The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 22, 2013, 07:24 AM   #1
std7mag

custom dies and reamers without braking bank..

Hello all.

I have been looking to develop my own line of cartridges.
Have found the parent case I want, and doing other developmental leg work where I can with phone calls, internet and such.

Question I have is where I can get custom reamers and dies without breaking my meager bank account. (single dad making $12 an hour.)

Any sources would be a GREAT help!!!

Thanks!!

Std7mag
Old August 22, 2013, 08:02 AM   #2
PeterTitan

Make them yourself

All you need is a lathe and a little bit of skill...
Or a buddy who works on a lathe and can take some time to help you...
Old August 22, 2013, 08:21 AM   #3
dahermit

Quote:
Make them yourself
All you need is a lathe and a little bit of skill...
Or a buddy who works on a lathe and can take some time to help you...
Lathe plus tooling, plus Milling machine, and the proper steel and the proper heat-treating equipment and the knowledge (machining, metallurgical), training, experience, and skill to use them correctly. Yup...you should have them done by Friday...nothing to it.

Quote:
Question I have is where I can get custom reamers and dies without breaking my meager bank account. (single dad making $12 an hour.)
Unfortunately, "custom reamers and dies" and "meager bank account" are pretty much mutually exclusive. If you can find a source for custom reamers and dies, you will have to pay more than what the average working stiff can afford. Been there (working stiff), and wish I had better news for you. Nevertheless, go to this site for some suggestions:
http://6mmbr.websitetoolbox.com/post...d-Dies-3566240

Last edited by dahermit; August 22, 2013 at 08:33 AM.
Old August 22, 2013, 08:42 AM   #4
steveno

I would suggest that you look at Ackley's reloading manuals first to see if it hasn't already be done. there is usually a remark on the reasons for and/or the lack of success. there are a lot more powders available now then there was back then and that would make up for a lot
Old August 22, 2013, 09:23 AM   #5
PeterTitan

Make it yourself

dahermit
he asked how to make it on a budget, not how to make it by Friday...
and all of the steps you named can be done cheaply, if you do it yourself...
Old August 22, 2013, 11:06 AM   #6
dahermit

Quote:
Make it yourself
dahermit
he asked how to make it on a budget, not how to make it by Friday...
and all of the steps you named can be done cheaply, if you do it yourself...
Yes, if he has the machining background...which he does not, because he is a "$12.00/hour working guy". If he had access to the machinery (Lathe to cut, blank-out the reamer, Milling machine with indexing head to cut the flutes), precision grinder, cutters, measuring tools etc. Not to mention heat-treating equipment (I have worked at places that had fully equipped machine shops and they still sent their stuff out to be heat-treated). If he had all that, and knew how to use them, he would not have asked his question.

The "by Friday" was intended as being facetious inasmuch as what you suggest is about as unlikely as taking out one's own appendix. Albeit, taking out an appendix can be done a whole lot cheaper and with less equipment than making one's own precision reamers and dies.

Did I mention sine bar and gage blocks to set the angles? Yup, I can knock them out by Friday, at the latest...duck soup. What kind of steel do you want them made out of?
Oh, you are going to get a "buddy" to do it? "Buddy" = some machinist who works in (does not own) a commercial shop that does not mind if Fred uses their resources and materials to do a freebe for a friend. Those who have worked in such shops know how bosses feel about free-"government work". Anyone willing to risk their job for a freebe for a friend?
Quote:
all of the steps you named can be done cheaply, if you do it yourself...
The skill/knowledge? How many years in trade school and/or as a machining apprentice? By the way, I did the trade school and was a Macine Shop Teacher/industrial trainer.

Last edited by dahermit; August 22, 2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old August 22, 2013, 02:02 PM   #7
std7mag

Hmmm, Pacific Tool and Gauge...

Looking up the phone number for them... I had seen the "Manson" name before in Cartridges of the World. They were mentioned under some of Gary Reeders custom stuff. Will try to get hold of them also.

I asked for inexpensive due to me contacting Quality Cartridge. Pleasant people, that got right back to me, by the way.
Need $1800 for engineering fee/tooling, then min order is about 1000 pieces, priced at close to what original parent case was, which ends up being about $60 for 20.

Nothing about this endeavor has been "cheap"...
Old August 22, 2013, 02:10 PM   #8
WESHOOT2

Call RCBS.
Call Huntington.
Old August 22, 2013, 03:37 PM   #9
std7mag

Steveno,

I looked at the Ackley cartridges, and none that are listed, are what I'm intending on doing.
Old August 22, 2013, 10:09 PM   #10
reynolds357

Std 7 mag, look at RCBS list of custom dies and see if they have one that is similar to what you want. I just "designed" a wildcat and when we called the person we were going to get to make the reamer, he said "I have one that is only 1degree different in the shoulder. You want it or want me to modify it by 1 degree?" The point I am making is that pretty much anything that has any practical purpose has already been made.
Old August 24, 2013, 04:07 PM   #11
std7mag

Reynolds,

I certainly don't disagree with you there!!

I have heard of someone experimenting with what I want to do before, however I believe due to the rarity of the original parent casing that they made the casing by machining a different casing down.
They had deformation where the machining would have taken place.
I have already called Quality Cartridge, and am now attempting to get the necessary funds together for the engineering/tooling fee. $1800

Then the funding for the initial 1000 piece order. $3000

Want to play with the "original" parent case some, without the removal of materiel to create the casing from a different casing.