The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 4, 2005, 04:25 PM   #51
mnrivrat

Fuel economy !!!

Less lead, less powder , and still does the job . Good for the invernment !

That's why I shoot a 20ga.
Old January 6, 2005, 02:01 AM   #52
Samuel2001

First! off I gotta say my Pops hunted duck and goose for many many years, and never touched off a magnum or a 12 ga. Yet, year after year we seemed to have a few duck and goose diners, and left overs too! All he ever used was 20 & 28 gauge?

He also seemed to shoot circles around some guys with high dollar 12s when shoot'n skeet. Too bad I didn't inherit his shooting abilities, I suck with a shotgun!!

Now, if I called him stupid for having a 20/28 and not having a 12, he'd of smacked me before I finished the sentence!!

Jeez, some people realy tick me off!!

Oh, and by the way, I agree all handguns should be chambered in .45.

Build a bridge, and...GET OVER IT!
Old January 6, 2005, 10:33 AM   #53
Ohio Annie

Dumb post

Shotguns come in different gauges for different purposes. So if somebody considers himself a real he-man so that he needs a 10 gauge who cares? Not I.

Eating my delicious game shot with my .410 Mossberg 500,
Old January 6, 2005, 12:51 PM   #54
jefnvk

I don't think I can add anything to this conversation that hasn't already been said, except you said:
Quote:
Honestly I wanted to know what people think. Just wanted to ruffle a few feathers, not looking for insults haha
You wanted to rufle some feathers, thereby insulting people, and expect them to not insult you back?

BTW, do you deer hunt with a .700 NE?
Old January 14, 2005, 12:02 AM   #55
cntryboy1289

got a 20 you won't wanna shoot twice

Devlcl, I have a very old single shot we call thumper. It is a very nice shooting gun. I learned on it when I was around 5. I cried all day long afterwards. When I was 11, I shot a box of shells and put the gun up at the dove field. My dad asked what was up, I told him to get me another gun to shoot. I finally ended up with a Remington Model 48 Mohawk that I shoot even to this day. The point is I love the 20 gauge. I can carry it without wearing out and my shoulder doesn't hurt from shooting 5-6 boxes of shells at a time. Any time you feel like you're much of a man, I load lil thumper up with a load of buckshot or high brass 4's and we will see how you come out. Then you can tell me how much the guys who shoot a 20 gauge are such little babies while I help you up off the ground.
Old January 14, 2005, 12:31 AM   #56
DevLcL

Ok? I shoot 12ga #4 loads all day long.... not too bad on the shoulder I might add.
Old January 16, 2005, 02:49 PM   #57
Rojoe67

Who are you - and what part of the universe you call home?

Buddy......... What is it you expect to do insulting fellow gun owners and shooters? Your post is the strange type of crap I hoped I wouldn't read here.
Your name DevLcl is likely what you wish you were. I am confident your not even close to being a swimmer let a lone a SEAL... Get some class and read before you write.

I think if you pull up -say Remington Ammunition Ballistics you could learn a little about things that go bang. I have both 12 and 20 gauge shotguns. I like the 20 pump best for turkey hunts. It is super lite and it kills birds. Do you hunt? I assume not but if you ever do you might understand why so many 20's get sold each year. As for home defense I see no different outcome if bad guy breaks into my house. He will die from either a 12 or a 20 and if my 410 is all I have..... Bad guy still will likely not break into anymore homes in my neighborhood.

To answer one other question you have posted: Yes there is a bunch of loads for shotguns other than slugs and buckshot....... Loads for geese, small game, clays and so on.... check out an ammo site and get educated please.

Hope that helps a little....
Old January 16, 2005, 05:29 PM   #58
notheultimateshooter

is this what i can expect from this forum?

perhaps DevLcL could tell us which he prefers a 12 gauge or a 20 gauge - after both have been shoved up his polished ramp.

oh yeah, we're dealing with an idiot so none of this makes sense anyway...

Old January 18, 2005, 04:47 PM   #59
DevLcL

Your wrong RoJoe, DevLcL is what my my best friend called himself. Since he's dead I thought I'd carry on the name. Has nothing to do with the seals.
Old January 18, 2005, 07:03 PM   #60
K80Geoff

Is this thread still going???

I thought we settled this argument, the 28 GA is the obvious choice. Any other arguments are moot.

28 GA, get over it!
Old January 18, 2005, 08:42 PM   #61
Lawyer Daggit

20 gua & 28 gua

I was once given the advice shoot what is comfortable and practice as often as possible.

If someone finds a 20 gua or 28 gua more comfortable and practices more often than a 12 gua they are likely to shoot it better.

Remember, in this world, everyone except a gun grabber is entitled to an opinion!
Old January 20, 2005, 08:41 PM   #62
BLKLABMAN

One most post for the thread.

The 20ga is a fine load. It's all I use for quail. My wife shoots a 20ga Benelli M1 with both a SRM Terror .675 and a Briley X2 LM, loaded with Kent Tungsten 3" #3's for duck and geese. Inside it's limits the 20ga is DEADLY.

As far as the comments about the 10ga goes.
I wonder how many of the "experts have actually owned/shot/patterned one???
I own 12, 20 and 10ga shotguns. I duck hunt with both 20 and 12ga's. I shoot SC with the 12ga.
However...... I also go on around 60 hunts a year for geese, here, in SD, ND, TX ,and Canada. Say what you will but for Giant Canada's, Specks and Snows, I'll take a reloaded 10ga anyday of the week with it's shot density.
I also do on occasion guide for an Outfitter friend. I carry a shotgun only to bat cleanup on (if any) cripples. For this the 10ga is more than up to the task
And yes ALL shots whether I'm hunting by myself or with a group are over the dekes.

Edit,
Just to say. The shooting world would be better off if people would not thumb the're arrogant noses at others because of the equipment they use.
An example. I've seen so-called adults laugh openly at a kid because he was using an 870 Express. To me this is WAY beyond childish and foolishness. These so-called adults better known as Barney's or rubberheads would be kicked out of my blind in a heartbeat.
Anyway I'm off my soapbox.

Last edited by BLKLABMAN; January 21, 2005 at 08:11 PM.
Old February 8, 2005, 12:29 PM   #63
franco antonelli

20 gauge stupidity

never mind that hunting pheasants with 12 gauge could be too easy?

I don't feel any emotion to drive out a beatiful road mountain with the late yamaha 1000 cc. four cilinders, the best of brake, frame and power.
I feel large perceptive emotion to drive out the same road with my motorcycle Guzzi 500cc. 1932 , change by hand, ridiculous brakes, rigid frame. Join the top of the road, I am satisfied, the bike has been able
to arrive, slowly and noisy, but won the challenge.

I don't feel any emotion hunting pheasants with setter and 12 gauge semiauto beretta, four shotshells, 5 ounces of lead. I kill them at 98%, perhaps 99%.
So I hunt pheasants with 20 gauge that obliges me to be more precise. I miss someone , the difficult generates emotion, satisfaction.
today it's not important the meat, but fun and I hunt for fun, next year I shall hunt with muzzleloaders;
I hope that no one would counsel sling...
ciao, franco
Old February 8, 2005, 06:26 PM   #64
tokarevman

If it takes a real man to shoot a 12 gauge, what do you call a man who can shoot a prefict round of skeet with a 410? A realy talented man.
Old February 10, 2005, 03:22 PM   #65
Unique 5.7

I seem to remember reading about a test that was done over 10 years ago that concluded almost everybody shot much better with a 20 ga. instead of a 12 ga. Anybody remember that?
Old February 11, 2005, 03:45 AM   #66
Brian Dale

CB3 wrote,
Quote:
Colin is new here ...
OK.

DevLcL, you wrote,
Quote:
Try to picture this. A few guys are huddled together at a campfire talking about the day over a bottle of wiskey. The year is somewhere in the mid-1800's. Noticing a noise in the bushes they all get a little nervous. One of them grabs a 20GA!!! to investigate??????..... I THINK NOT.
See if you can find someone who owns a 20 gauge shotgun who will agree you accompany you for a test. Find a place where you can hang a pumpkin or a gallon jug full of water by a string from a tree branch; be sure that you have a safe shooting area and nothing to be damaged beyond it.

Shoot the pumpkin from a distance that matches a typical distance for a shot fired in self-defense. Perhaps five yards, if you're simulating a long, indoor shot. You can do it again at ten, then fifteen yards. What about three yards? Wear old clothes. Take several pumpkins. Compare buckshot, bird shot and slugs.

Let us know if you change your mind about the effectiveness of the 20 gauge shotgun.
Never have a rifle and a pith helmet in your car at the same time. If you do, then some day you’ll take the rifle out of the car and put the pith helmet on your head, so you can take all of your odds, ends, and coffee cup into the house in one trip. When you do this, one of your friends will drive past and see you. Wearing a pith helmet and carrying a rifle. In your yard. You will never live this down.
Old May 21, 2005, 07:49 AM   #67
big daddy 9mm

I see you a 'thing' for the 12 gauge

is the 12 gauge your mom or somwthing? it should not be the only caliber
[color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] would you say somethink like that, all calibers have their place. I hop eyou only ccw a 44mag becuase that is what the old timers did in the 1800s I could just not imagine wild bill going tio investagate a situation with a 9mm or a 380.
I hope that you are consistant with big caliber religious beliefs :barf:
Old May 21, 2005, 10:27 AM   #68
Georgian

I also like the 20 gauge, its all I've ever shot, in SS H&R Model 51. Sweet and light. I was thinking about getting a pump gun or a double in 20 ga, but was thinking ppl would look down on me, being around 6'2 and 285 pounds, thinking i was a wimp for choosing a 20, but its all I've ever shot, and thats what I have ammo for, 20 gauge.

God Bless
Old May 21, 2005, 05:24 PM   #69
Russ5924

I love the 20 and the 12 but just can't for the life of me see a 3 1/2 12 gauge, dam how did we ever kill anything with a 2 3/4 inch.As far as this post what is %$$%#
Old May 21, 2005, 06:48 PM   #70
918sgt

20 gauge

Please, by all means, fill us in with your unlimited wisdom on all the other things you know absolutely nothing about but still pontificate.

Oh yea, try to check your spelling and punctuation before you post so only a few will know your level of education. I'm sure it rivals your experience.

A 12 gauge is preferable for those that cannot do the job with a 20 gauge.
Old May 21, 2005, 11:46 PM   #71
12-34hom

Quote:
The 410 is a abomination
Wow, what bombast - you sir are a Cad!

I also carry a 410 into the fields - stout load of lead # 5 shot - not too bad on my shoulder....

Quail & pheasants are reactions - ducks are ballistics.

12-34hom.
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life. I must master itas i master my life.Without me my rifle is useless, without my rifle i am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I Will. Before God i swear this creed. My rifle and myself are defenders of my country. We are masters of our enemy. We are saviours of my life. So be it until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.
Old May 24, 2005, 01:02 AM   #72
Dropped Hammer

I have to agree with wudjalike2no ..the 12 and 10 gauge as well as the 8 bore are for little girls...If you are a REAL MAN then the only shotgun you will shoot is the Russian 4 gauge DROZD...anyone who shoots anything less than a 4 gauge is definatly lacking a set of testicles..
Old May 24, 2005, 04:28 PM   #73
unclestu

Well, gee, I guess all those squirrels, rabbits, birds, & even deer we bagged with our 20 ga shotguns just died of fright. Probably confused the noise with a big, he-man real-shotgun 12 or 10 ga!

I think the 12 is great for waterfowl, defense & some other particular uses. But for most of my shotgun usage for most of my life, the 20 ga has served just fine. That includes the old Foster-type 20 ga slugs for deer, just as far as you can place your shot accurately!
Old May 26, 2005, 03:12 PM   #74
kojak

IMO there's no difference between 20 gauge and 12 gauge. The same weight at the same speed gives the same recoil. That's it. the difference is 12 gauge is cheaper to shoot and 20 gauge has barrels with less diameter.

20 gauge could very well recoil more than 12 gauge if it weights less..

12 gauge has the advantage to use heavier loads with more recoil that aren't available in 20 gauge, agreed. But on top of that, if you go even farther, 12/76 or 12/89, you get only disadvantages. I have 12/76 and use only 12/70 so cleaning is more complicated as with 12/70 guns.

Why not just buy 12 gauge for practicability and 20 gauge if a nice gun comes your way? Life can be so easy.
Old May 26, 2005, 03:55 PM   #75
kingudaroad

DFTT !!!!!........Love that acronym page at FAQ.
Closed Thread