The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old January 13, 2024, 09:28 PM   #1
deerslayer303

Small Bore Silhouette Rifle

I made the first trip to my gun club today for the Small bore match. I went to observe but I did take my trusty tree rat rifle. A Savage MkII F (accutrigger) with a Simmons Pro Target scope. The range had a huge standing puddle encompassing the 60 and 77 meter berms. So they called it off and just set out some chickens at 40 and some Rams at 100. I took out the savage, loaded some standard velocity Federal and started trying this on for size. It is VERY challenging but quickly drew me in. I did manage to hit some at both distances but quickly realized this rifle may not be the best option for this stuff. This rifle is very light and my biggest complaint is the 10 round mag hanging out the bottom preventing me from the hold I want to try. So, What are some good cost effective rifles or options? I would like to stay in the hunter class. Could a wood stock for the savage increase the weight some. The only other 22 rifle I have is a new ( shot a few mags out of it) bone stock, basic wood stocked 10/22.

Thanks for you time.
Old January 15, 2024, 07:33 AM   #2
jmr40

I've never tried shooting Silhouette, but I do shoot quite often at 100 yards and sometimes as far as 200-250 yards with my 22's.

I'm not familiar with that Savage but would think with ammo it likes that it is capable out to at least 100 yards. You just need some trigger time at that range to figure out the trajectory.

My Tikka T1 is my most accurate rifle. The 10 round mag does protrude slightly, but it isn't enough to bother me. It's pretty consistent for sub 1" 5 shot groups at 100 yards. In calm conditions it will keep 5 shots under 2" at 200 yards.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021651887

Your 10-22 may be accurate enough. Accuracy on those varies a lot. Most of the standard rifles aren't accurate enough, but I've seen some exceptions. I have these Rugers and like them much better. They aren't that much more expensive. This is only about $80 more than a standard 10/22.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_...r+20+hogue+blk

This has a midweight target barrel along with the Ruger BX trigger. It isn't quite as accurate as the Tikka especially past 100 yards, but it is fun to shoot.

These are a little more common and I have an older version of this. Mine doesn't have the threaded barrel but is otherwise the same rifle. I've added the BX trigger and with it is just as accurate as the previous rifle.

https://ruger.com/products/1022Sport...ets/31167.html

Winston Churchill
Old January 15, 2024, 07:33 PM   #3
deerslayer303

Thanks Jmr40 for the reply and suggestions. Definitely something to think about. I may just end up modding the Ruger I have since I already have it.
Old February 5, 2024, 01:15 PM   #4
stagpanther

What were the other guys shooting? IMO when precision shooting 22lr never underestimate how much scope you need--if you spent less on it than the rifle--probably not going to get you in the game.
Old February 5, 2024, 03:58 PM   #5
FrankenMauser

What type of silhouette shooting?
Positional?
Prone-supported?
Prone-unsupported?
Bench-rested?
Upside-down, hanging from a rope?

Setting a rifle up for supported shooting requires a different approach than setting up for positional shooting, which are both different than setting a rifle up for benchrest, etc.
Which means the starting point can be important, and not every rifle is readily suited to modifications for each application.

Overall, your 10/22 is probably a good starting point. It can be tweaked and reconfigured to suit pretty much every shooting sport.
If these matches have "long" range targets regularly (say, 125+ yd), I'd slap a 20 or 30 MoA scope base on there, so you still have room to dial in the scope.
For glass, I'd recommend the Athlon Heras (FFP models). It is a lot of scope for the money. And you'll probably need it. In rimfire shooting, you'll see windage and elevation adjustments at 75 yards that a .308 Win or 6.5 Creed shooter doesn't see until they're at 400+ yards.

You'll want to find good ammo and stick with it. The most popular 'budget' option is CCI Standard Velocity - a subsonic 40 gr RN. Subsonic, because normal HV ammo can destabilize when it goes trans-sonic, which happens very quickly with .22 LR. Here, at ~5,800 ft asl, CCI Mini-Mag or CCI Blazer ammo, 1,235 fps rated MV, goes trans-sonic at about 72-74 yards. But if you drop to sea level, it is more like 60-62 yards.

I shoot NRL22. Our club shoots 25-380 yd on the main firing line, and up to about 475 yd for field matches. My primary rifle is a little shy of 10 lb. Heavy for a .22, but fairly light for the sport. About 20% of the rifles on the line at our local matches will weigh between 16 and 29 lb. Because all of the shooting is rested/supported, and the heavier the rifle, the more stable it is. (Club stages sometimes being an exception for 1-2 shots to start a stage.)

My son shoots a 10/22 compact that weighed around 7 lb last week, with a Magpul X-22 stock (for easy rail attachment and wider fore-end), and an Athlon Neos 2-12x. But, we just slapped a huge monstrosity of a telescope on there - an Arken SH-4 (4-16x) - in conjunction with with a new Kidd barrel, and it is 8.6 lb now. Nearly too heavy for him, but still light enough that most shooters would feel unstable and unsteady.

Most of the mentality of "heavier = better" crosses over to other disciplines, as well, like ARA Bullseye and PRS22. (To prescribed limits for certain classes, of course.)

In contrast, I have spent a lot of time, recently, talking with competitors in Steel Challenge. There, they want short, light, and as minimalistic and simplistic as possible. Of course, speed is the key, so nearly everything is semi-auto.
10/22s in Steel Challenge often weigh about 3.5 lb, or less; being a receiver and trigger group, small chassis and light weight stock, and no fore-end (they grip the barrel). I know one competitor that doesn't even use sights or an optic. "90% of targets are so close that you don't need them. The other 10% get taken care of with practice and familiarity." If he does get presented with a 40+ yard target, he uses the high bore axis to benefit, by lining up the crown of the receiver with the tip of the barrel, and holding bottom of target until he figures out the correction, if needed.
Old February 21, 2024, 07:34 PM   #6
ZoieBarnett

Adding a wood stock to your Savage MkII F could indeed increase its weight and potentially improve stability for shooting. You can explore aftermarket wood stocks specifically designed for the Savage MkII series, which may offer better ergonomics and balance. Additionally, you can look into upgrading your magazine to a lower-profile option or a different magazine configuration that allows for a more comfortable hold.