The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 23, 2023, 08:39 PM   #1
akinswi

Chronograph Recommendations

I have been reloading for almost 15 years. In all this time I have never owned a chronograph.

When ever I did a load development, always let the target tell me what was going on.

I was wondering what chrongraphs every one uses or if one is necessary.

Thanks
Old May 23, 2023, 09:08 PM   #2
nhyrum

One isn't "necessary" but it helps immensely. I have a competition electronics prochrono digital, and really like it. Only reason I'd ever change chronos is to get a labradar. They are able to track the bullet out and get a true bc

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
Old May 23, 2023, 09:26 PM   #3
Carriertxv

Depends on where and what you shoot and how much you want to spend. Most of my shooting was with handguns indoor so didn’t leave much of a choice and went with LabRadar.
I have used a few other chronographs of friends and am glad that I did go with LabRadar.
Old May 24, 2023, 04:15 AM   #4
Doc Hoy

I have two low end chronographs

QKVCX which I bought through Amazon. This is a <$100 chrony which seems to be accurate and forgiving. Does not work as reliably with pellet rifle size projectiles.

Also have a CED chrony (Prolly similar to Hyrums) which runs about $300.00 now (I think). Also quite reliable with several data features that are nice. Has sun shields but I am not certain they are needed. Nice feature of this unit is that the control head with read-out is at the shooting bench even though the traps may be down range a bit.

I had two Shooting Chronys which I also liked. I shot one of them which shortened the life (to zero). These are simple units. Economical.

All of these units satisfied me but I am NOT a precision shooter. My need for MV is as much curiosity as anything else. Of the three I like the CED best, but at three times the price, that should not be a surprise.

I think I just (about two minutes ago) made a resolution to deliberately make myself more familiar with the comparison of the two units I have. Again, mostly for curiosity sake.

I heartily agree with others when they say, the decision rests in functionality. The cheapest unit out there would satisfy me, but I am a notorious tightwad.
Old May 24, 2023, 04:09 PM   #5
MarkCO

I do believe it is essential for some loads/calibers/guns. But not for all. That said, I don't, and won't reload without one.

I have owned about a dozen over the years. The two I have still are the cheap Caldwell and the MagnetoSpeed. I still use both, but the MagnetoSpeed is the best for rifles, and what I use most.

Yes, I had a Labradar, after the last fix, sold it. Too fragile, too many faults as compared to the MS. I have friends who love theirs though.
Old May 24, 2023, 08:42 PM   #6
berettaprofessor

I had a Chrony, which was ok and did the job and I only shot one of the "poles" once. But I got the cheap Magnetospeed and love it and use it on all rifle rounds now.
Old May 24, 2023, 09:15 PM   #7
GeauxTide

Oehler

I bought a 33 Chronotach in the 70s and I gave it to a reloading friend last year. Currently have a Model 35p with printer. Oehler invented the technology, so buy the best. Heard a lot about Labradar - my friend had one and it stayed broken because he shoots long range with his 338 Lapua. He loves the 33 I gave him.
Old May 24, 2023, 11:09 PM   #8
cdoc42

My MagnetoSpeed creeps with successive shots. If yours does as well, what do you do to stop it?
Old May 25, 2023, 09:29 AM   #9
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoc42 View Post
My MagnetoSpeed creeps with successive shots. If yours does as well, what do you do to stop it?
Do you mean the actual physical bayonet? I have a few small pieces of rubber I put between the barrel and the strap. I prefer to connect it with a pic rail, but not possible on most bolt guns unless you buy an aftermarket attachment.
Old May 25, 2023, 08:55 PM   #10
The Happy kaboomer

I've owned and used an OEHLER 35P for over 30 years......I don't want anything else.
Old May 25, 2023, 09:31 PM   #11
Nathan

Rifle, pistol, AR or some mixture?

Also, how quick do you need to setup?

Budget?

Is your range crowded?

How long are you willing to spend with setup?

I’m currently very happy with Labradar.
Old May 26, 2023, 01:54 PM   #12
old roper

I have V3 MagnetoSpeed. I got letter from Ken Oehler dated Aug 1, 1988 about his new 35P and he shipped first week Aug to select user. I got on first production run and was shipped last week Aug 1988. I paid $345. I've send mine back 2 times.
NRA Life Member
Old May 26, 2023, 05:33 PM   #13
RC20

My Chrono just quit working between range sessions (Chrony as I recall)

I had enough, ticked me off, pain to setup and holding up other shooters, so I sold a gun and bought a Labradar.

I am no uber bench rest but I do like to see what is going on and often see an explanation of an odd shot in velocity.

It also helps me see when powder has changed (probably due to humidity) and or a new batch and I can adjust back to a known velocity mid.

Yes the Labradar costs pretty steep, I should have bought then they were lower, but we are talking $30 maybe out of $500. Annoying the carry pouch does not come with it.

I also just went with a rechargeable battery power (I hate replacing batteries) and no regrets.

Tickled its the one piece of equipment I have that my brother does not, he usually leads the way and I have never been sorry I followed what he has bought.

That said he occasionally asked to get a velocity check for a load, more confirming its where the books says it should be but he appreciates it and the accuracy in fpm is spot on.

I build my own base for it, otherwise a base is needed. Mine is just a flat steel plate I put feet on and a center screw that has a thread gap so it works just like a standard tri pod type stand.