The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 9, 2006, 10:06 PM   #1
MISFIRE

RL550B Casefeeder

Any feedback on the Dillon 550 casefeeder? I've hand stuffed many thousands of cases in 25 years with zero problems, but have been thinking of a Christmas present for myself. From the Dillon photos, the thing looks kind of spindly.
Old December 15, 2006, 10:33 PM   #2
bootsnthejeep

If its anything like the 650 case feeder (which I do have experience with) spindly is one things its NOT.

The big complaint I have with the casefeeder is the obvious one. I just started playing around wiht my SDB, and it was a learning curve going back to manually loading empties, but I like it. Mainly because [I]when something goes wrong[I] you just don't put another shell in until you've cleared the problem.

With the casefeeder, you can shut the feed off at the top, but then you still have this plastic magazine with a stack of 10 or 14 already fed empties that are just dying to get into that press, and you have to clear them all in order to fully cycle the press without getting more ammo involved in the fun.

But as rarely as things go wrong with a properly adjusted and maintained dillon, the convenience is incredible. Between that monstrous casefeeder and primer and powder alarms, you just sit there and feed it bullets.

If someone would just make a bullet feeder to replace my left hand, and then a stepper motor with a cam and armature to replace the movement of the press, then I could just sit there and drink beer and watch it crank out ammo!

Dillon! Get on that!
Old December 16, 2006, 10:47 PM   #3
clayking

For reloading, best $240 I've spent, though mine is also on the 650. Takes you from running out of brass because you forgot to look and therefore screwing something up, keeps you loading rather stopping to put in more brass. As the previous post said, when you have to clear it out, you have to clear the tube, but then you would have to clear the tube with or without the case feeder, except with the case feeder it will always be full. You simply pull the tube out, and lift up, covering the bottom with your finger to prevent the brass from falling out, reinsert when done.

Be careful to not get an off caliber mixed in the load as that will throw you off for sure, admittedly, I've done it a time or two. Buy one, you will not regret it.........................ck
Old December 19, 2006, 03:58 PM   #4
MISFIRE

Thanks guys. The one on the 650 looks just like the retrofit one on the 550. No reliability problems yet?