The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 28, 2007, 06:27 PM   #1
MElrodR

Stoeger Pump?? Any Good??

I am buying my brother a pump for Christmas. He does not shoot much, but he would like to have one. I have shot the stoeger auto's before, but I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Stoeger P-350?? Is it any good. I can get one for a pretty dang good price. I am an 870 man, but just wanted to check for opinions. Thanks
Old November 28, 2007, 06:33 PM   #2
Full-choke

Don't know too much about them except that they model the Benelli Nova quite a bit, but that is to be expected. I have handled them and they seem quite sturdy and well made. My Condor has always been my go to pigeon gun, always been a good shooter for me.

The one I would seriously consider is the H&R Pardner Pump. Those things are built like all H&R gear, like a tank. I have never shot one but every time I handle one I can't resist the feel. I am seriously considering one for a dedicated slug gun just for the fact that it is cheap and I don't care what happens to it in the woods.

But, Stoeger makes a good gun, it is basically a Benelli with a lessened fit and finish. The functionality is all there, dependability is good, just doesn't quite look as sharp on the outside.

F-C
Old November 28, 2007, 07:13 PM   #3
Doyle

Let me offer another option. I've heard mixed reviews of all Stoeger products. Why risk going with an unknown entity? You can buy a rock solid Mossberg Maverick 88 at Walmart for $170 any day. I've never heard one bad word about the Maverick (except that they are kind of ugly).
Old November 30, 2007, 09:40 AM   #4
Neanderthal

I own and shoot two Stoegers, a Condor and a 2000. Both have been totally trouble-free! 100% perfect. However, I have no experience with their pump. I can tell you, however, that Stoeger does not, and never has produced a gun of any kind! They are an importer only. Warehouse, yes. Factory never. The Condors are made in Brazil and the 2000 semi-auto and the p-350 pump are made by Vursan in Turkey, using the most modern computerized equipment. Also, Beretta owns Benelli, Stoeger, Franchi, Uberti, Sako and Tikka. I know the quality of firearms coming out of Vursan's plant has improved dramatically in the last year or so, mostly because the Beretta group has deep pockets and made sure their equipment and quality control improved. My 2000 looks like a Benelli Montefeltro. I went hunting with a man last week for 2 days that carried a Monte. As much as I love my 2000, his Montefeltro's action was ten times smoother, though no more reliable. No problems is no problems, right? Also, a Monte is priced about 3 times higher than my 2000. I believe they did not want the smoothness to compare. They are not stupid.