The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old June 2, 2008, 12:26 PM   #1
SundownRider

Going back to IDPA

A number of years ago I attended and shot at my first IDPA match in Tulsa, OK. Apart from some ammo issues, I had a great time. I recently learned that the club I shoot CAS at hosts IDPA matches. So I will be attending my second IDPA match in August, giving me time to practice and take care of some other issues. As well as read all the rules and such.

I have an XD 40 I plan to use (It's the only auto I have right now.), and I recently purchased a Blackhawk Serpa holster for it. Can I use this in IDPA?

Secondly, are there any recommendations for a concealment vest? Here in Illinois we don't have the option to carry so the issue never came up before.

Thanks for all your hep.
" Of every One-Hundred men, Ten shouldn't even be there, Eighty are nothing but targets, Nine are real fighters... We are lucky to have them...They make the battle. Ah, but the One, One of them is a Warrior... and He will bring the others back."
- Heraclitus (circa 500 BC)
Old June 2, 2008, 01:24 PM   #2
bluedog

I have used the BH Serpa with my 1911....it is OK to use in IDPA. Most of the shooters I see either use one the tactical style vests (really nice but kind of expensive) or they use some sort of more 'common' cover such as a long shirt or light jacket....a 'tall' light weight fleece vest is comfortable and effective.
Old June 2, 2008, 03:30 PM   #3
j1132s

Yes you can use the blackhawk serpa holster in IDPA. I've used it w/ its belt attachment (actually my carry holster and gun) in many regional and state matches. You'll be at a slight disadvantage due to its active retention mechanism.

I use the 5.11 vest. This vest is very nice in that it is heavy and has these stiff velcro panels inside the sides. When you fling it open it doesn't catch on things.
Old June 2, 2008, 11:38 PM   #4
David Hineline

The photographers vest

If you want the photographer/fishing/shoot me first type vest look then Woorich tactical makes the best, 511 being the cheaper option. Woolrich also makes the loose fitting Hawian print type loose shirt with splits up the side for weapon access. Being a bit on the fat side also helps for concealment, being extremely fat is perfect because no one will give you a glance let alone study you for long trying to spot a gun.
Old June 3, 2008, 07:02 PM   #5
9mm1033

Regarding a concealment vest, I wear (as do many other club members shooting at my local IDPA) a Woolrich Elite. Shop around for prices, here's a site with a photo: http://www.botachtactical.com/wolidicave.html
Old June 3, 2008, 07:41 PM   #6
Ken O

A few years ago I bought the Smith & Alexander vest thats advertised on page 10 of the last (second quarter) Tactical Journal (the IDPA magazine). It cost $32. It works just fine, and its real light.
Old June 5, 2008, 10:18 AM   #7
SundownRider

Thanks for the replies, I knew I could count on you guys.
" Of every One-Hundred men, Ten shouldn't even be there, Eighty are nothing but targets, Nine are real fighters... We are lucky to have them...They make the battle. Ah, but the One, One of them is a Warrior... and He will bring the others back."
- Heraclitus (circa 500 BC)
Old July 1, 2008, 02:30 PM   #8
Corbin Dallas

Somethings I can tell you after 1 year of IDPA matches.

The "Sport" was to promote "real life" situations (Please use the terms real life as loosly as possible) and test the shooters ability in said situation. With that said, it is a "SPORT" and in any sport there are a TON of gamers.

If you are going to matches to better understand your limitations, congradulations!!! You understand what IDPA was intended for. If you are there to run a hopped up gun discretely and game every stage wearing some type of tactical vest like a mall ninja, take the time to realize you will never be able to do this in public, unless your intent is to end up dead or in prison for a very long time.

Also, your XD will bump your class to ESP (Enhanced service pistol) due to the way the XD's firing pin and spring are designed. I really don't know why, but it is what it is. If classes are not a major concern, then don't worry about it and shoot what you got.

I started off in IDPA not really knowing what I wanted out of the sport, however after a year, the only upgrade I have done regarding IDPA matches is well, me. My glock remains completely stock, no special sights, recoil reducing springs, trigger jobs, etc. I even began reloading about 6 months in, but found powderpull loads to be boring.

As for cover, I wear a t-shirt (mainly because it's hot out here sometimes). Think about real life. If you carry concealed, are you going to use a serpa? Probably not. More likely you'll have some leather IWB (in the waistband) holster and a t-shirt, button down, sweater or jacket hanging over it. I know, because that's what I do and I'm just like you.

Remember, IDPA is a sport, but more importantly, it's a sport that tests your abilities under pressure. Granted you're not being shot at, but the clock and your own mind can create enough pressure.

You'll get out of IDPA what you want, be it fun, sport, or a test of your training.

GL! and remember - ENJOY!!!!
Old July 1, 2008, 07:04 PM   #9
Jim Watson

SERPA is ok, but you really have to practice until hitting the release is second nature. Saw a cop who bought one for off duty have to figure out the combination at a match and it was not pretty.

A cheap concealment garment would be an old-style 4-pocket BDU shirt with the sleeves removed for Summer wear.
Old July 10, 2008, 03:03 PM   #10
RickB

Hawaiian shirts are a popular concealment garment, in my area. I try to keep a selection of mild to wild on hand, and they're usually about $10 at Ross.
Old July 16, 2008, 02:11 PM   #11
jsykes

Technically, according to the rules the Serpa is not legal for IDPA and was told this by my local club. They said that most of the time no one would give you a hard time about it, but, by the letter of the law its not legal.

That is due to the fact that there is space between the body of the holster and the attachment point. If you look at your SERPA, it is set off from the belt loops and that makes it not legal according to the rules.

Now, if IDPA has said its an approved holster I could be wrong, but strictly upon reading the rules and talking to a local IDPA group, its technically not legal.

From the IDPA rulebook:

Quote:
F. Can have no offset backpieces and/or belt slots. The holster
may not offset away from the belt and/or body. No gap is
permitted in the following areas:

1. From the body to the inside of the belt.
2. From the outside of the belt to the inside of the
backpiece and/or backside of the holster.
3. From the outside of the backpiece to the inside of
the holster.

If you look through the belt slot area of the holster with it on
the belt/body, you should not be able to see any daylight. If
you can see through this belt tunnel area, the holster is not
approved.
Old August 14, 2008, 07:48 AM   #12
BHP9

I'm using a Blackhawk CQC (Serpa without the lock) for IDPA and IPSC Production, but with the paddle.
Old August 14, 2008, 06:09 PM   #13
GoSlash27

The fastest holsters I have are both plain-jane Uncle Mike's IWB holsters. For concealment garment, I just use a regular short-sleeve overshirt. I also use a regular black leather belt.
No sense in doing IDPA any differently than real-life IMO.

I'm the skinny dude with the clipboard. I've got a Beretta 96FS and 2 mags on me there, but I wouldn't get a second look on the street.
Old August 14, 2008, 09:56 PM   #14
Sigma 40 Blaster

I see plenty of those holsters and guns in IDPA. You'll do fine.

I just got in my vest from www.concealedcarry.com. It cost a little more than I would like (I'm a plus size guy) but it's comfortable and cool, even in the heat of TX.

I'm going to wear it out and about tomorrow with some khaki shorts and white T-shirt. I imagine it'll be nice when I use it Saturday for my action pistol match.