The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 5, 2017, 05:54 PM   #1
Prof Young

Loving turret press . . .

So have done about 1000 rounds in the Lee Turret Press with the auto powder drum and am liking it a lot. I've gotten over the trouble I initially had with priming on the down stroke. I do that pretty well now. I still deprime on my single stage press as it collects the spent primers in the tube below. Need to figure out a way to do that with my turret and then will do it all on turret. Yeah I know you still have to pull the lever as many times but not having to take the case in and out of the case holder for each step saves a great deal of time. I can't think of a time before now when I had so many 9mm on the shel in the ammo closet.

Life is good
Prof Young
Old October 5, 2017, 06:18 PM   #2
jetinteriorguy

Yup, the turret works very well. I load .38, .357, .41, 7.62x39, and .223 on my turret, the only thing I still load on my Loadmaster is 9mm. The only thing I do still load on my single stage Lyman Crusher is 6.5 Creedmoor for longer range accuracy. I don't mind the slower rate and extra handle pulling, I just feel like I have better control over the ammo quality with the turret press and since all the calibers I load are not shot at nearly the volume I shoot 9mm at it works fine.
Old October 5, 2017, 07:49 PM   #3
berettaprofessor

Doesn't your turret press also deprime and the primers go into a spent tube? The Lee Classic turret should...mine does.
Old October 5, 2017, 11:07 PM   #4
Prof Young

No it doesn't . . .

Berettaprof:
No mine doesn't. The are supposed to accumulate in the empty base an they you are supposed to vaccumm them out. In reality the go all over the floor.
We must have different models. I have this . . .
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old October 6, 2017, 12:27 AM   #5
MrApathy

just guessing he has the newer classic turret and you have the older model.

I had the older model till I went for a Hornady LNL ap progressive.

made many thousand of rounds on my lee 4 hole turret press. then again I sized and deprimed/reprimed my cases seperately. believe lee precision has a easy priming addon for the older turret press which makes priming easier
A repeat of history, That's how it goes

Last edited by MrApathy; October 6, 2017 at 12:43 AM.
Old October 6, 2017, 06:48 AM   #6
Don P

Quote:
In reality the go all over the floor.
Prof Young, do you have the lever primer cup in the ram????? I ask because that is a reason the primers could be going everywhere
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old October 6, 2017, 11:10 AM   #7
kmw1954

Prof Young what you have is the Value Turret which is also what I have only mine is an old 3 hole model.

Now what I did is make a cutout under the press into the bench top. It is as wide as the inside of the press and 1.5" deep. I then mounted the press as it would normally be only located so the drop holes for the primers are over the cutout. Primers no drop thru into a waste can.
Use this same setup with my Lee Pro 1000 press.
Old October 6, 2017, 12:05 PM   #8
tranders

The Lee Classic Cast turret has the tube that collects the primers.

I also am a fan of turret presses. I use a Lyman TMag II. In my mind it is a nice compromise between a single stage and a progressive.
Old October 6, 2017, 04:25 PM   #9
std7mag

Told you that you would like it.
Mine does same with primers.
I drilled 2 holes in bench underneath, and made/fastened a wire bracket that holds a plastic container underneath. Just dump container out into trash.
Easy peasy mac and cheesy..
Old October 6, 2017, 05:25 PM   #10
Prof Young

Been planning to . . .

Yeah I've been planning to make a hole in the bench under the press to let the primers fall through. I throw the spent primers in the junk brass bucket . . . they are brass aren' they?

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old October 7, 2017, 10:11 AM   #11
std7mag

No they are not. Just throw in trash.
Old October 7, 2017, 03:23 PM   #12
BZimm

Yeah, I had the bright idea of throwing my spent primers in with the walnut media in my vibratory tumbler. My thought was that the mixture would be a bit more aggressive.....right? After the first time screening the little devils out of the brass and having them clogging the screen; they went out into the lawn in a wide fan-shaped pattern.

BZimm