The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 27, 2014, 07:15 PM   #51
leadcounsel

Yep, MA laws are among the worst in the nation, and most people don't even know it there.

The guns you are looking at will be fine.

I've found that at ranges most gun owners are quite friendly and if you offer the ammo, they'll let you shoot/try their gun.

Welcome to the world of the 2nd Amendment!
Old March 29, 2014, 10:14 AM   #52
pedro45

Folks, this has been a wonderful resource, I'm putting some of the suggestions right into action at MFS, etc.
But I need to go the well once more"
Which is a great shotgun for home protection?? Without paying a 1000 bucks.. and what kind of shells for same purpose? My brother says have the first one be birdshot and the next ones mean business, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, thanks
Old March 31, 2014, 02:39 AM   #53
leadcounsel

Quote:
Which is a great shotgun for home protection?? Without paying a 1000 bucks.. and what kind of shells for same purpose? My brother says have the first one be birdshot and the next ones mean business, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, thanks
As for which shotgun, there are a million threads on this.

In summary, drop about $400 +/- on a Remington 870 Express or Mossberg 500/590. Use 00 or 04 buckshot. Forget the birdshot, which is what 99/100 people will tell you.

Now that you have the hardware, you need to develop the software (eg. training).
Old March 31, 2014, 10:10 AM   #54
pedro45

Thanks, I'm on it, joined two local gun clubs, getting some private lessons, and will even be driving out to places like MFS to take the Utah LTC license class and rent as many handguns as possible.
Old March 31, 2014, 05:04 PM   #55
Colt46

What works for me

I've got the Ruger SP-101 in .38
It is a heavy, stainless steel, snub nose that is really easy to shoot well. That extra heft(26 oz empty)is twice the weight of many ultralite snubs. It makes a huge difference.
Modern .38 ammo is quite effective as a defensive load.
I just took my 75 year old aunt out to the range and she was able to shoot it quite well at 5-10 yards.

Tags
concealed , less kick