The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 2, 2014, 10:52 AM   #1
swamp dog

Win Model 70 loading / ejection port lengths

Please if anyone sees this and can help, I need loading / ejection port lengths for win model 70 in: a) wssm, b) short action and standard action, c) magnum length action and d) for the pre 64 magnum action which was only in 300 H&H and 375 H&H

I put this on another popular gun forum and narri a response ...
Old August 3, 2014, 06:45 AM   #2
jmr40

Using a ruler, not precision equipment, my short actions are 2 7/8". Long actions, 3 1/8". Can't help with the others
Old August 3, 2014, 07:46 AM   #3
swamp dog

ruler accuracy is good enough... so what are cartridges are those rifles chambered for
Old August 3, 2014, 07:48 AM   #4
jmr40

The short actions are 308 and 300 WSM, long action 30-06.
Old August 3, 2014, 08:16 AM   #5
swamp dog

the reason I ask is a guy I know has a win model 70 in 375 H&H with a 3.1 inch ejection port... I told him it was rebarrel to 375 since the OAL of that cartridge is 3.600 inches... He say no its an original factory 375 as well as his friends who are model 70 collectors... I think I am right and him and his friends are mistaken...

Perhaps someone here can measure the port length on a mod 70 in 375 H&H
Old August 3, 2014, 08:55 AM   #6
jmr40

There is a guy who is a moderator over at www.thehighroad.org who goes by H&H,hunter. Another moderator named Robert over there. Both are big 375 mag fans who could probably help you. There is member here who also goes by H&H, hunter, probably the same guy, but he hasn't posted here since 2006.

You could either join the Highroad and PM either of those guys, or click on "community" above and look up H&H,hunter here. He has an e-mail contact listed.

Just to add. I have no idea about the 375, but it wouldn't be unusual for the loading/ejection port to be shorter than the OAL of a loaded cartridge. I see that on a lot of rifles. You have to load them by placing the cartridge in at an angle. There is plenty of room for the empty brass to eject. Even loaded cartridges come out at an angle and will clear.
Old August 3, 2014, 09:13 AM   #7
JT-AR-MG42

I'll be home later tonight and will post the length (on both the standard length and the long action)
if someone has not already done so.

JT
Old August 3, 2014, 10:04 AM   #8
swamp dog

JMR...too short by 1/2 inch... I doubt it... check out the link below look at the aft ring on the 375 compared to the non magnum aft ring

http://www.realguns.com/articles/550.htm

JT... I will check back for your post
Old August 3, 2014, 10:15 PM   #9
JT-AR-MG42

Your bet sounds like it will be close to a draw unless you can see the .375 in question.

I only have pre-64 rifles, so don't have a clue as to what newer controlled feed actions look like
in any caliber and can only help with b, c, and d.

Standard length actions on a .22 Hornet, 220 Swift, .257 Roberts, and a .264 Winchester Magnum all measure between 3.12 to 3.13" along the right receiver rail.
The opening on these rifles are square between both the front ring and rear bridge.

The magnum length .300 or .375 measure 3.23" right along the right rail.
However, the cut on the front ring is an angled radius that goes forward off of the receiver rail.
In addition, there is a generous radius cut out at the top of the ring to facilitate loading as well.

The rear bridge is a square cut that has a radius corner leading up to the cut out for loading on top of the rear bridge. (It looks similar to a stripper clip cut.)

Measuring from that rear cut (where the ejector contacts the cartridge) to the rear of the front ring measures roughly 3.7".

That (in combination with the radius on the corner of the bridge) easily allows my 3.57" loaded rounds to eject.
Loaded rounds or empties are not dinged up at all, nor is there any trick required to load them.

There is really no mistaking the two actions, at least in the pre-64 configuration.
If the action cut out has squared vertical cuts for the loading port, it is not an original .375.

Hope this helps, JT
Old August 4, 2014, 01:17 PM   #10
swamp dog

JT, thanks for the info... no tie to it... the loading port on the 375 is 3.7 inches long from what you said...
Old August 5, 2014, 04:34 PM   #11
jmr40

He said 3.23 on the ejection port, the extra .5 is to the bolt face. Which is why a cartridge longer than the opening will work
Old August 5, 2014, 04:50 PM   #12
Bart B.

I had a pre-'64 in .300 H&H rechambered to .300 Weatherby Magnum. It's cartridge heads were way back under the bridge and the bridge had a half moon cutout on its front edge as I remember. Those cartridges barely fit in but they ejected loaded and empty just fine. The action length was the same as my .270 chambered one of the same vintage, as I remember.
Old August 6, 2014, 09:12 AM   #13
swamp dog

guess I am not following this well... just the length of the loading port is what I am asking... perhaps I will find some model 70s and a ruler when I get to a gun shop
Old August 6, 2014, 12:19 PM   #14
Bart B.

The loading port on bolt actions is usually meant the distance from the front of the receiver bridge to the back of the receiver ring. And that's often less than cartridge over all lengths used in them.

One exception is bolt action rifles with clip guides in their receiver bridge. Mauser 98's, Springfield M1903's, Winchester 50 and 70 match rifles have a retangluar cutout in the front of the bridge to let a 5-round clip slide in with the cartridge case heads in line with the back of the box magazine. The distance from the back of the clip guide to the back of the receiver ring is more than that specified in the paragraph above. On some rifles, such as Remington's 40X target rifles chambered for the .308 Win, there's a notch cut in the receiver ring at the top of its back so cartridges at SAAMI length specs can go down into the box magazine whose front wall is further forward than the receiver ring's back edge.

Yes, this can get complicated because it is.
Old August 6, 2014, 04:40 PM   #15
swamp dog

http://www.americanrifleman.org/home...tion_large.jpg

how complicated can it be the length of the opening... inside measurement between the front and rear receiver rings
Old August 9, 2014, 10:28 AM   #16
JT-AR-MG42

Here are a few pictures to help clarify dimensions given earlier.
While the opening at the receiver rail is of similar length with both actions, not much else is.

Pre-64 model 70 rifles. Standard rifle is a .264, the magnum is a .300.
Just not willing to pull the scope on the .375 (already sighted in) this close to elk season, components to re-sight are to dear to come by nowadays!

First is photo of the standard action.

One of the cartridge at the point of being ejected - O.A.L. of 3.24", longer than the 3.12" ejection port -. Again, the rear of the case is under the bridge. Lots of space for proper ejection.

Next is the magnum. Two views of the action.
Radius front ring up toward the bullet cut out (not really necessary, especially with scope use) on top.
This radius extending from the receiver rail to the top of the ring is what gives proper tolerances for ejecting loaded rounds.

Angled corner on the bridge with a radius to the rear of the loading port.
This extra length of the loading port is why the magnums used a different and longer one piece scope base.

Cartridge - 3.57" - loaded into the magazine.

Last is the loaded round at the point of being ejected.
Again, lots of room for flawless operation.

If your acquaintance's rifle does not look like the latter photos, it is not an original .375 and furthermore, the rifle would not function properly on a standard action in that caliber.

Hope this helps to clarify the question.

JT