The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 2, 2009, 12:44 PM   #1
Smoke

Proper OAL for .38 Special 148 gr. HBSWC?

Just loaded up 3.1 gr. Bullseye for my .38 Special with Speer 148 gr. HBSWC bullets. I heard that this was a great round for target practice, so wanted to try them. Just cannot find proper OAL to check with my caliper and adjust depth of bullet seating. What is the OAL for a factory load? Thanks for any help!
Smoke
Old March 2, 2009, 01:53 PM   #2
oneounceload

148 is usually a WC bullet, not a SWC bullet. If it is indeed, a WC, seat flush with the top of the case.
Old March 2, 2009, 02:00 PM   #3
mkl

As oneounceload said, the Speer Manual #12 says for the 148 grain HB-WC:

Quote:
Note: Seat bullets flush with case mouth.
The manual does not show a HBSWC.
Old March 2, 2009, 02:17 PM   #4
wncchester

Lead bullets almost universally have a crimping groove. Seat them there and crimp them there.
Old March 2, 2009, 02:38 PM   #5
zxcvbob

Hollow-base wadcutters usually don't have a crimp groove, so you seat the bullet flush with the case mouth and lightly crimp over the top.

Double-ended wadcutters or bevel-base wadcutters usually have a crimp groove; crimp to that -- unless you are loading for a Model 52 or other gun that won't chamber or feed them that way. (in that case, crimp over the top like a HBWC)

Unless it says otherwise, load data for wadcutters seems to always assume you are seating the bullet flush. If you are seating them longer, you may need to add .1 or .2 grains more powder.

The chamber pressures are higher than you would expect from the tiny powder charges because the bullet is seated so deep. Be careful.
Old March 2, 2009, 03:32 PM   #6
ilbob

seat it flush, with a slight crimp.

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.
Old March 2, 2009, 03:43 PM   #7
Smoke

Many thanks....now I see. My Lyman manual did not list this bullet, and I apologize for incorrectly saying a "HBSWC".....the bullet is a HBWC, and I will set it flush with the case. Thanks again....I am new to this, and have a lot to learn from you all, but wanted to ask, rather than "assume"!

Smoke
Old March 2, 2009, 05:11 PM   #8
mkl

Quote:
I am new to this, and have a lot to learn from you all, but wanted to ask, rather than "assume"!
That's what we are here for.

No such thing as a "dumb question" or a problem with the correct terminology.

We have all been there...

Good shooting

mkl