The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 13, 2010, 08:28 PM   #1
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

No Mo' SCOPE!!!!

well Junior found a buyer for the honkin' huge Bushnell scope and rings that was on my 336C Marlin. The guy who bought it also had a 336, I got the hole filler screws and mounted the scope on his...

Man this thing feels so good without a scope. More like a BB gun than a rifle now. So light to carry and so free to mount and swing.

I put 3 150 and 3 170 grain rounds in the tube. At 65 yards, I couldn't tell the 2 weights from one another, All were minute of deer with a a couple being well under 1 inch.
Man what a rifle now!!!
I refused to just pull the scope as it would require the ammo to sight in. This way it wasn't my choice but I am ready already!
Brent
Old January 13, 2010, 11:05 PM   #2
Big Bill

Good for you dogs... I hate a levergun with a scope on it. It just don't seem natural.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr
Old January 13, 2010, 11:45 PM   #3
reloader28

When I bought my Marlin it had a scope and the first thing that happened when I got it home was to take that stupid thing off.
I am with you guys 100% about lever guns and scopes.
It dont belong!
Old January 17, 2010, 12:59 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Later, on the first trip to the woods, I realized that not only the weight was an issue... I never felt a balance issue with a scope on any other rifle like the lever gun. It was so top heavy that it took noticeable effort to keep the rifle properly upright on the shoulder.

It is naturally straight and natural now!

Brent
Old January 17, 2010, 01:03 PM   #5
ZeroJunk

Luckily, you are still young enough to see.
Old January 17, 2010, 01:08 PM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
Luckily, you are still young enough to see.
If I can see it in my glasses, I can put the irons on as easy as crosshairs... I am one to call the .30-30 a 100 to 150 yard round so at that distance I can hit the "pump house". wouldn't try for a brainer at more than 25 though
Brent
Old January 17, 2010, 01:18 PM   #7
ZeroJunk

My problem is that my left eye is great, and I'm near sighted in my right eye. Works pretty well because I can read fine, but I shoot right handed. Would have been great if it had been the other way around. I have tried to wear glasses . But, when you hustle up the side of a mountain in twenty degree weather they fog over as fast as you can clean them off.
Old January 17, 2010, 01:21 PM   #8
DRice.72

Cowboy guns just don't look right with scopes. I include revolvers in that statement! I know a lot of ppl like 'em. Just not my cup of coffee. (I don't drink hot tea)
Old January 17, 2010, 02:37 PM   #9
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
But, when you hustle up the side of a mountain in twenty degree weather they fog over as fast as you can clean them off.
Yeah I find that too... lucky for me, our weather being quite humid, they clear real fast as soon as the fog cools off.

Quote:
Cowboy guns just don't look right with scopes.
Tell me 'bout it!!! Sinful!

Well, in his defense, junior bought this gun as his first "deer rifle" and insisted on optics. He bought the most expensive non-nikon at walmart for -$80 and cheap see thru rings for sub $20. I aquired the rifle in a trade for a slap wore out junk lorcin .380. The deal was he still owned the scope for when he bought a different rifle. He sold the scope and rings to a buddy of ours for $50 for what else??? To put on his Marlin 336...
Brent
Old January 17, 2010, 07:00 PM   #10
James R. Burke

To each his own. I had a few levers never scoped them . One came with a pretty good scope on it. I pulled it, and put it on a bolt I had at the time.
Old January 17, 2010, 07:04 PM   #11
DiscoRacing

I had a 336 given to me when my father had passed...it was his... he never hunted with a scope...I did put a scope on it when i got it... for hunting... my age/eyes could be slowin me down a bit... but... I would rather have a scope on the rifle and hit the deer that I aim for... than to injure and lose an animal to bad shot placement from not having the scope on it.. Just me an my 2cents.
Old January 17, 2010, 07:07 PM   #12
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Yes, James, there is a Santa cla..... err yes to each his own.... Glad I finally got good reason to try the irons... It was my own conservative nature that left it on so long! I cannot wait to connect with a brown fur sack of fresh meat.

Brent
Old January 17, 2010, 07:20 PM   #13
DRice.72

Hogdogs, junior has a great looking gun there! I can see where optics might be necessary. I will have to put them on all my guns one day. Don't mean I'll like it tho!
Old January 17, 2010, 07:26 PM   #14
ENC

My young eyes just don't work with iron sights anymore. However I am not a fan of a full size scope on a lever gun either so... about three years ago I put one of those cheap BSA red dots on it just to see how I like it and boy oh boy it is nice. I keep saying I will replace it with a nicer red dot, but if it aint broke don't fix it keeps me from tinkerin'.

Evan
Old January 17, 2010, 07:54 PM   #15
Doyle

Brent, you might have felt differently about a scoped 336 if it had come with a proper scope. I've got a Leupold VX-II 2-7 on my Rem Model 7 (same length and weight as a 336). Weighing only 10.5 oz, it balances nicely on the rifle. The same scope on your 336 and you probably would have kept it.
Old January 17, 2010, 08:01 PM   #16
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

doyle, I will concede that the scope on the rifle was way wrong in dimensions but the satisfaction I got from sending just 6 rounds down range with the irons and hitting a 4-5 inch group with irons offhand... I can just imagine how tickled silly i will feel when I am doing the bloody work on a dead deer killed with iron sighted lever action "saddle gun"... When i buy a bolt rifle, I will likely not even try it with out a scope... some rifles just SCREAM "Scope me Daddy!"
Brent
Old January 17, 2010, 08:08 PM   #17
Dr. Strangelove

I took a scope off a Ruger Model 77 in .308 this year after I realized all my shots deer hunting were less than 100yds. It made it much lighter and far easier to handle in the woods/brush.

I also like the "back to the roots" aspect of it, it wasn't all that long ago that scopes were a rarity, especially where I live.

Sometimes I think we depend too much on equipment and not our own skills. (By the way, that's not directed toward anyone in this thread, just a general statement.)
Old January 17, 2010, 08:58 PM   #18
Hog Buster

I had a Winchester Model 94 years ago and put peep sights on it. That was the quickest pointing and best shooting lever action I ever owned. I never liked scopes on lever actions. I always felt it hampered their quick pointing ability...... Now that I think about it I killed a number of deer and hogs with that rifle. Sorry that I got rid of it.....HB
Old January 17, 2010, 10:42 PM   #19
Daryl

I hate a levergun with a 'scope for my own uses too.

That's probably why I mostly use bolt action rifles, but the one lever I have has open sights.

Daryl
Old January 18, 2010, 12:33 PM   #20
GeauxTide

A thought on sights

I joined the marlinowners site after I got an 1894 and I found the most interesting sights advertised. I bought one and was so impressed that I bought one for my 39 Mountie. Skinner Sights, at skinnersights.com, are half the cost of XS and Williams I was looking at. Take a look.
Old January 18, 2010, 01:21 PM   #21
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Did you get the tang mounted flip ups skinners or the barrel mounted? Peeps or buck horns?
Brent
Old January 18, 2010, 01:25 PM   #22
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

OOPS, Lyman makes the tang mounted flip up sight.
Brent
Old January 18, 2010, 07:04 PM   #23
Hog Buster

Mine was mounted on the left side of the receiver . Williams I think, but it might have been a Lyman. It's been so long ago I don't remember for sure.

Last edited by Hog Buster; January 18, 2010 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old January 19, 2010, 12:32 PM   #24
Lawyer Daggit

Great to hear your discovery. Guys today seem to have reached the view that they cannot hit a darned thing without a scope- yet our forebears did perfectly well without them.

On a big game rifle I think one if fine without a scope out to about 200 yards or so. Being just on the plus side of 50 when shooting rabbits my eyes tend to demand a scope over 50 yards or so.

The balance of some guns, particularly lever actions and single shots has to be experienced to be believed without a scope.

I recently bought a secondhand MLR (Miroku badged BLR) and am likely to fit it with a peep sight.
Old January 19, 2010, 12:39 PM   #25
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

When I put the 6 rounds on paper, I used the same corn sack that the guy used when we put the scope on his 336... My 6 included several closer to center than his and none of mine were wider than his widest.
Brent