The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 1, 2018, 01:16 PM   #1
SCSCHNUR

Mistake in primers

I loaded some 224 valkyrie and i made a mistake and didn't double look at my primers and they were pistol primers. Can i go ahead and shoot these or should i reload them?
Old July 1, 2018, 01:27 PM   #2
CarJunkieLS1

Pull the primers the pistol primers will not take the higher pressure that the rifle round produces. It will likely pierce the primers and could etch your bolt face and damage the firing pin.
Old July 1, 2018, 01:28 PM   #3
mehavey

The 224V is a mid-high 55+ksi cartridge.
Pistol primers would "more-than-likely" pierce/fail.
https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads...4-Valkyrie.pdf
Old July 1, 2018, 01:46 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

Welcome to the forum.

A third caution on the piercing and gas cutting of pits into your bolt face. I limit small pistol primers to under 43,500 psi. This is based on the fact some use them in the .22 Hornet, which is sensitive to excess primer pressure. It has a SAAMI MAP of 43,000 CUP, with no psi standard, but the CIP limits it to 3000 bar, which is 43,500 psi, same as their limit for the .357 Magnum, so it seems like a good number not to surpass. Note, too, that some primers have stronger cups than others. For that reason, your actual best bet is to contact the manufacturer of your particular make of primer and ask what pressure limit they feel is safe with their product.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 1, 2018, 02:57 PM   #5
lordmorgul

I would not do that even with 5.56mm pressures much less Valkyrie, pull the bullets, it’s less expensive than damage to rifle.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / CRPA / FPC / USCCA member
Old July 1, 2018, 03:10 PM   #6
hounddawg

another vote for pull em

here is a good link for primer specs so you can see the difference in cup thickness

https://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=56422.0

when you are doing load workups for the Valkyrie keep us update, not much out about it yet
Old July 1, 2018, 03:32 PM   #7
RC20

Go with the pull it advice. A lot of times I don't agree, but fully on board with the right thing to do in this case as recommended by all.

3 people have listed very good backup information to support that.
Old July 20, 2018, 07:23 AM   #8
HiBC

I have seen this happen in some 308 intended for AR-10 type rifles.
Large pistol primers were used.

I fired a few in my DPMS. While I don't put too much stock in reading primers,I do observe them for "sign"

The sign was neat little round holes. I had fired only a few.I did not know the cause,so I put the rifle away for that range trip. I did not load them.

A later loading room trash can search found a large pistol primer empty 100 pkg.

Bolt disassembly showed the little discs entered the bolt via the firing pin hole.

I suppose there is potential for those to jam the firing pin into a fixed firing pin mode. That could cause out of battery ignition. That would be bad.

Observing my firing pin under 10X I saw minor gas etching.A new firing pin was cheap. Unclenick is right,gas cutting can happen very fast.

I would not shoot them.

No lecture,we are fallible humans. The pain of pulling the bullets and salvaging them is a motivation to upgrade storage and process so it won't happen again.

Be grateful it was pistol primers and not pistol powder!
Old July 20, 2018, 10:47 AM   #9
craddleshooter

It will be best to reload them, that’s way you are sure about you load. The math behind reload is everything. We all hate factory ammo that are unlivable and that happens because of miscalculation.
Old July 20, 2018, 09:21 PM   #10
std7mag

Another vote for pull them.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old July 20, 2018, 09:45 PM   #11
jhansman

One of the 10 rules of reloading (though there are likely a lot more than 10) I keep on my bench: When in doubt, throw it out. If I'm not 100% sure of a round, it gets un-made and recycled. Better safe than....well, you know.
Old July 20, 2018, 10:53 PM   #12
Grey_Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansman View Post
One of the 10 rules of reloading (though there are likely a lot more than 10) I keep on my bench: When in doubt, throw it out. If I'm not 100% sure of a round, it gets un-made and recycled. Better safe than....well, you know.
DITTO!!!

if it's not something I'd defend my family with - scrap it......
Old July 21, 2018, 07:41 AM   #13
rodfac

I wouldn't, pressures are going to be too high for a pistol cap. The following gives the reason:
Quote:
Pull the primers the pistol primers will not take the higher pressure that the rifle round produces. It will likely pierce the primers and could etch your bolt face and damage the firing pin.
Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old July 21, 2018, 08:26 AM   #14
gwpercle

Do you have a bullet puller ? If not , time to get one . I have been using a Kinetic type for the last 50 years. It will not damage pulled bullets and you can reuse them.

Next....how do you deprime primed cases , the answer is .....very slowly ! Not kidding you can get a universal depriming die from Lee or adjust your standard die to deprime without resizing the case all the way. This is done so you can feel the live primers being pushed out. The trick is to go gently , slowly and wear ear protection just in case one pops. I have deprimed hundreds of live primed cases (you aren't the only one ) none went off and I even reused the primers. Remember do it slow and gently.
After getting the live primers out I resized and reprimed the cases then loaded ........
Depriming a live case isn't as dangerous as it seems , keep your face and fingers away from the die top ...just in case .

Welcome to the forum !
Gary
Old July 21, 2018, 02:28 PM   #15
RC20

I did some tests on a reversed primer to see how hard it was to set off (heavy gloves, goggles, ear protection)

It took a sharp pointed nail and a good blow.

Not easy

While I don't recommend it to anyone, I have no issue de-prming with a sizing die. Just very slowly.

That said by far the best bullet puller is the Hornady with the lever, the Kinetic is fine for two or 3 but a whole bunch? The Hornady collet type is best and the Hornady itself is very good.

I am not a big fan of Hornady equipment, but that item is great.
Old July 21, 2018, 02:55 PM   #16
Unclenick
Staff

Agree on the Hornady Cam Lok bullet puller. I had to do over 1,000 surplus rounds I had in which the powder was rapidly deteriorating. I'd have turned most of it over to the fire department before I got close to finishing them with a kinetic puller. I also had to run those deteriorating loads through a seater to crack the seal before I pulled them. Some had verdigris on the necks where the case had corroded through, and those were hopeless and had to go for disposal anyway. But I got over 1000 of the original 1200 pulled down.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 21, 2018, 05:54 PM   #17
gwpercle

I did 500 military 30-06 AP rounds with the kinetic puller....after breaking the bullet crimp and seal , by seating the bullets just 1/16th inch deeper , sitting on the concrete floor and with two or three whacks it would pull the bullet . Didn't do them all at once .
That was late 1960's and I was young, tough and dirt poor ! Couldn't afford the more expensive collet pullers....today though the Hornady might be easier !
I still have some of those primed military cases...they last a long time .

Gary