The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 3, 2008, 06:19 PM   #26
arizona98tj

Quote:
Its just another thing that adds to the length of the HD gun. Its just something else that isnt needed and can put you in harms way if it gets stuck on something as the BG is coming at you. Too many useless add ons and not enough thought behind them. It makes an 18" barrel turn into a 26" sharp pointy one that can get caught and hung up on something very easy. I dont see the point except to look tacticool.
Some folks may seem to take this thread far to seriously, IMHO. You decided if you fit into that category.

Just because someone, like me, has a lug on a 12 gauge does not mean the bayonet is affixed 24/7. In fact, stop on by and do a spot check....if you find it mounted, I'll buy you your beverage of choice and report back here. With a bit more work, that same home made lug could serve as a flashlight mount. That doesn't mean the flashlight would be attached 24/7 either. If you look at the photo I posted of my Savage, you won't even find a sling on it....and it is not black or camo.....no red dot sight.....so much for the tacticool theme theory.

As for the thought behind my installing it.....I will say you've not the slightest idea as to my thought process....unless you were shooting with me 30 something years ago when I did it. If so, then you may have been privy to why we did it and the reasons behind doing so.

To put it another way....lighten up....have some fun.....enjoy life.....and don't put more into an internet forum thread than it deserves. No one is making you weld one onto your barrel, are they?
Old August 3, 2008, 06:44 PM   #27
Nnobby45

Bayonet with a pistol grip? Are you sure?
Old August 3, 2008, 07:36 PM   #28
mikenbarb

But why even put a bayonet lug on to begin with? And they make alot better things to mount a flashlight with alot less work. And if others are asking how to install one or where to get one, Im going to give my opinion why it is or is not a good idea and my reasons why. My bird gun works fine for HD with no tacticool things taking up precious space and my 4-D Mag Light is always next to it. Guess im old book HD but it has never failed me in the 29 years I have had it.
Old August 3, 2008, 08:52 PM   #29
arizona98tj

Why put it on? Because I could. Why does it matter so much to you that I did? It was a project I undertook under the supervision of an old German gun shop owner. I had the opportunity to learn how to silver solder. I had the opportunity to learn how to prep and hot blue a long gun. I had the opportunity to learn how to refinish the wood. And amazingly, it was all fun to do.

I'm glad to hear that your bird gun suits your HD needs and that your 4 cell flashlight works equally well for you. If you've been doing it for 29 years, you are most likely very handy with it. Folks couldn't ask for more if what they have satisfies there needs. Your are a fortunate man.

Now....if you will let me enjoy mine, the way I like it, without your comments, that would be equally nice.
Old August 3, 2008, 08:59 PM   #30
MTMilitiaman

I don't know...

I think a bayonet makes more sense on a shotgun than it does on more rifles.

At least a shotgun is used at ranges where a bayonet might serve its purpose.
Old August 3, 2008, 09:57 PM   #31
daveydoo

az98 I like the mod you made. bayonet can be effective in a back to wall and all else failed. Better than folder tactical knives I see. Sorry guys I perfer slippies or vics as folders. Fixed blades are my choice for a fighting knife
Old August 4, 2008, 08:13 AM   #32
mikenbarb

Arizona, If you just wanted to enjoy it without comments, Why did you post it on a public forum site? If you post something that another thinks is silly, Most will reply with their thoughts(Im sure you have read and replied in some) and this is why we have sites like this and if your going to submit a thread, Then it leaves you open for discussion and comments on it. Sorry if the comments offend you but that is my opinion only. And if you look and read replys, I am not the only one thinking this is another tackycool item that isnt needed.(and some do) I think that old girl would have looked beautiful restored back to factory condition and you could have learned the same things that you were taught by the smitty. Im glad you like it and wish you the best and no offense meant personally. And if im not mistaken, This thread was started by chickenman. And by the way your reacting, You make it like your the OP.
Old August 4, 2008, 10:20 AM   #33
chickenman

hoytinak,
Im near the 121 cut Lake Lewisville.

the rest of you,
I have been around many forums and found this one to be informative. I'll stick around.....but only if us bayonet shotgun guys don’t get laughed at.
Old August 4, 2008, 11:59 AM   #34
daveydoo

Just take it off before going around the others, and when you are alone.... stick it time! I have one on my 590 and 590a1. My 500 is my multi purpose gun and no it does not have one.
Old August 4, 2008, 03:15 PM   #35
Nnobby45

Quote:
Now....if you will let me enjoy mine, the way I like it, without your comments, that would be equally nice.
Lighten up just a touch, Arizona--the board is all about other peoples' comments and none of them could possibly prevent you from enjoying your project--- even if someone expresses doubt as to the wisdom of putting a bayonet, LOL, on a shotgun.

You could put all that stuff you learned to good use building a William Wallace (Braveheart) sword that would be awesome. Or, you could put a bayonet on a shotgun which tends to invite comments
Old August 4, 2008, 04:00 PM   #36
daveydoo

Come on bring it (as i load my bayonet to my 590)
Old August 4, 2008, 06:07 PM   #37
OrangeJoe

I never knew there was any controversy around this, afterall, it is a factory standard feature on my Mossberg 590.

Old August 4, 2008, 08:47 PM   #38
mikenbarb

A factory standard bayonet lug on a 590???? Not the ones I have seen.
Old August 5, 2008, 01:47 PM   #39
WacosSon

I thought the whole idea of a firearm was so that you didn't have to get close enough to use a bayonet.....
Old August 5, 2008, 01:49 PM   #40
WacosSon

Quote:
I never knew there was any controversy around this, afterall, it is a factory standard feature on my Mossberg 590.
Um, no.....no its not.
Old August 5, 2008, 01:52 PM   #41
copenhagen

MTMilitiaman:

Quote:
I think a bayonet makes more sense on a shotgun than it does on more rifles.

At least a shotgun is used at ranges where a bayonet might serve its purpose.
My sentiments exactly.
Old August 5, 2008, 02:45 PM   #42
AmesJainchill

Quote:
I thought the whole idea of a firearm was so that you didn't have to get close enough to use a bayonet...
That's one of the major advantages of a firearm, but sometimes your opponents don't sit politely at a distance and wait for you to shoot them.
Old August 5, 2008, 03:09 PM   #43
chickenman

You must mean spear?

"Spears started in the Bronze Age until the advent of firearms"

Cheers
Old August 5, 2008, 03:50 PM   #44
Shiner Bock

My 590 has a factory standard bayonet lug. I'm not sure but they may have been discontinued.
Old August 5, 2008, 04:45 PM   #45
deputy tom

AZ I think you did a nice job on your shotgun and like the bayo lug.I don't need one myself but enjoy seeing others tacticool stuff.My buddy has a Mossberg 590A1 (I believe) that came factory equipped with a bayo lug as well.He has one of those newer Marine issue bayonets that he likes to stick on it for fun.Surely a scary sharp item.tom.

An end will come on the world, but love and music will endure.
Thig crioch air an t-saoghail, ach mairidh gaol 's ceol.
Old Scottish Gaelic proverb
Old August 5, 2008, 05:08 PM   #46
mikenbarb

MTMilitia, I shoot my slug gun @ 200yds so I guess its not as close as what you think and would be hard to get em with a pig poker at that range.
Old August 5, 2008, 09:15 PM   #47
spoolup

Quote:
A factory standard bayonet lug on a 590???? Not the ones I have seen.
Only all the standard offered 20" 590s from mossberg have accesory lugs As seen here
Old August 5, 2008, 10:21 PM   #48
mikenbarb

Its an accesory lug, Not a bayonet lug. I dont think they would ever say its a bayonet lug and offer it as that because theirs a difference between a flashlight and a bayonet. If so, Theyre getting MNS(mall ninja syndrome) and should rethink what their doing. LOL Im suprised the lawyers let them do it and if they knew a sharp bayonet fit on it, They wouldnt have put it on. And how long does a bayonet have to be to fit half way down the barrel(oops, 1/3 the way down it) and still be able to use it? It looks like its pretty far back to me.
Old August 6, 2008, 06:48 AM   #49
Icopy1

My Mossy 500 and 590 both came from the factorty with the "accessory" lug. Bayonet must be another word for "accessory" at Mossberg.
Old August 6, 2008, 08:48 AM   #50
mikenbarb

Show me one place on their site where they state its a bayonet lug because I cant find anywhere its mentioned by them. I think if it was ment to be a bayonet lug or they wanted shooters to put one on it, It would have been worded like that. Also, The bayonet lugs I have seen are mounted at the muzzle and not almost a third the way down the barrel on a magazine tube. They have it that way for a reason, To use flashlights and other items like that on them because the muzzle blast would blow a flashlight off the end of a REAL bayonet lug. Face it, Its an accesory lug and not a bayonet lug.