The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 30, 2010, 09:51 PM   #1
fpchief

RCBS Power Trimmer not cutting square

My power trimmer (which i love), is not cutting my .308 square. Anyone had this trouble? It is roughly .005 off between opposing sides. Or is it to be expected and should i just shut up and keep trimming???
Old May 31, 2010, 06:35 AM   #2
cryogenic419

I had a similiar issue with .223 with my non-powered trimmer. Best fix I could come up with was to spin the brass around in the clamp once or twice and trim. This gave me more evenness on the trims.

So I gotta ask, is that power unit really a huge timesaver? Been considering getting one.
Old May 31, 2010, 06:39 AM   #3
crimsondave

I've got the RCBS power trimmer, and, IMO, it's not worth the money. It saves a little time over using a power drill, but not much.
Old May 31, 2010, 08:30 AM   #4
fpchief

It is absolutely worth the money. Having my doubts with it not cutting square on the bigger rounds, but it has to be something small. it will do a 5.56 round about one every 5-7 seconds. That is trimming-deburr-chamfer all in one step. everyone will have their opinion on it though. I like it, and the wife will sit there and use it while i am swaging or doing something else. We have done 1500 rds in one short sitting before. For me that is alot of ammo. Best thing about it is you set it and of course check one every once in a while, but the first and last are the same length.
Old May 31, 2010, 08:32 AM   #5
reloader28

I also spin the brass.
My brother has the power unit, but my Dewalt drill is much faster.
Old May 31, 2010, 12:18 PM   #6
James R. Burke

I believe the power trimmer is worth the money. It may not be the fastest out there but mine works good, and never had a problem. I dont do high volume reloading or thay may change my mind, but for what I am doing it works great.
Old June 4, 2010, 11:32 PM   #7
fpchief

IT turns out that the base that hte clamp is mounted on was originally cast. Now they CNC them. RCBS will send you the new one for free.
Old June 5, 2010, 08:45 AM   #8
DANNY-L

Be sure to remove the primer and if you dont have any burrs on the head it should come out sqaure. Sometimes the shell holder isnt firmly in place especially when doing alot of cases and you get into a routine and simple things just slip your mind.