The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 16, 2002, 04:00 PM   #1
Alex Johnson

Opinions of LEE PRO 1000 PRESS

I saw one of these presses advertised, it says it's a true progressive with the carbide dies included along with case feeders, primer tubes, and a couple of other extras for $149. My father was not all that impressed with a Lee loader he had for .223. All he seems to feel a person should buy is the Dillon reloaders or RCBS rockchuckers. Has anyone had better experiences with these presses, they sure seem like a good deal and would be nice to buy for dedicated calibers that one shoots a lot.
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Mark Twain
Old April 16, 2002, 04:15 PM   #2
Clint Tickler

Hmmm. Lee Pro 1000. I've got one of those somewhere in my basement. How is your frustration leval? Actualy, I loaded a lot of good ammo on my 1000. I just got tired of always fussing with it. Got a Dillon 650 now and while any self indexing, progressive reloader needs tweaking the Dillon is much more fun and less demanding! There seem to be quite a few folks who make them work and are happy. If your patient and want to save a few bucks go for it.
Old April 16, 2002, 10:44 PM   #3
Freedom in theSkies

I have one and reload .38, .357, 9mm, .45 ACP, .223...Yep that's about it...
I like it, but I won't use it unless I have a "lot" of about 300 or more cases to reload.
Of course it does'nt take very long to fill them all back up once you get rolling...
Old April 17, 2002, 05:18 AM   #4
WESHOOT2

LEE -- OPINION

They make good dies, and their chamfer tool is priceless (but only $3), and the case trimming tools are definitely a must-have, but their presses are pot-metal junk.

Please don't post about how "I've had one for a zillion years and its great", because I don't think so.
Better than nothing, but when thinking progressive think blue, red, or green.
(Dillon, Hornady, RCBS)

Your results may vary, but they ARE pot metal LOL.
Old April 17, 2002, 05:56 AM   #5
schild

I suffered for years with not one, but two 1000's(you need one for parts). After using a Lee you can really appreciate what a fine machine the Dillon 650 is.
Old April 17, 2002, 12:38 PM   #6
cukrus

Lee 1000

I've got a couple of these myself. One for 9mm and .38 SA (short case feeder) and the other for .38 Sp and .357 Mag. (long case feeder.) Both were used. Didn't take much to get 'em into adjustment. Just don't use the hammer on the pot metal parts! Have fun with 'em.
Maybe I enjoy them the way I like my different (custom) bicycles, or my reliable ol' Mec Grabber. You don't always have to drive a sports car to enjoy getting where you're going.
Old April 17, 2002, 02:19 PM   #7
stuckatwork

I have one of those buggers. It is tempermental, but when it is on, it sings. If I could justify the cost, I would be using a Dillon 650. The only thing about the Lee is you need to keep up with it. I use mine for 38spc, 9mm, 357mag, 357Sig, 38 super, 45 Long Colt, 45 ACP, .223 and 7.62X39. Can't do long cases like .308 or 30.06, but that is what I have the Rock chucker for.

One thing. The precsion of the 1000 is okay, but if you want really accurate loads, the powder delivery system just won't do it. And the plastic parts do wear out. It is a good thing that the replacement parts are cheap. Don't buy them from Lee, get parts from Midway.

I do like the Lee pistol dies.

Good luck.
Old April 17, 2002, 03:24 PM   #8
Alex Johnson

I'm not much of a gambler, think I'll juggle the income and look at one of the Dillons. Thanks for the information.
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Mark Twain
Old April 17, 2002, 08:37 PM   #9
what, another gun?

Sure glad I saw this thread.... The experience you all have had with this one saved me...was thinking about getting one today.
I posted the thread on the anniversary kit v the delux pistol kit and wonder if theey have the same problems?
Tom