The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 17, 2023, 09:09 PM   #1
Armybrat

New Henry 9mm semiauto carbine

Traditional looking with its walnut stock…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlZQxd83Z74
Old January 17, 2023, 09:16 PM   #2
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
Traditional looking with its walnut stock…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlZQxd83Z74
I saw the TFB video on YouTube earlier today. This would be a sweet little truck rifle. So love going old school. All this modern stuff is cool, but nice to have a step back into the way things used to be. Walnut and blued, but with the modern convenience of mag adapters, capable of a pic rail and suppressor.
Old January 18, 2023, 03:14 AM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Looks nice, but I wish the front furniture wasn't as square as a 2x4.
Jeepaholic
Old January 18, 2023, 05:55 AM   #4
jetinteriorguy

I’m pretty tempted. I have a 9mm carbine now but like the classic looks of this one. But honestly, I just wish Henry would make more of what they already have and not just more new stuff. I’ve been looking for a .357 BBS with a side loading gate for a few years now, and every time one comes up they want $1100.00-$1300.00 for it. I’d go $900.00 but good luck with that.
Old January 18, 2023, 10:33 AM   #5
FrankenMauser

Hey, they made a centerfire Crosman 760 Pumpmaster.
Old January 18, 2023, 11:58 AM   #6
stagpanther

Hmmm...I'm a big fan of almost everything Henry makes--and I can see the niche they are aiming for with this--but I'll take a pass. I guess I already have too many 9mm guns/carbines--I'm "9mm outed."
Old January 18, 2023, 12:06 PM   #7
USAF Ret

Would love 10mm to go along with my 1911.
Old January 18, 2023, 12:20 PM   #8
stagpanther

Quote:
Would love 10mm to go along with my 1911.
I went through a 10mm phase as well, got handguns and carbine in 10mm also, even made a 9 x 25 dillon out of a glock 20SF. I have a smorgasboard of handguns to choose from but I always end up with good old 45 acp as my home defense handgun of choice.
Old January 18, 2023, 12:28 PM   #9
44caliberkid

Yeah, the forend could use a little more rounded shape, but otherwise a good looking carbine that doesn’t look like it was made for a science fiction movie. I like that the receiver has a Browning designed shape to it. Some kind of locking bolt system would have been nice. Straight blow back seems like a lazy way out to get into production quickly. But otherwise, I like the features and it seems like they have a winner there.
Old January 18, 2023, 11:32 PM   #10
bamaranger

Crossman

Yeah, that's the first thing I thought of too! Once I got past that, I considered the old Winchester SLR rifles.

I like the looks of the thing, but not exactly cheap!
Old January 19, 2023, 03:44 AM   #11
Hawg

I wouldn't mind having one but not for that price.
Old January 19, 2023, 12:12 PM   #12
PolarFBear

The price IS a little steep. As just a blowback it is hard to justify the difference in price between the Henry, with its 2X4 forestock, and a used High Point carbine.
Old January 19, 2023, 12:50 PM   #13
BarryLee

Accepting GLOCK magazines provides lots of options. While I might add it to my Wish list not sure it would ever end up on top.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old January 20, 2023, 11:31 AM   #14
44caliberkid

I was watching a video of Shot Show 2023 this morning and Springfield is coming out with a St. Victor 9mm PCC. Still blowback, but uses Colt 9mm AR magazines. Mag well is scaled down to fit snug around the mag. Some people prefer these because they aren’t at the extreme angle that Glock mags are. Not the wood and steel classic look of the Henry though.
Old January 20, 2023, 11:48 AM   #15
Jim Watson

Quote:
uses Colt 9mm AR magazines.
Maybe they don't want to do anything to promote the sale of Glocks.
How about a SA PCC for XD magazines?

I figure the Henry is for that niche in time when semiautos are still allowed but Bad Gun ARs are not.
Old January 20, 2023, 01:10 PM   #16
stagpanther

Quote:
Some people prefer these because they aren’t at the extreme angle that Glock mags are.
I have both glock and colt magazine AR's, colt's approach is superior IMO.
Old January 22, 2023, 07:46 PM   #17
ChuteTheMall

Fudds got wood finally.
Old January 23, 2023, 12:13 AM   #18
bamaranger

Fudds

I own firearms of all types, classic and modern. " I'm for any sport that burns powder. ".....(Elmer Keith). I like the retro look of this new Henry. I do not like the inference of the label Fudd.
Old January 23, 2023, 12:45 AM   #19
TruthTellers

In a world where the Ruger PC Carbine and Glock magazine adapters for AR lowers exist, not too mention more tactical stuff like Kel Tec Sub2000's or cheaper, yet quality Hi Point carbines are still popular, this Henry PCC seems to only offer one thing that the others don't and that's look good for a more premium price.

I remember sending Henry an email years ago suggesting to them that they consider making conversion kits for their lever actions so that people in very restrictive areas like NYC or California could have a rifle that holds 15 or 20 rounds of .38 Short Colt or .45 Cowboy Special in the tube. I got no response, which I find curious because all the firearm manufacturers make something that caters to the ban states, but I guess that is only for semi autos, levers and pump actions need not apply.

Why Henry jumped on the PCC market is curious, it's pretty saturated as it is. That said, if Henry decided to make a .30 Carbine PCC that was under a grand and was basically an enhanced M1 Carbine, I would certainly take a look.
Old January 23, 2023, 03:49 AM   #20
stagpanther

Quote:
I got no response, which I find curious because all the firearm manufacturers make something that caters to the ban states, but I guess that is only for semi autos, levers and pump actions need not apply.
Call em up--you can talk to Anthony himself if you get no satisfaction from support. He's no BS we stand 100% our stuff no matter what it takes.
Old February 1, 2023, 12:31 AM   #21
40nascar

A nice looking carbine. If it weighs at least 1/2 pound less than the Ruger I may seriously consider it. Reminds me somewhat of the old Marlin camp carbine.
Old February 4, 2023, 03:00 AM   #22
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I like that the receiver has a Browning designed shape to it. Some kind of locking bolt system would have been nice. Straight blow back seems like a lazy way out to get into production quickly.
It may seem lazy to you but designing a locking system the gun doesn't need simply adds to complexity, and COST.

Quote:
all the firearm manufacturers make something that caters to the ban states,
Not everyone of them does. Barrett doesn't, and makes a point of it in their ads, last time I checked. And I heard there are some Ruger models which Ruger refuses to submit for CA approval.

Looks like Henry is trying out the idea of the Marlin Camp Carbine, but with a bit better styling. It is refreshing to see something new that isn't covered in "tacticool" attachments .
Old February 4, 2023, 09:19 AM   #23
Shadow9mm

Has a lot of potential. I jusy hope its does not weigh as much as the ruger pc carbine. It looked so cool, until you picked it up...
Old February 6, 2023, 04:42 AM   #24
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
Call em up--you can talk to Anthony himself if you get no satisfaction from support. He's no BS we stand 100% our stuff no matter what it takes.
Firstly, I don't like talking on the phone.

Here's my issue with the idea I floated to Henry a couple years ago because my focus was on shorter cartridges that aren't commonly available and are basically only a proposition for reloaders. No manufacturer supports reloaders, they're always going to dissuade people from making their own ammo to use in their guns for liability reasons. Where the ammo comes from shouldn't make a difference because the point isn't to make a firearm that has factory ammo available, it's to make a firearm that sells.

There would probably be some CAS shooters or other competitive shooters who would like a lever action that holds 15 rds in a tube with a 16 inch barrel.

Now with the Bruen case setting a new precedent for 2A cases, I see a lot of the state based restrictions being removed, so I can see why Henry wouldn't bother now.
Old February 6, 2023, 11:51 AM   #25
stagpanther

I once reached out to Howa to ask them if they would make me a barrel for one of their receivers that wasn't in their regular line-up; the word I got back was something along the lines of "sure, as long as you buy a thousand of them after we retool the production line."