The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 8, 2024, 08:49 AM   #1
old fart

Which one??

I thought I would post here because of the different models involved. My local shop has a sale on 22lr handguns and just can't seem to decide. The Keltec P17 is $199 and I know thats retail but all local shops and even Rural King near me they are $259. The Ruger Wrangler at $199 as well, The Glock 44 is $309 and the Taurus Tx22 is $289. The heritage Rough Rider is $119 for the 22lr only model. So what would y'all do in this case? My main use will be to carry while hiking for small game or varmits. I carry a 9mm for defense, the 22 will be as a plinker, small game and varmit hiking gun. Thanks for any help
Old February 8, 2024, 01:15 PM   #2
Ricklin

None of the above

I think Ruger is up to Mark 4 now on their semi autos, the classic Ruger semi auto is my favorite. They do offer a different series with a 1911 style grip angle if that is your preference.
Hard to beat as a plinker. I would not be at all shy about buying used.
Old February 8, 2024, 02:10 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

My go to choice for a .22 would be an adjustable sight Ruger.

And, it wouldn't have to be new to make me happy, either.

I've had a Ruger Mk I target and a Super Single Six for abit over 40 years. They work great, are accurate, and if anything ever did go wrong with either (doubtful) Ruger will fix it.

Adjustable sights allows the guns to be rapidly and easily re-zeroed if you happen to find your latest batch of .22 LR shoots "off" from your usual POA.

TO me, that ability is something I want in a pistol, particularly one where I cannot "adjust" the ammo.

Personally, I would stay away from the very cheapest models of guns, I prefer something with a bit more "quality" or features, even if the cost is higher. After all, how many times are you going to buy one???

A good quality gun will stand up to everything you should do with it, will probably survive a number of things you shouldn't do with it, and properly cared for and not abused or neglected, will likely out last you. When you get years (and especially decades) down the road, what difference does even a double handful of dollars in the original purchase price make?
Old February 8, 2024, 03:13 PM   #4
rock185

old fart, I've owned a few Ruger 22 semi-autos and revolvers, a S&W 41, Walther PP, Beretta 87, etc. But I would go with an adjustable sight Ruger, just as 44 AMP mentions. The Rugers are durable, accurate and and the main thing for me; very reliable. The others are fine pistols, but more picky about what ammo they will function reliably with. I have no experience with the ones you mention..
Old February 8, 2024, 03:48 PM   #5
Drm50

Yes, adjustable sights a must for a one gun act. That is going to be a Ruger auto pistol.
I could never understand why people buy fixed sight 22s. It’s a PIA to guess elevation but if windage is off it goes beyond that. Over half the 22 revolvers and autos are nothing but noise makers. Shoot at something long enough and law of averages say you put a bullet through the target sooner or later.
Everyone doesn’t have to be match grade bullseye gun, but if it has no practical accuracy it is worthless. I’m normally S&W guy but they haven’t had a nice 22 since 422/622 design
( not including m41 ) So I would have to go with a Ruger Mark of some flavor over S&W or Browning.
Old February 8, 2024, 09:38 PM   #6
Lurch37

Of the handguns you listed which one do you like best?

I can tell you that I like the Ruger Wrangler over the Heritage in looks only because I haven't got a Heritage or a Wrangler. But I really like and shoot the Super Wrangler due to being a little heavier, having adjustable sights, and coming with a .22mag cylinder. It seems to be priced around $289 here.

I have shot but don't own the Glock 44. It is light compared to other Glocks but you get used to it quickly. It fed and functioned perfect thru the 200 or so rounds the owner and I shot. Accuracy was fine for us. The owner has had no problems that I know of.

The Taurus TX22 another fine handgun in my mind. It is light as well, even when fully loaded and it fits my hand very well, which is why I bought one. I have approx. 1000 rounds thru mine and it has fed and functioned perfectly. Accuracy is just fine as well.

I have no experience with the Kel-Tec P17.

Of those listed, if you want a revolver, I'd go with the Wrangler. And if you could find one, I'd spend another 90 bucks and get the Super Wrangler.

If your wanting an Auto, then the Glock or the Taurus would be great choices.
Old February 9, 2024, 01:03 AM   #7
Pumpkin

How about a nice Ruger MkII, MkIII, standard model. 4-3/4 or 6 inch would well. Entry level used Browning Buckmarks are also affordable and are very accurate.
Adjustable sight models are fine but not a necessity in my experience.
Revolvers seem to be more susceptible to point of impact changes between different loads.
I don’t understand all this talk about fixed sights and their inadequacy?
I have;
3 MkII’s all 4-3/4, two blued and one ss and all are very accurate at typical handgun distances. Point of impact is fine.
I use mostly Mini Mags but won’t hesitate to shoot the cheap stuff either.
I have had some inexpensive fixed sight revolvers that did not shoot to point of impact.
I have and have owned some Buckmarks, Beretta 92’s, 1911’s to name a few and some quality revolvers (S&W, Colt, Ruger) that all hit where you aimed their fixed sights.

Last edited by Pumpkin; February 9, 2024 at 05:35 AM.
Old February 9, 2024, 01:41 PM   #8
bamaranger

change

Of the options listed, none would be my 1st choice.....unless I was carrying a Glock for my defensive pistol. Cost aside, I would consider the Glock 44(.22) at that point. If I intended to limit myself to a two gun stable, I might even trade the existing 9mm if it weren't a Glock, and acquire a Glock 9mm and the Glock 44 (.22).

Of the choices listed, and limited solely to those, I might go with the Wrangler, but the issue of course, is will it shoot to point of aim? I have an early Bearcat that does not. Sometimes POI problems can be fixed with different ammo if it's an elevation only issue, but Bearcat is off windage wise, I'd I've not tried to correct it, I just plink with another pistol. Since plinking often involves tiny targets, shooting to point of aim matters, the my Bearcat is a disappointment.....but it is a delight to carry. Conversely, my favorite .22 handgun as a shooter is an early MkII, Ruger, which also has fixed sights, and shoots exactly to point of aim.

Now, my favorite .22 handgun is a .22 Single Six with the WMR cylinder installed, but that is another story.
Old February 9, 2024, 03:29 PM   #9
Drm50

Staying within the OPs list there is nothing I would buy. The Wrangler would be ok if it had adjustable sights but I don’t think that model is the one on sale. I would save my money and wait for a deal on something practical. I have shot most of the name brand plastic 22s and none of them have acceptable accuracy for 22 style plinking. They are for point shooting like most plastic 9mms. They ain’t made for bottle caps at 25’.
I was looking for a EDC 22 pistol, no for SD but opportunity targets & critters one might encounter when going about chores. I was sorely disappointed by several. I ended up going with a S&W 422 Target I bought used.
Old February 9, 2024, 09:06 PM   #10
44 AMP
Staff

My issue with fixed sights is that, if your ammo isn't hitting POA, you have to change either the ammo, or the gun (or sometimes, both).

With my reloads, I can, if I feel like it experiment with different loads until I find one that matches the sights. Sometimes just a different bullet will do it, even windage. Sometimes it takes trying lots of things before finding the right combination.

Changing the gun, with fixed sights is nearly always a permanent thing, and not easily changed back. With adjustable sights, its a few clicks of the adjustment screws and in infinitely and easily done.

What concerns me about changing the fixed sights, especially on .22s is, what happens when you can't get the load that shoots to the sights? The way ammo has been in the recent past (and to a degree, still is) one cannot always get one's preferred load or even brand of ammo on demand, unlike decades previously.

I want a gun with adjustable sights, even if I never move them, I want the option to do so at will, easily. In my opinion the only reason not to put adjustable sights on a sport pistol is to cheap out by a few bucks.
Old February 9, 2024, 10:14 PM   #11
rc

The TX 22 has had some good reviews except for a very few bad reviews due to bad barrels early on. I'm not interested in an aluminum frame single action Ruger without adjustable sights or a Heritage with a safety lever. Nor am I interested in a bolted together Keltek. The Glock would be my other choice from the guns listed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDyjenkqKXY
Old February 15, 2024, 06:52 AM   #12
old fart

UPDATE: I got a call from my local shop that a black Keltec P17 had come in, I went and looked at it and the others that were within my budget. I decided on the P17 as I was told it was $195 out the door. Got it home and called Keltec as I always like to get extra recoil springs. The nice lady said they would send 2 at no charge and other parts when I need them would be no charge as well. Very good service and I believe I am gonna like this little gun, will post how it shoots after I get to my back yard in a few days. Thanks everyone.
Old February 15, 2024, 11:35 AM   #13
DaleA

Congratulations on your purchase. I'm looking forward to a range report.

My first choice would be one of three: Ruger Mark 4 (for ease of disassembly), Buckmark or S&W Victory---all very solid, capable semi-auto .22's.

However, if you are liking a single action 'cowboy' gun give a pass to the Ruger Wrangler and check out the Ruger Super Wrangler. I've handled both in the gun store and for me there's no comparison. The Super Wrangler has adjustable sights, is heavier, feels much more solid in my hand and comes with a .22LR and .22 WMR cylinder. I saw them at Christmas time for $240. The only small gripe I have with them is the finish. I'd like a nice blued gun but that's just me.

https://ruger.com/products/superWrangler/models.html

https://www.scheels.com/p/ruger-supe...=en_US&start=1
Old February 15, 2024, 03:25 PM   #14
Bill DeShivs

I think you will find the P17 is an excellent little gun. Let us know, please.