The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 14, 2002, 06:49 PM   #1
jtduncan

Lee Dies in Dillon 550 w/o Lock Nuts - How?

Lee Dies in Dillon 550 w/o Lock Nuts - How?

As some of you know, i just picked up a second Dillon press. An older Dillon 550 for 45 ACP and 44 mag.

Well I had cleaned it all up, lubed it, and was just tinkering with my die settings and noticed that my Lee factory crimp die (FCD) can't sit in position 4 in the toolhead/die plate unless I take off the lock nut. I tried flipping it upside down and that didn't work.

I looked at putting it on the bottom with some Dillon thinner lock nuts and it was to thick and would hit the indexing star.

Do I need a lock nut on my Lee FCD to keep it in place on the toolhead?

Or do you need locknuts on your dies at all?

Was thinking of just not using a lock nut on on that die. But would that get out of alignment and screw itself out?

Solution?
Old April 14, 2002, 11:21 PM   #2
JimmyDee

Bummer! I've always noticed that dies made by someone other than Dillon always seemed to "ride low" in the tool head but I never came across this. (I use Lee FCD for a couple rifle cartridges only.)

I would not run the thing without somehow locking the die and I suspect that a bit of glue (too slow for me) or floss wrapped in the threads might do the trick. I'd probably make a mark on the die and toolhead so I'd know where to crank it to and so that movement would be noticable.

Let us know what you decide to do...
Old April 15, 2002, 11:05 AM   #3
Jim Watson

Lee now advertises that their dies have longer threaded sections to work in thick headed presses. Call 'em up and see if they will give you an exchange or at least a discount.
Old April 15, 2002, 05:10 PM   #4
Clint Tickler

A friend of mine had the same problem and drilled and tapped the tool head so that he could run a set screw in from the side and lock the die in place. You don't need to torque the set screw too tight or you'll bugger up the threads on the die.
Old April 16, 2002, 05:46 AM   #5
maxwayne

Did you try a thinner Dillon nut on the top? I have had the same problem and have used the thinner lock nuts. Some of my dies are screwed down pretty far.
Old April 16, 2002, 05:47 PM   #6
jtduncan

I'm going to have the run the Lee dies with the Dillon locknuts on the bottom.

I'll just not have a full downward stroke when I raise the shellplate up to the dies/toolhead.

Seems that is the common solution.

Oh well!

Thanks.
Old April 16, 2002, 10:46 PM   #7
JimmyDee

Does this mean that you'll lower all the other dies in the toolhead?

There are a couple other things that happen when the ram tops out at the bottom of the pull stroke. The most troublesome, it seems, is that the primer bar won't be pushed all the way under the primer tube unless you raise the anchor for the primer bar actuator.

Another undesirable thing, I'd guess, is that the shell plate base will be taking force from the base of the die(s) and not something nice and soft like the brass case that is usually being resized in position 1. It seems to me that those allen head cap screws will be stretched.
Old April 17, 2002, 03:28 PM   #8
jtduncan

I tested it and all seemed fine by just lowering the dies and adding locknut to bottom.