The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 28, 2008, 08:18 AM   #1
Super-Dave

Remington 870 express......

Why do so many people critisize the remington express 870?

Its not like it is made in a chineese factory by aids infested midgets working slave labor.

I have one and I think it is fine. I don't have any complaints.

If you think the express is such a piece of junk, would you rather buy a mossberg 500?
Old April 28, 2008, 08:58 AM   #2
johnbt

Why? Because it's cut-rate, rough-blued, no-name hardwood imitation of a real shotgun, etc. Nothing at all wrong with them.

Yes, I've had one since '93 and an uncle has had one since '87 or '88. They work, but they're no all-walnut, polished-blue, slicker-than-greased-lightening Wingmaster or Model 12.

I've never owned a Mossberg and likely won't ever need one.

John
Old April 28, 2008, 03:09 PM   #3
RoscoeC

Quote:
They work, but they're no all-walnut, polished-blue, slicker-than-greased-lightening Wingmaster or Model 12.
Problem is, those things cost money.

What's the old adage? Fast, Cheap, Quality, pick any two.

Fast and Cheap seem to be winning.

Wingmasters are still made, just few folks want to pony up the money for one.

With that said, if you are looking strictly for utility, the 870 express is about as good as it gets for the money.
Old April 28, 2008, 05:38 PM   #4
T.A.Sharps

Well my...
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbt
cut-rate, rough-blued, no-name hardwood imitation of a real shotgun
Is a beed blasted low reflection, black mote carlo stock Remington SabotGun, and gives me 8" groups at 200yrds.
Old April 28, 2008, 06:47 PM   #5
rem870hunter

i don't think the express model 870 is a piece of junk. i have one and a wingmaster. they both work just like they are supposed to. i'll probably get flamed for this but i won't buy a mossberg. i am used to the 870. i handled a few mossbergs and i don't like them.
Old April 28, 2008, 07:24 PM   #6
T.A.Sharps

People have certain opinions about certain makes, but what is the 870 not doing for you that another pump will?

Really, I don't know of any reason to choose a Rem over a Moss, other than looks and feel. I have had both, and the Rem feels more solid than my Mossberg, but I like the thumb safety on the Moss more. Looks and feels.

There is not much performance to be had out of a plastic hull, and I have not heard of anything having better performance, sabots or shot, over any other brand.
Old April 28, 2008, 07:26 PM   #7
King Ghidora

I don't have a Mossberg 500 but I do have a Mossberg bolt action. It works great. So does my Express. Both were bargain rate guns. Both are exceptional at what they do.

I don't buy a shotgun to look at it. I but it to use. Who cares what it looks like. I bought the synthetic stock and it looks fine. It doesn't look like my dad's Wingmaster but I thought from the time I was a little kid that all that fancy carving was a waste. I remember asking dad why they bothered doing that when I was probably 5 years old. I still think that.

I realize others don't share my view. Good for them. YMMV as always. If they care what their gun looks like let them pay the extra to get it. I'm happy Remington makes a quality gun for as cheap as possible and still be quality. And yes it is quality. Anyone who thinks it isn't makes me scratch my head. It goes bang when you pull the trigger. That's all I care about.
Old April 28, 2008, 07:44 PM   #8
DKA

Usually get what you pay for. Remington made the 870 Express to compete with other manuf's putting cheap guns on the market. I have one and it is fine, but I love my Wingmaster.
Old April 28, 2008, 08:09 PM   #9
Dfariswheel

DKA has it.

The idea of the Express was to allow Remington to sell a shotgun at a price at least near as low as the much cheaper to make Winchester 1300 and Mossberg 500.

The 1300 and 500 have cheap to make cast aluminum receivers and plastic and stamped parts.
Remington uses the same forged and milled steel receiver with heavy-duty parts as on the Wingmaster and Police.

The way Remington cut the price was to reduce hand labor and finish as low as possible.
Instead of the fine polished blue, you get a dull blue.
Instead of fine checkered Walnut with the famous "Bowling pin finish", you get hardwood with a poly finish.
Instead of a smooth, burr-less gun, you get some machine marks and small burrs in out of the way places.

For that, you get a gun that costs a lot less then a Wingmaster or Police, but will last just as long. (About 250,000 rounds or so).

The Express was designed to sell to the man who just wants a good pump gun at the lowest possible price, and who doesn't care about the finer finish.
Old April 28, 2008, 08:20 PM   #10
Brad Clodfelter
Registration in progress

I agree with Dfariswheel.

He pretty much covered it. I don't know of the round count though. I'm assuming he is referring to barrel life on that figure. I have never shot that many rounds through a shotgun, so I really can't comment.
Old April 28, 2008, 10:54 PM   #11
Scattergun Bob

870 Express

The 870 Express is exactly what it is, a lower price point shotgun with the base features of Remington 870 design. It is not a bad gun!

That said I must disagree with Dfariswheel statement; "Remington uses the same forged and milled steel receiver with heavy-duty parts as on the Wingmaster and Police." Heavy-duty parts on the Police magnum model are specific to this flavor of 870.

As a Remington police armoror I have converted many wing master and express models to defensive shotguns, of special attention is the extractor of the express model, it is called a slurried metal extractor, it stands for sub-standard to depend your life on. The sear spring PN 17518 is also suspect in the express. There are a few other parts that are suspect. If you are interested shoot me an e-mail and I will send a list for the right stuff with PN #s.

The only other thing that irks me about the express is the finish, it seems to develope a light rust, keep it oiled.

The EXPRESS is what it is, a good price point shotgun.

Good luck & Be Safe
Old April 29, 2008, 06:13 AM   #12
Super-Dave

I will send you the email scattergun bob. I do want an upgrade on my express.
Old April 29, 2008, 06:44 AM   #13
mikenbarb

Got a 870 and a 500 and love them both. Their great boat paddles. Oh, and they shoot too. The Mossberg I bought new in 1985 and it was my first 12 ga. And finally after 23 years, 1000's of rounds and lots of abuse, I have to replace the magazine tube spring. The only other problem I had was the safety spring and ball that I wore out. The 870 is flawless so far. (knock,knock)
Old April 29, 2008, 07:21 AM   #14
hillbille

I have one of the "cheap" expresses love it, it is the perfect rabbitt gun, going thru briars ect, you don't hae to worry about scratches, if stuck in the middle of a briar clump you can use it to push or beat briars out of way and not cry about it later,there are times a cheap gun comes in very handy, some guns werent't meant to beat brush with some were. It usually hits what I point at,and allways goes off when I pull the trigger.
Old April 29, 2008, 02:21 PM   #15
T.A.Sharps

About the crappy finnish with the 870 Express...

I hated it at first, the finnish seems to just collect moisture and rust the gun. I would go out one day, and put it in my case for the night, and the next morning it would be all rusted up. I almost wanted to get rid of it.

But as I used it more, and cleaned it more, the finnish seemed to retain some of the protective coating from the Remoil I used like it did the moisture when I first got it. Not sure how or why, or if it was something else, but it never rusts anymore like it did before.

Seems like it would be the perfect rig to get a duracoat paint job on since it is cheap, and a working hunting gun.
Old April 29, 2008, 03:03 PM   #16
Diesel1

Quote:
Why do so many people critisize the remington express 870?
Simply because popular things get bashed. Doesn't matter what you own for a car or like in a gun, someone will be along shortly to tell you what a p.o.s. it is and why.
Old April 29, 2008, 07:46 PM   #17
drail

TA Sharps putting your gun "in the case for the night" is probably the main cause of the rust. Cases hold moisture from the air in close contact with the steel, unless you live in the desert, I would use the case only to transport a weapon and then get it out of the case as soon as possible. I have seen many rusty guns that people stored in a case.
Old April 30, 2008, 08:04 AM   #18
johnbt

"Who cares what it looks like."

Me. I still believe a beat-up walnut gun looks better than a beat-up 'tiswood gun. And walnut feels better. Wood? Feel? Yes, like a baseball player can tell about a bat - they all aren't the same even they're made to the exact same specs. A good baseball player anyway. Density, balance, vibration, etc.

Funny thing about getting surprised, one of my favorite shotguns has turned out to be a camo'd synthetic SX-2.

John
Old April 30, 2008, 11:13 AM   #19
Omaha-BeenGlockin

One of the first things I do with a new Express is get out an old t-shirt and a can of Rem-oil----spray it down and rub the oil into the finish---removes the rust in the finish and lays down a protective coating----never had a problem with rust since I started doing that.
-------Metallica
Old April 30, 2008, 04:57 PM   #20
T.A.Sharps

drail

I know how to care for a gun, I didn't just put it in the case coverd it dirt and water. I had wiped it down and stowed it for hunting the next morning. And I don't know many people who just leave their guns sitting out.

The time I was talking about was the first day I hunted with it. I haven't had that happen with any other firearm before, and was surprised how much rust was on it. A friend of mine had an express, and had the same thing happen.

After a few more cleanings with the Rem Oil I never had the problem again, and I still leave it in a case overnight.
Old April 30, 2008, 06:32 PM   #21
BigJimP

The 870 Express and the Mossberg 500 are decent entry level shotguns but they aren't going to hold up to heavy use. But you got what you paid for and a serviceable shotgun - don't try and make it into something its not.

Are there better - higher quality finish, barrels, stocks and pump actions on the market - sure, and in my opinion the 870 Wingmaster and the Browning BPS are 2 of the better pump guns out there ( and its not just fancier wood ). Are they both more expensive - sure - and again you get what you pay for.

Everybody should have a good reliable pump gun - in my opinion - and you should buy what you can afford and what you like. For me, its the Browning BPS - but if for you its the 870 Express - then go with that.
Old April 30, 2008, 07:08 PM   #22
scsov509

Quote:
The 870 Express and the Mossberg 500 are decent entry level shotguns but they aren't going to hold up to heavy use
A few of us that have well used models of these would respectfully disagree. My Mossberg 500 has been downright abused over the last 15 years, and yet it keeps on working like the day I got it. So I wonder if your statement reflects actual experience with these models, or if it is instead a personal opinion? All I've got to go by is my own experience, which so far has been overwhelmingly positive with this model.
Old April 30, 2008, 09:04 PM   #23
Dfariswheel

The real heavy-duty shooters are clay bird shooters, and they shoot hundreds of thousands of rounds over a few years.

They say that the aluminum framed Mossberg will start to wear out at somewhere around 50,000 to 75,000 rounds.

The 870, including the Express, may begin to develop cracks in the receiver at something around 250,000 rounds, but the gun will continue to shoot for a time even cracked.

A with all guns, some small parts may fail from time to time.
Old April 30, 2008, 09:45 PM   #24
xm21

My experience with the express I bought a year ago was just like T.A.Sharps,except mine grew a coat of orange fuzz overnight in a tent, uncased.It also had a rough chamber and hated the cheap shells and would not extract.I did a search here at these forums,followed the advice I found about chamber polishing and soaking the finish with CLP and now have a gun that don't rust anymore and shoots wally world 100 packs with no extraction problems.One thing I don't like is the coarse file that is used for the vent rib and the way it shreds an oily rag when wiping it down,and eats the inside of the soft case.But thats also a minor matter that could be easily fixed.As for it being somehow less durable than a Wingmaster I have not had it long enough to say about that,but I am getting the good extractor set up that Scattergun Bob recommends.
Old April 30, 2008, 09:54 PM   #25
mossberg500

Quote:
The 870 Express and the Mossberg 500 are decent entry level shotguns but they aren't going to hold up to heavy use
Not sure about the 870, never owned one, but the 500 I used to own was used when I got it, had a few years on it, and the abuse I put it through was about as bad as it gets, not to mention never actually cleaning it the whole time I had it. Never once had a jam or a single problem with it.