The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 27, 2017, 10:06 AM   #1
ShootistPRS

9mm FM cases

I don't know who the manufacturer is but the head stamp is "FM 9mm" and it should not be reloaded using standard load data. It has a "step" about half way down the inside of the case and they are considerably heavier than any other brass that I have.
Are there any other manufacturers making this brass with the step that reduces the case capacity?
Old September 27, 2017, 11:35 AM   #2
higgite

This has been discussed many times on this and other forums. The FM stands for Freedom Munitions. I asked them about it a couple of months back and was told that they no longer use that brass, but that there may be some leftovers in their inventory.
Old September 28, 2017, 01:40 PM   #3
ShootistPRS

Thanks for that information, higgite!
So, depositing in the recycle barrel is the best use of it? Maybe it will eventually disappear completely.
Old September 28, 2017, 02:10 PM   #4
higgite

Quote:
Thanks for that information, higgite!
So, depositing in the recycle barrel is the best use of it? Maybe it will eventually disappear completely.
That's how I use them. To fill up the recycle barrel. But others have said they reload them successfully. I just don't want to work up another load for brass that I wouldn't pick up at the range anyway. Plus I have seen reports of them separating right at the top of the step. That doesn't fill me with confidence.
Old September 29, 2017, 08:12 AM   #5
Doublehelix3216

I recycle *all* of my FM headstamp brass, even if it does not have the internal ledge.

I noticed a few months ago that they can be picked up by my stainless steel pin magnet that I got when I wet tumble.

If they can be picked up by a magnet, that makes me wonder about the quality of the design.
Old September 29, 2017, 08:24 AM   #6
Ricklin

Wow

That is some darned unusual brass.........
Old September 29, 2017, 06:07 PM   #7
BigJimP

I'm still picking up a few of them, swept off floors, at my local range....

I will be happy to see them go away ...( I sell them to the scrapper, sort them out..).
Old October 1, 2017, 11:43 AM   #8
9x45

IMT and AmmoLoad also use the stepped case, but MaxxTech is the worst. 3rd from the left

Old October 1, 2017, 12:04 PM   #9
MarkCO

HMT (parent company to AmmoLoad, Freedom and a few others) used stepped brass in several lines. They don't anymore. But they also currently produce a brass washed steel case.

Either, at low to mild pressure levels is okay, but both will have slight variations as compared to brass cases. Neither seals as well and both are really bad for the blowback PCCs.
Old October 1, 2017, 12:22 PM   #10
T. O'Heir

'FM' stands for a whole bunch more factories than Freedom Munitions. Syria, Argentina and México all use 'FM'.
A "step" about half way down has nothing to do with the load used.
Old October 1, 2017, 01:04 PM   #11
higgite

Quote:
'FM' stands for a whole bunch more factories than Freedom Munitions. Syria, Argentina and México all use 'FM'.
How many besides Freedom Munitions are headstamped FM and also have the internal step?

Quote:
A "step" about half way down has nothing to do with the load used.
It does for me. The load I use with them is no powder, no primer, no bullet and plunk tested in my junk brass bucket. ymmv
Old October 1, 2017, 01:05 PM   #12
ShootistPRS

The difference in case volume has everything to do with the load used. Less capacity with the same load will produce more pressure. That is why they go into the recycle bin.
Old October 2, 2017, 11:32 PM   #13
briandg

I don't know exactly how much capacity is reduced, but I will propose that a starter or slightly larger load, depending on powder and some other variables, having some of them accidentally run through the loader will be harmless.

Many variables, but starter loads are meant to control them.
Old October 3, 2017, 01:22 PM   #14
Tsquared

The other problem with the "stepped" cases is that they do not split lengthwise but the separate at the step leaving the top half of the case fire formed to the chamber. It is a royal PIA to get that out of the chamber with a set of dental tools.

About 7 years ago I had that happen with some LAX re-manufactured ammo and when I pointed it out to them they were apologetic but their response also had the connotation of "you get what you pay for".
Old October 3, 2017, 05:00 PM   #15
briandg

Remanufactured comes with risk and a price. A remanufactured water pump has new seals and bearings a starter has new mechanical parts or repairs, but you get the same armature. Reconditioned radiators are still possibly full of weak spots.

Remanufactured ammo may have gone through numerous cycles.
Old October 4, 2017, 08:59 AM   #16
briandg

My recycling goes into a three gallon plastic jug. It's hard to understand how I accumulated it all. Mostly, it's because any foreign stuff I find goes straight into the jug. The jug is nearly full and has probably thirty pounds at $2 a pound that will buy a couple cans of powder. I'm living on disability and every dollar I spend on hobbies makes me cringe.

I have a metric fartload of 9mm, .45 and .40, plenty of .380, and would sell them for shipping and salvage yard cost. There's no chance that I'm going to throw away usable brass, but I literally have buckets of once fired range brass. I'm surprised about how much is nickel, but a lot of it is police training loads.