The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 27, 2021, 09:57 PM   #1
AlongCameJones

Are Leupold GLOSS finish scopes gone for good?

I went to their site to discover that they offer not one single rifle scope in a gloss finish. I can't believe it! A matte scope just doesn't look right on a shiny blue traditional rifle. I had a shiny black Leuplold scope back in 90's on my shiny-blue wood-stocked Browning A-Bolt II.

If that's the case, I will just have set my iron sights (pun intended) on a nice vintage Savage 99 for the American deer woods and only hunt deer in the woods and forgo the notion of getting a nice vintage Husqvarna bolt-action rifle.

i just emailed Leupold corporate with the following message:

Pray tell me please, why are there no more Leupold rifle scopes in a gloss finish when there are still quite a few hunters in America who sport traditional blued rifles? I was on the market for a nice Swedish-made Husqvarna bolt-action rifle in a traditional blue finish. I don't fancy a matte scope, rings or bases on such gun. By the same token, I don't fancy any other name than Leupold mounted on any fine bolt-action hunting rifle. If this permanent demise of gloss-finish production scopes is the case, I will just have to seek out a nice vintage Savage Model 99 lever-action rifle for deer hunting woods of America and hunt only with iron sights. I don't fancy any scope on any lever gun as they don't look aesthetically pleasing on those American woods classics at all.

PS- Speaking of a Savage 99 and scopes, please check this young clown out on YouTube and see why American hunters are getting a bad name:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQSqzhvs39I

Note Plumcrazy Preston's remarks below.
Old May 28, 2021, 10:48 AM   #2
Logs

Few years ago at the NRA show I was talking with the guys from Leupold and they said the Gloss didn't sell so everything is now Matte finish.
Old May 28, 2021, 11:56 AM   #3
gaseousclay

I used to have a gloss leupold scope on my Browning A-Bolt years ago. Only bought it because it matched the gloss finish on the rifle. Don’t have the scope anymore but agree that gloss scopes look better on rifles with a gloss finish
Old May 28, 2021, 12:38 PM   #4
AlongCameJones

Reply from Leupold

Thanks for reaching out! We at Leupold and Stevens are always innovating and improving our products and technology. While we regularly release new and improved products, others are discontinued based on demand and our production capacity. At this time we do not have any plans to bring back gloss finished riflescopes. If you feel strongly about finding this product, I recommend checking at a variety of retailers. While we are no longer producing them, it can take some time for products to make it to retailers so you may find one on the market. If any of our other products might work for you, please call us at 1-800-LEUPOLD or 503-526-1418. Our technicians can talk to you about what is important to you and help you find a current product that would suit your needs.

Regards,
Zachary
Leupold Technical Service

I suppose one's only way to compliment a gloss-blue rifle is to find a premium-condition second-hand gloss Leupold. New-production traditional blue long guns even seem to becoming old hat too. Somebody may custom-finish scopes aftermarket but that's just more money and time piddled away.

It's either that for me, or finding a nice iron-sighted Savage 99.
Old May 30, 2021, 12:33 PM   #5
hammie

@Jones: Thanks for the alert. I have a browning low wall single shot with highly polished receiver and octagon barrel, a browning T bolt with high gloss metal and maple stock, and other polished blued rifles. Those rifles have gloss Leupolds. A matte scope would just not look right.

I checked Leupold's website and you are so correct. Even the rimfire scopes are matte. I had better hang onto what I have.