The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 28, 2005, 09:00 PM   #1
utaherrn

AR 15 front sight housing replacement

I have a Colt AR-15 H Bar 1/7 bbl with threaded muzzle, but no bayo lug on the front sight housing (FSH).

I want to change out the FSH without lug to one with the bayo lug if for no other reason than it's an irritating reminder of the AWB.

I have assembled AR lowers several times but have never messed around with this. Will I need a particular FSH other than the 0.75" ID type?

Is it easy to do, just drift out the pins, etc., or are there quirks I should know about?

Any help appreciated. I'm pretty handy but don't want to get in over my head/mess anything up.

Thanks.
Old June 29, 2005, 10:30 AM   #2
DnPRK

It's easy to get the old one off by driving out the pins, but installing a new one is tough because the pin holes will not be in the same place on the new FSH. If not done correctly you will have a canted FSH.

Instead of installing pins, drill and tap the pin holes and install 4 set screws. Take the rifle to the range and get the FSH centered by losening screws on one side and tightening on the other. Once centered, secure the FSH using green Locktite (the wicking kind) and let cure 24 hours.
Old June 29, 2005, 03:08 PM   #3
utaherrn

thanks much