The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 23, 2007, 03:21 PM   #26
EJJR

It depends on how hungry you are.

Very good answer to a very subjective question Arub.

Then again, I'm much more likely to shoot a dog if I was that hungry.

Want to learn how to shoot well? http://appleseedinfo.org/
Old December 23, 2007, 03:48 PM   #27
Bigfatts

Quote:
the problem with squirrels is the meat-to-butchering/skinning-work ratio is rather low, since they're not real easy to butcher, esp.
squirrels are fairly easy to butcher out. Take a look here:

http://www.gutpilestyle.com/ForumSMF...p?topic=1968.0

if you're not a member over there, you should be.
Old December 24, 2007, 12:36 AM   #28
hank327

Squirrel and dumplings...yummmm!

Fried squirrel can give your jaws a real workout if you get an old one.
Old December 24, 2007, 01:05 AM   #29
Sgt.Fathead

Old Bill!

WOW! That recipe has my taste buds doing the mambo! That's something to try in the new year. Thanks!
Old December 24, 2007, 08:45 AM   #30
remjeep75

usually i will clean them and then cook them, the best way i have found by simply microwaving them for 10 minutes on high with a little butter.
Just kidding. Imo the best way to eat them is in brunswick stew
Old December 24, 2007, 09:06 AM   #31
banditt007

check out a guy called mr. squaks or something like that, his method works great for skinning them, then just gut out like a fish basically. may i suggest a few things.

when skinning, first get the whole thing soaking wet then skin, it helps keep the hair off the meat which it sticks to very easily, having a bucket of water available..or a stream/lake...really helps.

2) just use the legs and back strap near the spine... i cut it out like you would a deer the backstrap on top of its back. then cut off the legs and chuck the rest. there isnt anything on the inside near the spine. the 'rib meat' (not that there is any really) is pretty nasty its very elastic like ect, so i just chuck that away.

plus when people see it cooked if its just legs and back strap its much easier to 'deal with' than seeing what looks like a rat floating in some gravey =)

easy and simple recipe. coat in flour, put in one of those oven bags they have... dump in a 1/2 cup of h20 and your fav BBQ sauce. cook on low for an hour and a 1/2. tastes really good.

the meat is kind of like a pork-ish type meat.
Old December 24, 2007, 09:07 AM   #32
banditt007

btw i love that all you other guys eat these things! i feel like the outcast around here when i mention it.
Old December 25, 2007, 08:54 AM   #33
CamoCop

yup
Old December 25, 2007, 03:06 PM   #34
oldbillthundercheif

That's just the basic recipe, feel free to add whatever herbs and spices suit your taste. It can also be done at higher heat for less time or lower heat for more time, I do it a little different every time I cook up some squirrel.

If you cook the potatos for the full time, they can fall apart a little. If you like your spuds to maintain an oval shape, you can wait until the last few hours to put them in.
Old December 25, 2007, 03:47 PM   #35
skeeter1

Quote:
I like the legs fried up like chicken wings. Fantastic.
That's my favorite way, too. Discard the middle part with all of the rib bones -- they just get in the way. Also good anywhere you'd use chicken parts, like in a slow cooker for gumbo, etc. Don't let anyone discourage you from using a pellet gun. With the right pellets (.22, heavy, and pointed), it will take out a squirrel as well as anything out to ~30yds.
Old December 25, 2007, 06:20 PM   #36
max12

[QUOTE]make sure you have enough gun. In my experience a .22 isn't enough unless you shoot them in the head. I have some wild stories about wounded one's. THey go farther than you expext.

I would have to say a 12 gauge 3 1/2 in slug is pushing it.
Old December 25, 2007, 07:28 PM   #37
SavageSniper

Wow, I don't know what the squirrels are eating where you are at, but if a .22 has problems knocking them down I want a wack at them.
Old December 26, 2007, 03:51 AM   #38
teeroux

Quote:
make sure you have enough gun. In my experience a .22 isn't enough unless you shoot them in the head. I have some wild stories about wounded one's. THey go farther than you expext.
Mabe ill start a thread on what caliber is best for killin squirrels but then again i dont want to stir up the 40 S&W fans.

seriously i like to use high velocity #6 in my 12 gauge with full choke
Old December 26, 2007, 05:09 AM   #39
38splfan

Low velocity .38 wadcutters do a durn fine job on those little suckers.

I love stew, I like pan fired, but I also like them broiled stuffed with blackberries and wrapped in bacon. MMMMMMMMmmmmmmm...tasty.
Old December 26, 2007, 08:03 AM   #40
ZeroJunk

If you use a .22 use subsonic or short hollow points. Full speed hollow points tear them up and regular bullets may not kill them before they go in a hollow.
Old December 26, 2007, 08:59 AM   #41
ShootingNut

New Way To Cook

Saw some Asian folk, had one over an open fire, stick shoved up it's rear end, burnin' the hair off while it cooked!
Old December 26, 2007, 12:45 PM   #42
Wild Bill Bucks

Stumbled onto this Idea a couple years ago, but it is the best way I have found to keep them VERY tender. Fix them in Shake n Bake just like the recipe for doing chicken. The meat stays very moist and tender, and doesn't seem to matter how old the fuzzy tails are.
Old December 26, 2007, 10:31 PM   #43
Bigfatts

You know, all this talk about squirrel got me hungry so I gathered up the family and went and got some yesterday morning. Got 8 of them, now I'm on the hunt for a good recipe. Time to try something new...
Old December 26, 2007, 10:39 PM   #44
T. O'Heir

City slicker tree rats I wouldn't touch. You have no idea what they've been eating. They don't just eat nuts and such. You'll likely find shooting them in town is illegal too.
Old December 27, 2007, 12:47 AM   #45
Wuchak

You also need to figure out where they are getting into the house and seal up the entrance. If you do this during the day there's a good chance they will all be outside and your problem is solved. If you do trap one inside I would use a Havahart trap to capture it and then release it outside. No risk of dead, rotten, unbelievable stench, in the house. The $30 for the trap is a much better deal than paying someone to cut into and then repair your walls. If you don't want to buy one some hardware stores rent them. If you have a local animal rescue organization, the type that takes in injured birds, rabbits, etc. they might rent or loan one too.

http://www.havahart.com/nuisance/cag...quickguide.asp
Old December 28, 2007, 01:36 AM   #46
YukonKid

i agree with Arub. if your hungry you will eat anything, its human nature. if your not and the choice is a tree rat or steak i will be needing some A-1
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!
Old January 5, 2008, 12:00 AM   #47
mosinfanatic

no squirells

we dont have squirells in NZ but from what you guys are saying im just gunna have to try it.
Old January 6, 2008, 12:09 AM   #48
mesabi

The squirrels here in MN can take any house cat in a fight anyday... and Iv'e seen some big/mean house cats. We shoot them off our feeders cuz that stuff's for the birds. BB's do not work so well unless you can put it through the brain and we don't get headshots on running/jumping squirrels too often. One squirrel we pulled three pellets and 6 bb's out of muscle and the guts. We soaked ours overnight in salt water then boiled it. Then put it in soup of chicken broth, carrots, celery, and egg noodles.
Old January 7, 2008, 03:40 PM   #49
theotherguy

Squirrels are tasty especially if you cook 'em in a slow cooking crock pot. That's the way my wife does it. Yum yum.
Old January 14, 2008, 11:05 PM   #50
Jason_G

Squirrels taste great. Every bit as good as a rabbit IMO, just less meat. I like them battered and fried, or in stew, or just about any other way you can cook them. You just have to take some measures to keep them from getting dry while cooking or they'll get tough and stringy. My mom makes squirrel and dumplings sometimes, that's one of my favorite ways to eat them. Oldbill's way sounds pretty good, too. It's actually very similar to the way I do beef rump roast, I'll have to try it on some squirrels.

Jason