The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 19, 2002, 05:34 AM   #1
vluc

OAL vs increased powder charge

Which is the best way to go to increase velocity (and power factor) - decreasing the OAL or increasing the charge?

I have a load of 9mms that test out like this:

9mm, 124 grain Montana Gold, 4.2 grains Titegroup at 1.16 oal
chronographed indoors with a shooting chrony and chrony indoor light fixtures. Each pistol had two strings of 10 shots fired. Shoot, set down pistol, record score, shoot...

Glock 34 1113 fps PF 138
Sig 226 1028 fps, PF 127
SIG 225 1022 fps, PF 126

I shoot both USPSA and IDPA. The Glock does not concern me as I have room to spare above that 125 PF. But I use the SIG's in IDPA and that's a touch too tight.

I like loading long...it is very reliable in its feeding and the loads shoot excellent...very little deviation in the strings.

So...do I wait and chrono outdoors to see what the difference is or begin to adjust the loads? If I adjust the loads, do I go to the maximum charge Hodgdon lists (4.4 at 1.09)? Their data indicates I can get 1126 out of a 4" barrel, but with the OAL set at 1.09, not the 1.16 I really like.

So, as the topic states...do I address the OAL or the charge?

Any and all help is appreciated.
Old April 19, 2002, 06:28 AM   #2
WESHOOT2

IMNSLE

Suggest safer to increase powder charge.

And I highly recommend trying a 'slower' powder, like 3N37, Power Pistol, HS6, AA5, etc.....
Old April 19, 2002, 08:26 AM   #3
C.R.Sam

WS2 n I agree on that one. Your OAL works in your guns. GENTLY work the load up to get the PF desired.

Sam
Old April 19, 2002, 12:15 PM   #4
stans

Load your bullets out to the maximum OAL that feeds reliably, then work up the powder charge. Deep seating a bullet increases velocity, but the pressure increases at a faster rate. This is why the 30-06 has a little higher velocity than the 308 at the same pressure levels. Loading bullets out to a longer OAL has the same effect as using a longer case.