The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 6, 2012, 12:21 PM   #1
coolhand35

Dry fire Remmington 1911 R1 w/o slide

Hey guys while cleaning my 1911 today I accidentally pulled the trigger with the slide removed and the hammer dropped(idiot mistake)! I was just wondering if i did any damage and if there was anyway to check if any damage was done to it?...Thanx for any input!!
Old October 6, 2012, 03:38 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

If the hammer didn't break, you probably got away with it. Obviously, it's not a good idea or Brownells wouldn't be selling a fixture that allows dry firing with the slide removed.
Old October 7, 2012, 06:53 AM   #3
polyphemus

At this point,detail strip your firearm and carefully inspect all parts for possible
damage,in particular:sear,hammer,trigger bar and plunger lever.Reassemble and function test.The learning curve can be steep.
Old October 7, 2012, 07:01 AM   #4
Nathan

The key inspection point is the frame. With the slide off, there is a thin shelf which the hammer hits when dry fired. It can crack or peen this spot. Cracking being th main concern as it is quite thin!

So, lower the hammer slow, see where it hits, inspect with magnification and be done.
Old October 7, 2012, 07:12 AM   #5
g.willikers

Don't sweat it, everyone has probably done this, at one time or another.
If the frame was damaged by an occasional miscue like this, it's probably not good enough quality to even use.
But to satisfy yourself, check it out as described above.
And try not to do it anymore.
Old October 7, 2012, 01:44 PM   #6
10mmAuto

It's probably fine, don't make a habit of doing it. If it helps, do your weapons disassemble/reassemble process in a work area with the most proper takedown and reassembly procedure written on a white board so you don't forget to active the thumb safety once the slide is off the frame.
Old October 7, 2012, 01:51 PM   #7
drail

I would rather just lower the hammer down. With the slide off some thumb safeties will rotate up far enough (without the slide cut to stop it) that the safety will not hold the sear. The thumb safety's lug has to be lined up just right with the sear for positive function. This also keeps your friends from picking up your frame and pulling the trigger before you can stop them.