The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 4, 2012, 12:53 PM   #1
simmonds

Old Echo C Press

I am getting set up to reload for 45 Colt and maybe .223 for now and found this nice little Echo single stage press for pennies. The ram has been updated with what is probably a RCBS ram so it does take the new snap in type shell holders which is good. From what I understand, the old Echo screw on shell holders are expensive and hard to find. This press is heavy and built like a tank. In the picture you can see a little wedge of wood I put under the body of the press to compensate for the angle and provides a nice solid foundation for the press. I can lean all my weight on the press ram and notice zero flex or give so although it is a "C" design press, I can see no possible advantage of an O style press over this old beauty. My first thoughts were to use this temporarily until I can get a good deal on an old RCBS or even a new Rock Chucker but now feel no need to rush to find something "better". Maybe I will machine me up a piece of aluminum as a wedge instead of the wooden one.

Why did they make the older presses at this backward slant angle? That is the only thing i cannot figure out.

Here she is:

Last edited by simmonds; April 4, 2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old April 4, 2012, 01:40 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Early attempt at ergonomics I suppose. It'll let you double check powder level in the case as you set the bullet in. It may make the primers a little less prone to falling out of the primer feed.

I like the die clamp feature up top. I think I'd look for a pivoting paddle lever screw to use that.

The main advantage of an O press is the press tends to stretch equally on both legs without making the mating pressure of the die and shell holder uneven as you turn a die down enough for some intentional interference fit. You'll probably need a case runout gauge to tell, though. Even if you can detect a disadvantage it will be of absolutely no consequence to handgun loads or even to normal rifle loading. I began my earliest service rifle match loading for .30-06 on a Lyman Spar-T press which is less rigid than your Echo and still got some very straight resized cases. I upgraded to get more mechanical advantage in sizing for my arm, and not because the press didn't work. I just wouldn't worry about it unless you run into a precision limits for your kind of shooting. At point you'll be looking at more than the press, though.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 4, 2012, 04:21 PM   #3
markr

I suspect the slanted press is an attempt to make it easier to eyeball what is going on. Is that ergonomics?

Washed up 11B1P
Old April 4, 2012, 04:24 PM   #4
Ideal Tool

Hello, simmonds..that is a nice conditioned press. The comment of no advantage over an "O" press....has been addressed by the manufacturer themselves...That slot & screw at top of press is not for clamping die..it holds a steel bar, that originally was supplied with press & attaches in primer arm slot. This in effect is an attempt to strengthen & convert into a sort of "O" press when more stress is put upon it..like bullet swaging.
Old April 4, 2012, 05:36 PM   #5
wncchester

"I suspect the slanted press is an attempt to make it easier to eyeball what is going on."

Correct. And the popular conception that "C" presses are vastly more springy than "O" presses is wrong; the "C" types were/are much more rigid than many presume and "O" presses are much less rigid than they seem to suppose (my RockChucker springs almost 3 thou when FL sizing .30-06 cases). Any "C" press, including Lee's little "Reloader", will easily handle any handgun cases and most rifle cases too.

The biggest disadvantage the old "C" presses had was the lever linkage, the modern compound toggle system makes it MUCH easier to size cases. I've home-shop modified a couple of the old linkage types into compounds and they are a lot more pleasant to use now.
Old April 4, 2012, 06:29 PM   #6
simmonds

Thanks for the interesting ideas on this old Echo press everyone. Interesting on the lever vs the compound linkage too. I can see where that might be a great advantage over the C presses like mine although I did resize a couple hundred 45 colt cases today with it and experienced no fatigue and it seemed like a fairly simple operation.

Ideal Tool: Have you seen these with the metal removable piece to make it a O style press? I assumed the slot and screw at the top would be to hold an automatic primer tube holding apparatus like you see made for the RCBS presses.

I did some Google searches and there is almost ZERO information on Echo presses on there. It would be nice to see a early Echo catalog of presses and reloading accessories they made back then (when ever "then" was)

Chris
Old April 5, 2012, 12:29 PM   #7
WIL TERRY

E. C. Herkner lives...!!!
Old April 6, 2012, 12:07 PM   #8
F. Guffey

Before the political correct police get involved the tilt back at the top was an effort to gain a leverage advantage, if not for the kick back at the top the linkage at the bottom would require the press to be cantilevered and away from the work bench, then there is “where is the strength?” “C” type presses had webs, the Good Ol’ Herters Super 3 “C” press was advertised as a three web press, and illustrated in their advertisements being tested with deflection gages and compared with other presses.

And there was no reason for looking under the press to determine shell holder/case die alignment.

Then there was the “U” press and the two ram press, again those are kick back presses, something about getting the press off the perpendicular and the arch of the arm travel that offered an advantage to leverage, and again leaning over to observe the alignment of the case with the die was never given consideration after the press left the manufacturer.

F. Guffey
Old April 6, 2012, 02:57 PM   #9
Unclenick
Staff

Quote:
Hello, simmonds..that is a nice conditioned press. The comment of no advantage over an "O" press....has been addressed by the manufacturer themselves...That slot & screw at top of press is not for clamping die..it holds a steel bar, that originally was supplied with press & attaches in primer arm slot. This in effect is an attempt to strengthen & convert into a sort of "O" press when more stress is put upon it..like bullet swaging.
Interesting! I see now looking at the picture more closely that the slot doesn't go all the way to the threads, so not a clamp as I'd thought. You just pop out the primer feed and put the bar in its place and at the top. Interesting idea, and not too hard to make your own using the press as the drill guide. It's a C-press and an O-press rolled into one. Cool beans!
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle