The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 1, 2010, 04:19 PM   #1
Mike-Mat

Intervals for changing Tumbler Media

Hi Guys

New here to this forum.

I did a search on the forum and didn't find anything on this topic.

How often do you change the media in your tumbler?

How do you know when it needs to be changed?

I'm using walnut and rice with a red polishing compound (stone polishing rouge).

Thanks,
Old June 1, 2010, 04:45 PM   #2
m&p45acp10+1

I usualy change the media in my tumbler when clean looking brass leaves my hands black when loading. I still have 18 pounds of the 25 pound bag of wallnut media that I bought over a year ago. I use dryer sheets, and I dab some Nufinish car polish on a cleaning patch, then drop it in the tumbler. I clean bucket brass. Usualy around 20 or so pounds a week.
Old June 1, 2010, 04:49 PM   #3
TATER

I mixed up some Walnut and Rouge about 8 years ago, and from time to time a splash of mineral spirits.. I let you know when I change it..
Old June 1, 2010, 05:01 PM   #4
wncchester

"How do you know when it needs to be changed?"

I've been doing this since viberator. tumblers first came on the market; maybe 30-35 years? (Still have the same Lyman 1200 tumbler but it's on it's forth motor now, I've gotten the replacements from old bath and kitchen vent exhaust fans.) But, I don't have enough experience to know the answers to your questions.

I've changed media a few times but never because it was "worn out", only because I wanted to try a different media (cob or nut, coarse or fine grit) or different polish additives. What I can say for sure, is that both nut and cob work just fine and any media will last a LOT longer than many people seem to think. And fine grit is best 'cause it doesn't clog flash holes.

High gloss plastic looking glittery cases don't appeal to me, went through that stage long ago so I dont use any kind of polish anymore. I do use a little diatomaceous earth (its the same cleaning stuff used in tooth paste) because it makes old brass look clean and fresh like new factory stuff. I do like that.

Seems most people add far more polish than they should. (Dry polish dust is probably what most folks fear is "deadly" lead primer dust!) Excess polish dust can be removed from the media with 2" squares of used clothes dryer sheets tossed in for a tumbling sesson. The fine dust gets trapped in the loose weave material and can be tossed out. Dried polish clogging the surface of old media can be "rejuvinated" by adding a couple of ounces of mineral spirits/oderless paint thinner before a session.

Maybe someday I'll wear out some media, but I haven't done so yet.
Old June 1, 2010, 05:46 PM   #5
Mike-Mat

That's what I thought. Figured it would last a long time. But I was getting lots of dust, so I was concerned. I'll throw in a used anti-static pad to clean that up. Probably pour out the media and wipe out some of the dust as well.

I dont remember where I read it, but the rice was a good addition to the walnut. Not the pre-cooked minute rice, but real hard grain rice. I could see an improvement in the cleaning quality.

I still have some walnut. Maybe I'll try the Walnut with rice and Nu-Finish in a "clean start" batch, to see how that works.

The Diametrious Earth (DE) is an interesting twist. They use that in pool filters. Didn't know it was also in toothpaste.

How come no one uses sand? Seems like that would be a good cleaner.

At leas a handful in with the walnuts. Possibly to hard and possibly too abrasive on the equipment.

Thanks for your input,
Old June 1, 2010, 06:44 PM   #6
hodaka

Don't forget about the lead. The media undoubtedly picks up lead residue from the cases (at least if you load exposed lead bullets). I change out mine every year or so just to lower the lead content. Lead contaminated dust is not good.
Old June 1, 2010, 08:53 PM   #7
mrawesome22

Quote:
I did a search on the forum and didn't find anything on this topic.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/sear...archid=4448464
Old June 1, 2010, 09:27 PM   #8
Irish80prf

There are different grades of DE, the stuff in pool filters is not food grade. I don't think I would use it just because of the dust that comes off of it could have chemicals. The food grade stuff is a great idea that I'm going to try. It will also kill insects if spread around your house. It cuts there exoskeleton and dehydrates them. It will also kill worms in dogs and humans if a tablespoon of the food grade is taken daily mixed in water.

mrawesome did you try to click your link because it didn't come up with anything for me.
Old June 2, 2010, 11:20 AM   #9
Mike-Mat

mrawsome22: Really curious to see what that link was supposed to be.

The threads I found talked about what media to use (walnut,corn cob), rather than how long it lasts or how often to change it.
Old June 2, 2010, 11:29 AM   #10
wncchester

"...sand? Seems like that would be a good cleaner. Possibly to hard and possibly too abrasive on the equipment."

You are correct, on BOTH points. Use NO sand.
Old June 3, 2010, 03:44 PM   #11
amamnn

walnut media and a couple dashes of scouring powder--the scouring powder has to be refreshed once in a while but the walnut lasts and lasts and lasts and....................
Old June 3, 2010, 03:52 PM   #12
Mike-Mat

"...scouring powder..."

You mean like Comet or Ajax ?
Old June 3, 2010, 04:14 PM   #13
wncchester

IF you gonna use a scouring powder use Bon-Ami, it's much softer than the others which include some real abrasives. Abrasive dust isn't good when fired down a bore.
Old June 3, 2010, 09:09 PM   #14
jjohnson

It Depends.

Oh, come on, you knew that.

I change mine when it starts to take longer and longer to get my brass clean.

I use corncob media I get from WW Grainger for about $25 for 40 pounds. A squirt or two of Nu-Finish (like.... two teaspoons) in a big vibratory cleaner works a long time... and if the brass is really dirty, I throw in a teaspoon of jeweler's rouge (red powder, same as in red buffing compound).

I can refresh the media a couple times with another shot of Nu-Finish, and get some of the dust out with a recycled drier sheet, but there's a point of diminishing returns. The media gets visibly dirty sooner or later, and as one poster mentioned, when your hands get black from handling it.... time to change it.

I've seen a post from a guy who actually washes/rinses his media. I'm a tightwad, but even I have my limits. Bulk media and some Nu-Finish is way cheaper than the stuff you'd buy at Cabela's or Gander Mountain, and the recycled drier sheets are "free." But when I run my brass overnight in old media and it's still not clean, the dirty media goes into a barrel I keep for spreading in my driveway when it gets iced over. Not quite as good as sand for that purpose, but my wife can't carry 5-gallon buckets of sand like she used to.