The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 20, 2002, 09:55 PM   #1
Derm95

Seating the Meister .38 sp HBWC

The Meister .38 special HBWC 148 gr bullet has a cannalure groove on it. Is this where the seating depth should be?
Or should it be seated flush with the case like most wad cutters? I assume the former.
Old April 21, 2002, 09:21 AM   #2
Bacchus

I usually seat by using OAL rather than a crimping groove in order to ensure that the pressure isn't too high. As long as you seat within the minimum and not over max, you should be OK.
Old April 21, 2002, 09:28 AM   #3
Jim Watson

I'd try it both ways and see which is more accurate.
Most HBWC load data is based on flush seating and is very mild anyway, so there is no worry about pressures.
Old April 21, 2002, 12:09 PM   #4
Derm95

Thanks for the replies.

Since I'm using 357 magnum guns, I figure Maximum OAl won't be a problem.

I loaded up a batch at the cannelure groove today with 2.7 gr Bullseye to COAL 1.300 in.

The Meister bullet is slimmer past this cannelure groove so I thought that they must have designated it as the depth to seat it at rather than flush with the case.

The Meister bullet web site says their lawyers won't let them post load data.
Old April 21, 2002, 03:48 PM   #5
Quantrill

38 wadcutters

Derm,
I agree with the above unless you intend using them in a Smith and Wesson model#52 which need flush mounted wadcutters to function. Quantrill
Old April 21, 2002, 05:10 PM   #6
Jim Watson

Learn something every day.
I looked on the Meister site at the picture of that bullet. It appears have the bore diameter straight nose of the very old style wadcutters made before the H&G No 50 and its narrow front band and the hollow base flush seating wadcutters; but combined with their hollow base. Don't know of another like it. Seating to and crimping in the groove are most likely correct. Seeing that, I don't think I would choose it to seat flush for my M52.