I'm not necessarily looking for a lightweight hunter, but just one that i won't kill myself if i have to go any distance on foot with it
Old October 31, 2017, 11:54 AM   #4
roashooter

I have two CZs with the single set triggers....and neither have "over travel"...so I am thinking MRBorland has something not adjusted correctly.

One is a FS and it is extremely accurate.
Old October 31, 2017, 12:01 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

Commercial hunting rifles are all pretty much the same. Toss a coin and buy on price.
"...(LOP) as well..." 14" with the Mannlicher stock. That is long. Easily fixed though.
Old October 31, 2017, 12:08 PM   #6
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy From Texas
I'm not necessarily looking for a lightweight hunter, but just one that i won't kill myself if i have to go any distance on foot with it
7lbs is a pretty standard weight for a hunting rifle. Unless you were elk hunting at 9,000 ft, it should be ok to carry around - at least to your stand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roashooter
I am thinking MRBorland has something not adjusted correctly
Could be - I never messed with it. I simply pushed it forward to it's "set" position. When pulled, broke quickly and lightly, but continued coming all the way back to it's original position.

At any rate, in any rifle, I'd take a clean-breaking trigger with little overtravel over one that's simply light any day. I haven't used a set trigger since, and haven't missed it (or even see the point).
Old October 31, 2017, 12:20 PM   #7
jackstrawIII

I have two 550's, one is an FS and one is the American model.

I love both and both are great shooters, but if I had to pick one it would be the American.

As a previous poster said, the FS model does feel very heavy in the hand.

Can't go wrong with a CZ 550 or the Winchester Model 70.
Old October 31, 2017, 12:38 PM   #8
DPris
Member Emeritus

I have the old Ruger International in .30-06, and the CZ 550FS in .30-06.

Some things to consider:

The CZ is slightly heavier.

It has a heavier barrel that doesn't heat up as rapidly as the Ruger, if that makes a difference to you.

It has (mine, but they vary) a very nice walnut with good grain pattern.

It shoots very well with iron sights.

The Bavarian stock appeals to me. It has a lower drop, which fits my longer neck perfectly, and works great with iron sights.

That Bavarian stock IS a trifle low for scope use.

The front white dot on the CZ is a bit small for me, I have a larger replacement dot that's much more visible. That's the only alteration I intend to make on this 550, nothing else needed.

The combination of sights and that rear Bavarian stock drop shoulders perfectly, the most naturally-aligning rifle I've ever fired. With only minimal repetitions, that rifle's sights are already aligned when I shoulder the gun, even in a hurry.
It is an excellent quick-reaction brush gun for close encounters of the fur & claw type. Would be the same for hunting in dense terrain. It's almost magical, for me.

I can get (and have) spare parts for it from CZ (firing pin, extractor).
It does have the set trigger, and mine has no overtravel.

The short barrel, the instant sight alignment, the looks, the parts situation, and the overall quality of the 550FS sold it for me, after working with it professionally.
The set-trigger's a bonus.

The Ruger is lighter, at least partly because of its lighter barrel.

The International bolt guns have a rep for rapidly heating up & shifting POI.
Mine does that, but not as bad as other owners have reported.

The Ruger generally benefits from bedding & free-floating, which reduces or eliminates the metal/wood interaction that affects accuracy when the barrel heats up. This doesn't happen with the CZ, and no additional work is needed with the CZ.

The front sight on the Ruger was too small to use, for me. Had to put aftermarket sights (aperture rear & dark post front) on it.

Had to get a trigger job done on the Ruger (now at slightly under 3 pounds).
Can't get key spare parts from Ruger, have to send the entire rifle in if something breaks, no home repairs.

I don't notice a recoil issue with the CZ.
I don't notice any accuracy problems whatever.
Denis
Old October 31, 2017, 01:14 PM   #9
reynolds357

I love my CZ set trigger. I tap it the same way I do my Jewel triggers in my bench guns.
Old October 31, 2017, 03:00 PM   #10
That Guy From Texas

ok, that's good to hear about the trigger.

how much heavier is the barrel on the CZ? that was one of the reasons i was looking at the VT version of the Ruger, was the bull barrel. i realize it won't be a bull barrel, but heavier than standard.

also, there is a lot of mention of the 30-06, which seems like a more versatile round. how is the recoil compared to the 270? (i grew up shooting my dad's 270 win)
Old October 31, 2017, 05:06 PM   #11
DPris
Member Emeritus

I can't give you a direct weight difference between the two, I've never weighed either barrel.
Also never shot a .270, so can't give you a subjective comparison.

I just don't see either .30-06 producing increased recoil levels, and I've never found either to be annoying.
Denis
Old October 31, 2017, 05:52 PM   #12
reynolds357

Recoil between 06 and 270 just depends on bullet weight. Shooting the same weight bullets, the 270 will actually recoil harder than the 06. A 130 in the 270 is pretty mild recoil. A 130 would be pretty useless in the 06.
Old October 31, 2017, 09:42 PM   #13
That Guy From Texas

Ah, I was thinking/saying (typing?) Weight, but I think the appropriate term was contour. Though, you can't see the barrel contour as easily either, with the stock and all

I may go ahead and get the 270 and if I need anything bigger it'll give me a good excuse to get another rifle in a bigger caliber.

Which I rather doubt I'll need, given there's not much opportunity for hunting moose down here
Old November 1, 2017, 02:43 AM   #14
eastbank

I bought a CZ-550 american in 6.5x55 and love it, it does every thing the much touted 6.5-CM does. a 139-140 at close 3000fps is doable. I found the set trigger easy to adjust. eastbank.
Old November 1, 2017, 07:09 AM   #15
4winds

The set trigger is a personal thing, my 550 didn't bother me for over travel, but I didn't use it much after sighting in.

In a shorter barrel, the 6.5x55 would have less blast and recoil than the 06 and 270.

The 550's bavarian stock SUCKS for a scope, felt clubby to me and perceived recoil was much higher than a straight stock. My 6.5x55 550FS had a sting to it like unlike the other Swedes I've shot.

Fullstocks are beautiful to my eye but more quirky when it comes to accuracy. I sold my 550FS and the rest of my full stocks.

If you want a light walkaround gun get the Kimber 84 Montana, in a short action, in whatever flavor between 243-308. Chop the barrel if you want or leave it as it is, it handles like a magic wand. It is also stainless and the trigger blows the other two away, plus that stock was meant to be scoped.

If you want a pretty gun to show off, look at or stick on the mantle get the fullstock.
Old November 1, 2017, 11:23 AM   #16
DPris
Member Emeritus

Preferences & perceptions do vary.

The Bavarian stock IS designed for irons, and it works very well with them.
As I mentioned previously, it's not as effective with glass.
If you plan to stick a scope on the gun, a higher stock would be a better fit.

As for recoil, I'm just not noticing a problem.
I worked with a 6.5 Swede 550FS a while back, it was an absolute sweetheart.
To this day I regret not buying it. I should have.
And the current .30-06 I don't find to be a problem in recoil, or wandering POI.

Accuracy on full-stocked rifles CAN be an issue, IF the barrel's not correctly set up in the stock.
If there's contact between steel & wood, as there is in the Ruger, as the barrel heats up with repeated firing it can bear against the stock & actually be very fractionally "bent", which moves point of impact.

The Ruger International boltguns are famous for that.
The CZ is actually somewhat free-floated.
Denis
Old November 1, 2017, 12:45 PM   #17
SaxonPig

Whatever my opinion is worth, I think the Mauser 98 is the pinnacle of bolt action design and nothing done since has been an improvement. Most of my bolt guns are 98s. The CZ550 is a true Mauser 98 design. I have one in 30-06 that I like very much.

Old November 1, 2017, 07:23 PM   #18
dgludwig

I have several Ruger bolt-action rifles, one of them being a short-action, Model 77 MKII International, chambered in .308 Winchester. Mine has been plenty accurate and handles quickly in the close cover I find myself in where I hunt whitetails. I've never hunted with a CZ rifle and the only thing I know of that I would have objection to is the "reverse" direction safety-not a "deal-breaker", but something to consider.
Old November 1, 2017, 07:35 PM   #19
DPris
Member Emeritus

There is no reverse direction safety on the 550.

Three position.
Rear is sear & bolt lock, forward to middle position unlocks bolt but leaves sear locked.
Fully forward to FIRE position unlocks everything.

You're thinking of the rimfire, which IS backwards.

I have one of those in full stock form, too.
I can live with the reversed safety on a plinking rimfire.
Denis
Old November 2, 2017, 03:40 AM   #20
Venom1956

Also the 550 is being replaced by the 557 series which while probably just as accurate if not more so it is a push feed vs controlled feed. So if you've got a shot at a 550 you want you better get it now. I've got the 550fs in 308 shortly before it sold out.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old November 2, 2017, 06:36 AM   #21
That Guy From Texas

Well I won't have a chance to get it until next year, that issue of funding and all. If it's gone before I can get it, then I guess it really is tough luck. Though the CZ website scroll has it up, so I guess they haven't stopped producing them yet
Old November 2, 2017, 12:57 PM   #22
DPris
Member Emeritus

Two years ago when I was doing a Kindle book on CZ products that included the 550, I was told by CZ that they'd be phasing the 550s out as the 557s replaced them.

The 557 I had for testing in that book was a good shooter, but I prefer a controlled-round feeder.

I don't know how long the 550s will be produced.
If the FS versions are still actually available, you'd better work out the financing now, somehow.
Denis
Old November 2, 2017, 03:40 PM   #23
Pathfinder45

Since you are not in a hurry, then do yourself a favor and promise yourself not to buy either until you have taken the opportunity to handle the Winchester model 70 Featherweight and the full-size model 70 Sporter, both in Walnut, of course. 270 Winchester is the preferred caliber, but here are some Featherweights out there in 6.5x55 Swedish that are worthy of consideration. If you really need a 30-'06, consider the model 70 Alaskan. Stainless is alright, but I feel that it's over-rated.
Old November 2, 2017, 04:27 PM   #24
dgludwig

Quote:
I can live with the reversed safety on a plinking rimfire.
Me too. Thanks for the correct information.
Old November 2, 2017, 05:41 PM   #25
ms6852

If you do not want any regrets get the CZ. Mine is highly accurate and as far as recoil I've been shooting 30-06 for 50 years there just ain't no recoil...just a love tap.