The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 5, 2010, 02:10 AM   #1
Plaz

wheel weights availability

I live in San Diego, CA and just found out that lead wheel weights are against the law here now. How am I going to get my lead weights now? I haven't cast my first bullets yet. Can some of you folks give me some suggestions on where to get my lead from now on?
Old June 5, 2010, 04:09 AM   #2
zippy13

I'm in San Diego County, too. Since the first of this year, it's been against the law to install lead wheel weights in California. This doesn't mean that lead weights won't be coming off for some time to come; but, the supply is dwindling. Perhaps you need to arrive at your local tire store with an ice cold six-pack, or two, just about quitting time on a hot afternoon. California casters will be spending a lot more for their lead and lead alloys in the future.
How often do you go to Yuma or Tijuana?
Old June 5, 2010, 08:34 AM   #3
Rifleman1776

Buy your lead elsewhere. Try scrapyards that specialize in metal. Old cable casings, lead shielding from x-ray rooms, and lots more is excellent lead. I don't know about California but locally (Arkansas) I can buy for 50 cents a pound.
Old June 5, 2010, 08:55 AM   #4
Jim243

What!! In San Diego you can't find a ship yard???
Old June 5, 2010, 10:05 AM   #5
snuffy

Relying on wheel weights is going to be a thing of the past. They will be outlawed in the entire U.S. within 5 years. Thanks to the EPA, we will have no more free or cheap sources of lead. Those evil, poisonous lead weights will attack us from the side of the road! Or get ground into dust by cars running over them, don't ya know we're all gonna die!?

Let it be known you want scrap lead. Tell everybody! Soon you will be handed lead when you least expect it. Look into what happens to the bullet trap metal from a local indoor range. Scrap yards are also great places to look.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old June 5, 2010, 11:38 AM   #6
riverwalker76

If you live in Cali .... try recycling facilities. I'm sure there are dozens in your area. Also .... try old printing shops. Sometimes they have linotype laying around from years ago. This is considered pure gold among a lot of casters since it is a very good alloy to cast with.
Old June 5, 2010, 02:29 PM   #7
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim234
What!! In San Diego you can't find a ship yard???
Funny you should mention that… we used to sell several tons of our Trap and Skeet club's reclaimed shot for racing yacht keel ballast.