The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 26, 2017, 07:13 AM   #1
alank2

Recommend a load for 44 DE with 240gr

I've been used to loading for a revolver which doesn't mind if I load a bit lighter, etc., but I ordered a 44 desert eagle so I need to load so that it cycles well. I've got some IMI 240 JSP's. I don't have any magnum primers so I'll have to grab some of those. I've got powders laying around, but probably need to get something specific for full power 44. What I have is 3n37, AA#7, Blue Dot, WSF, Longshot, and H4198. Any recommendations? I saw something about AA#9 being decent.
Old September 26, 2017, 12:49 PM   #2
hagar

I'd like to know as well. I have only shot 200 grain plated bullets out of mine under 20 grains of 296, and that worked well. My 44 revolver hates the plated bullets, they move forward under recoil and bind up the cylinder.

I have a bunch of other loads to try, 13.5 grains of Bluedot with 240 JSP, and some AA#9's with around 18 grains, but most all the shooting I do is rifle competition.
Old September 26, 2017, 04:33 PM   #3
Sevens

You don't necessarily need magnum primers for this application. I have some decent .44 Desert Eagle loads worked up but I don't have access to them at this moment.

I would be wary of using plated bullets in this scenario, especially plated bullets under 240 grains in weight. If the plating strips and ends up in the gas port, you'll damage this handgun.

I have a load using the Nosler 240gr JHP and Alliant 2400 that works well. Of the powders listed so far, AA#9 seems to be the best choice.
Old September 26, 2017, 08:42 PM   #4
Chainsaw.

Deagles only come in 50ae!

Or so they should.... I have nothing else to offer. Best of luck.
Old September 28, 2017, 10:31 AM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Deagles only come in 50ae!
"Deagle" is a word that shouldn't be seen in an adult, non-gaming forum!

Deagol found the One Ring in the river Anduin, and was murdered by Sméagol, who wanted it for his precious, his birthday present.
Gollum,... Gollum....:rolleyes:

AA#9 works, so does 2400, W 296, and H110. I have used AA#9 and 2400 in my Desert Eagle, and I use magnum primers. Faster powders can work, but you will need to CAREFULLY experiment to find a reliable load.

Don't shoot lead bullets, I won't shoot plated, either. Don't go heavier than 240gr (there's no need, and IMO, no point) or expect issues.

Don't "cup & saucer" the gun. In my experience, the magazine needs to "float" or feeding problems will happen.

There are several old threads in TFL that discuss the DE, its habits, and feeding requirements. The information you seek is here, just search a bit.

The Desert Eagle is NOT a handgun like other handguns, it needs its own diet, and type of "exercise" (how it is shot). Don't expect it to thrive or fly well on anything else. I got a .357 in 1984, and a .44 in 1990. I don't have any of the new production guns, but I would not expect them to behave much, if any differently.
Old October 3, 2017, 09:38 AM   #6
alank2

I shot some Q4240 Winchester 240gr JSP last night and it shot accurately, but was a little more recoil than I want. I'd like to load something a bit softer that still cycles reliably. Any ideas on what powder I should try? I've got a bunch of 240gr JSP's I ordered from wideners way back when.
Old October 4, 2017, 08:27 PM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
but was a little more recoil than I want. I'd like to load something a bit softer that still cycles reliably
The usual problem is people looking for a load hot enough to cycle the action.

You MIGHT not be able to find a load that cycles the action at the light recoil level you seem to desire. The DE is NOT an adjustable system.

About all you can do is reduce the load, in steps, until your pistol no longer reliably cycles. Be aware that not all powders are safe to do this with, some, like W296 get squirrelly when you go below listed levels.

(and squirrely is NOT safe, it can mean only partial powder burn, on one end, and DETONATION on the other. Be safe, check with the powder maker, BEFORE you try it!)
Old October 5, 2017, 09:18 AM   #8
alank2

I won't be downloading any W296 for sure... I'll start trying some things and get the chrono out and see what I can do.