The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 2, 2010, 08:31 PM   #1
chris in va

Case tension issues

I've loaded thousands of 9mm using range pickup brass. Using my Lee dies, most of my .358 sized boolits will seat fine, but some cases are apparently made of tissue paper and seat a LOT deeper with nearly zero resistance felt in the press.

It's really not that bad of an issue as I have to load for two different OAL's (one at 1.01, the other 1.09) but it's still irritating.

Suggestions?
Old June 2, 2010, 08:42 PM   #2
WESHOOT2

wrong sizer

For much-used 'range brass' I use and most highly recommend the LEE Carbide 'U' undersized sizing die.
You gotta call.
Old June 2, 2010, 10:13 PM   #3
Sevens

It's been my experience that most "loose" pistol brass is clearly marked R-P on the headstamp. It's thin in the case mouth and doesn't give the same tension that most all of the others do.

I'm not saying it's bad brass, I'm not saying it's cheap brass and I'm not saying that it doesn't last as long -- but I am definitely saying that it's thinner in the case mouth than many/most all others.
Old June 2, 2010, 11:02 PM   #4
Cat Hunter

+1 with Sevens
Old June 2, 2010, 11:46 PM   #5
vladan

ditto on R-P brass. I noticed it in most (pistol) calibers I reload
Old June 3, 2010, 05:35 AM   #6
sourdough44

Most 'new' brass goes through the sizer 1st to get good tension. I have had some like you say that can be loose even after sizing. If it will at least hold for a bit I then give it a touch with the Lee FCD, the amount depends on the cartridge.
Old June 3, 2010, 07:13 AM   #7
chris in va

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out next time.
Old June 3, 2010, 07:38 AM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

Thin mouths are so bad on R-P .45 ACP that I simply ceased picking it up at the range about 20 years ago. I'd not noticed a problem with it in .357 Magnum or .44 Magnum, but don't use them as often. The .45 ACP issue was that after one or two reloadings, it would work harden to the point it would spring back coming out of the sizing die enough that bullets would fall into the case mouths. You can check for that after sizing and before you prime, but when I got my Dillon progressive that ceased to be practical. I didn't want to prime cases that wouldn't hold a bullet, so I started ignoring it and pitched any I had lying around.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 3, 2010, 10:22 AM   #9
WESHOOT2

mass quantities

I have untold thousands of R-P 9x19 brass, both regular and +P+, waiting to be sorted.
I did all my 45 Colt load development in R-P cases.
I loaded my premium premier 45 ACP defense and "specialty" ammo in nickel R-P cases.

I noticed yesterday I still have a 'fair' quantity of new R-P cases in numerous chamberings sitting on my shelves (but I think I have more Winchester; I have alotta new brass.... IMI, Starline, Speer, but no new Federal or Hornady).