The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 19, 2010, 11:13 AM   #1
Lilswede1

.223 Bullet comparison

Sierra 50 gr. Blitzking -- Hornday 50 gr. V-max -- Nosler 50 gr. Ballistic Tip Spitzer.
Rifle's are bolt action Tikka T3, CZ 527 and Rem Mod. 700.
Of these three, which bullet is the most accurate?
Which bullet is the most devasting to varmits?
This isn't much info for this type of question but just looking for educated general opinions.
If you have tried these, and have a favorite would like to know what it is and why.
Old December 19, 2010, 11:21 AM   #2
Mobuck

You won't know w/o trying all in your specific rifle.
Old December 19, 2010, 11:22 AM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

I've never compared their destructiveness. They all seem pretty explosive. After that, as Mobuck says, you need to compare accuracy in your guns to see which bullets the individual chambers prefer.

The Nosler, for example, has a very slight taper to its bearing surface. Some guns just love this and it centers up better in them and they shoot better with Noslers than anything else. But some guns can't get along with that taper at all, and always lay the bullets toward one side of it in the bore.

The Sierra will be as good or better on precision and balance than the others, but some guns seem to like the slightly different balance of the Hornady better. I won't be at all surprised if you find at least one of your guns doesn't prefer the same bullet. They may all want different loads under each bullet. I won't be too surprised if you find one of your guns has a preference for one bullet at 100 yards and for a different one at 300 yards, though that is more common when comparing a boattail bullet to a flat base bullet.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; December 19, 2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old December 19, 2010, 11:45 AM   #4
4runnerman

Having tried all 3 of them. In my gun anyhow the V-Max won hands down.
Im shooting a Savage though. I do have to agree with others ,,Your gun will shoot different than others. I asume twist rate is 1 in 9 ?.
Other two i could get good groups but not as good as V-Max was. Most will do a 3 shot group,i do 5 shot groups,Three is just to iffy in my book. They say if you get two shots touching each other and a 3rd flier,keep looking for another bullet or weight. I could give you my recipie,but like stated all guns are different. Trial and error is your best approach to this one. Try step ladder method on all 3 and you will know by the time you are done what your gun wants. Also all listed bullets are devistating to varmints

Last edited by 4runnerman; December 19, 2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old December 19, 2010, 12:25 PM   #5
farmerboy

I agree with the others, first they have to be accurate out of your particular gun. If they dont do that than they're a waste of time to shoot them. Each and every gun is different and you just have to see. Once they do hit there mark Im sure they will take care of business after that.
Old December 19, 2010, 01:00 PM   #6
rdmallory

You might want to add Varmint Nightmares to the list if you shoot a lot.
See how they group in your gun. They are about 1/2 the cost of the one you have listed.

Doug