The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 5, 2010, 11:37 AM   #1
HappySig

now I really need your help....lol

I have pulled some bullets apart because of mistakes that were made and I'm wondering if primed brass can be resized?

Many thanks guys
Old May 5, 2010, 11:39 AM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

You can resize primed brass.... but the resizer will generally have the primer punch.... You can remove the punch or just be gentle and reinsert/reuse the primer.

Wear safety glasses and hearing protection if you're going to de-prime a live primer.
Old May 5, 2010, 12:29 PM   #3
hammie

Just remove the decapping rod, the decapping pin, or adjust the rod high enough so that it doesn't touch the primer. I would not re-use any primer which I GENTLY removed. The anvil is pretty thin metal, and it will certainly deform under the pressure of the rod, possibly thinning the priming compound in the center of the primer. I would be worried about that creating a lack of sensitivity and misfires.
Old May 5, 2010, 01:46 PM   #4
William T. Watts

now I really need your help....lol

I agree with Hammie, I can't think of anything else I would add to what he has covered. Frankly I don't like the idea of depriming a live primer, remove your decapping pin or raise the spindle assembly to clear the primer is a safe way to solve your case resizing problem. William
Old May 5, 2010, 02:37 PM   #5
HappySig

thanks to everybody

many thanks to everybody who replied, but, my resizing die does not have the depriming/belling pin. that is in its own separate die, which, now I must ask the question, is there two different ways to use the resizing die?
Old May 5, 2010, 03:31 PM   #6
BigJimP

Not different ways to use it / there are different mfg's / and presses that are setup to do things in certain steps.

The dies and press I use are from Dillon ( a Dillon 650 ) / and station 1 in my press is resizing / and decapping the spent primer. I could - simply remove the decapping pin in the die. As you describe your dies - the decapping is in another station.

But in my press / if I chose to remove the decapping pin -- I would have to do that step manually / or I would have to put the pin back into the die in station 1 / and run the cases thru a 2nd time.

If I pull bullets because of a problem - I would not have to resize the brass again / because the cartridge wasn't fired. I would have to bell the case again / after I have a new powder drop in order to seat a new / or reuse the old bullet again. So I would insert the primed case into station 2 ( where a new primer would normally be inserted, where the case is then belled and the powder is dropped ) and continue to run the case thru stations 2 thru 5 and complete the cartridge.
Old May 5, 2010, 05:27 PM   #7
howlnmad

What brand dies ate you using? If they are Lee, you need to loosen the jamb nut on top and slide the decapping/sizing rod up, just enough to not touch the primer. If they are RCBS or Redding, you should be able remove the decapping pin and resize with no worries. Even if one does go off, the most you'll have to do is clean your die. Wear safety glasses no matter what.

howlnmad