The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 8, 2008, 10:19 PM   #1
joneb

Silver State bullets ?

I saw these at the Sportsman's Warehouse, has anyone tried the 38-158 SWC ? I'm wondering what diameter they are, and if you like them.
Thanks jj
Old January 9, 2008, 07:28 PM   #2
The Lovemaster

Rainier

I've seen them at SW too but not tried them. I'm pretty cheap, it causes me great pain to spend more than maybe $35/500 bullets.

Right now I'm using some Bear Creek moly lead 158 gr SWC's ($25/500) in my Python that seem to do well. I've also used Rainier 115 gr FMC's in my 9mm that also work well and are affordable ($36 or so at Cabela's). Seems like you might be able to find Rainiers in your neck of the woods, they're out of Tacoma.
Old January 10, 2008, 12:24 AM   #3
amamnn

I've seen the name from time to time but never bought any of their products. I first noticed them advertising ready made 6mmPPC BR quality (allegedly) brass. Most of the people I know still make their own from LApua 220 russian. They are trying to make a name in match quality components as well as military spec ammo. I don't know anyone who has bought any of it. Maybe you'll be our first source of first hand info when you buy yours.

http://www.ssarmory.com/about-us.aspx
Old January 10, 2008, 12:44 AM   #4
MotoIdaho

Silver State Armory is an ammunition manufacturer.

Silver State Bullets is a brand of X-Treme Bullets, a bullet manufacturer. http://www.xtremebullets.com/cast.htm

I just bought a box of 38-148gr. WC to shoot at the indoor range. We are limited to lead-only and <850fps. I haven't had a chance to load them so nothing to report.

Found the info here in the third post:
http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22118
Old March 3, 2008, 03:21 AM   #5
joneb

I picked up a box of these silver state bullets at the sportsman' warehouse they are the 158gr LSWC the diameter turns out to be a fat .357" they seem harder than Lasercast ?
I tried some in my Ruger Security Six, the loads where,
R-P .357 mag. cases
Federal GM-100 primers
7.5, 7.7and 7.9grs of HS-6
I loaded ten of each and all of these loads shot poorly they were inaccurate and filthy, by filthy I mean Uniquely sooty I have had very good results with HS-6 behind 158gr LSWC and LRNFP at .358 dia with the softer Meister bullets, So it's back to the reloading bench and yes I could use some advise.
reloading 008.jpg