The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 25, 2017, 09:29 AM   #26
F. Guffey

Metal god, I can not believe you are this desperate for atention.

Quote:
So how did this word get turned around on us ? I feel like Guffey over here thinking there is no such thing as case headspace , how do you not get that !? Seriously though I'm not sure I'm going to be able to let this go . Hack/s is not a good thing .
The case does not have head space. How did 'case head space' get started? Reloaders were in over their heads and could not get a grip on 'the datum line'. up-until that time reloaders though the datum was identified by a line with an arrow pointing identify it as 'the datum line. They all got mad at me for identifying the datum as a round circle/hole. And they got madder when I told them I made datums, I collected datums and I purchased datums. Somewhere around that time they scorned the day they ever learned to read.
It was about that time reloaders took off for the hardware stores to purchased bushings with holes in them thinking they had discovered the mystery of the datum, problem! I had to explain to them they were making the same mistake Hornady was making with there Sinclair/Hornady tool, to be an accurate tool the hole in the bushing can not have a radius, I explained, I make datums but my datums are not case friendly because my datums have sharp edges.

I even explained to them if they understood the difference between a gage and a comparator the diameter of the hole would not matter. That went for the radius, if the reloader would measure before and again and then compared the two difference lengths they would not have to research SAAMI/

Did they understand? NO! They got all giggly about a tool called the digital head space gage. I explained to them the digital head space gage was not a head space gage, I explained to them the tool was a comparator, I thought it was a cheap tool but when reloaders get all giggly and then realize they have been had they go into denial. Had they understood the case does not have head space there was a remote chance they would have realized the digital head space gage was a a height gage that was configured to measure the length of a case from the shoulder to the case head. And reloaders got all giggly about the three point, new invention contact tool; and I thought to myself none of these reloaders have ever tried to milk a cow with a 4 legged stool or the old wood carver that was given part of the Kings Dukedom. The King had a contest, he challenged his subjects to make something that required them to think, get their hands out of their pockets and their fingers off of their keyboards. I know how the old King felt, I can not get a reloader to back away from the keyboard long enough to measure how much cam over the Rock Chucker has. I have three Rock Chuckers, the total cam over for all three is 'ZERO', I know, most think that is unfair but for me that is OK, I had one member report me to RCBS, RCBS instructed the member to have me contact them. I thought they were outstanding, one of my Rock Chuckers fell apart, they sent me all of the parts required to repair it and then I thought: I am the only person in the world that can modify a Rock Chucker to cam over but changed my mind when I remembered a cam over press can not be used to run the Piggy Back 11 Attachments.

And then there was the consideration for 'bump', My instructions from RCBS claim the cam over press is a bump press. where did that come from? We now have reloaders that are conditioned to claim they can bump the shoulder back. I have 14 presses that are cam over presses, my cam over presses are also called bump presses. They are bump presses because the ram pumps on the way to the top and the ram bumps on the way down. Believe it or not The die adjustment for the bump press is different than the instructions for the non cam over press, the non cam over press is not a bump press.

Am I the only reloader on any forum that has instructions for reloading presses? Am I the only one that has read and understand the instructions for cam over and non cam over presses? NO and NO, I could say you would not believe what other member has RCBS press instructions, I am thinking he is busy and waiting for the opportunity that will provide the time required.

F. Guffey

Last edited by F. Guffey; September 25, 2017 at 09:43 AM.
Old September 25, 2017, 10:05 AM   #27
higgite

Quote:
Is anyone else having a hard time excepting the word "Hacks" as a good thing or a term to mean to find a better way ?
Same here. From the thread title, I thought it was going to be about inept reloaders. Or maybe taxi drivers that reload in their spare time. I'm old. <coughcoughhackcough> I don't like change. Using "hack" to describe something good just doesn't hack it with me.
Old September 25, 2017, 10:22 AM   #28
Bucksnort1

Yo, Condor,

You mention Lizard Litter. This is the first I've heard of this. Are you getting good results? Do you mix it with other media or use by itself?

Also, I've heard mention of car polish. Which brand and how much?
Old September 25, 2017, 10:30 AM   #29
Bucksnort1

Guffey,

Have you ever heard the term, TMI (too much information) and have you ever heard that you write or speak to the level of your audience? In other words, if you are speaking or writing to an audience of biologists, you don't want to talk about quantum physics.

I have no clue what you said in your book. You are certainly a well qualified reloader.
Old September 25, 2017, 10:43 AM   #30
F. Guffey

When I was out of town I tried to call the wife from towns that had names I absolute loved. One town in Tennessee was called Bucksnort, in Kentucky there was a town named Salt Lick, Texas had a creek called 'Hollering Mother', Virginia had a park called Hungry Mother and then there was Wounded Knee.
Quote:

I have no clue what you said in your book. You are certainly a well qualified reloader.
Thank you,

F. Guffey
Old September 25, 2017, 10:52 AM   #31
higgite

Quote:
Texas had a creek called 'Hollering Mother'
Just for the record, it's "Woman Hollering Creek".
Old September 25, 2017, 12:08 PM   #32
condor bravo

Bucksnort1
The car polish is Nu-Finish car polish; comes in an orange plastic container. When using it, heed the usual warning to break up the clumps after adding to the media before adding the cases. Otherwise the polish clumps can become embedded in the cases and awkward to remove. The lizard litter is finely ground walnut shells and available from pet stores. Quite a few use this combination. Use two or three cap fulls to begin with, although I usually use more, with three or four pounds of litter. Add litter and then break up the clumps while the tumbler is running. The brand name of the lizard litter is Zilla.

Last edited by condor bravo; September 25, 2017 at 04:02 PM.
Old September 26, 2017, 11:11 AM   #33
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal god View Post
Is anyone else having a hard time excepting the word "Hacks" as a good thing or a term to mean to find a better way ?

Hack has never meant to mean anything good .
Eric S. Raymond, http://catb.org/jargon/html/meaning-of-hack.html.

Quote:
“The word hack doesn't really have 69 different meanings”, according to MIT hacker Phil Agre. “In fact, hack has only one meaning, an extremely subtle and profound one which defies articulation. Which connotation is implied by a given use of the word depends in similarly profound ways on the context. Similar remarks apply to a couple of other hacker words, most notably random.”

Hacking might be characterized as ‘an appropriate application of ingenuity’. Whether the result is a quick-and-dirty patchwork job or a carefully crafted work of art, you have to admire the cleverness that went into it.

An important secondary meaning of hack is ‘a creative practical joke’. This kind of hack is easier to explain to non-hackers than the programming kind. Of course, some hacks have both natures; see the lexicon entries for pseudo and kgbvax. But here are some examples of pure practical jokes that illustrate the hacking spirit:
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old September 26, 2017, 12:02 PM   #34
Metal god

I understand that words and phrases have different meanings depending on the context . My point is that in many instances the general public only uses one of those meanings . So to go into a crowd ( forum ) and say you are all a bunch of hacks . Very few of use are going to think you mean you think of us as having ( ‘an appropriate application of ingenuity’.........work of art, you have to admire the cleverness that went into it.)

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old September 26, 2017, 04:48 PM   #35
Sevens

Conversely, if you entered a discussion forum where every single participant was aged under under 30 years and asked for "cooking hacks" or "laundry hacks" or "AR-15 assembly hacks", every participant in the audience would readily understand that you are asking for hints, tips, time savers, FULLY WORKING/SAFE/REASONABLE short cuts, multiple-use items, re-purposing of items typically otherwise outside the subject, easier way to get results, solve problems, etc etc.

Language evolves, younger people typically drive this, older people typically resist and the cycle of life continues.

It works in the opposite way also. A certain (idiotic) chubby Dictator recently dubbed our sitting President a "dotard" and few knew what the word meant. When I was 12 and delivering newspapers, my parents told me to "peddle" them and it infuriated me.
Old September 26, 2017, 04:58 PM   #36
Metal god

I don't care , this will be my Guffey hill to die on . Hack/s is NOT a word that means anything good

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old September 26, 2017, 05:57 PM   #37
condor bravo

Re Metal god
"...different meanings depending on the context" is the bottom line. Let's say you or someone has become extremely efficient with difficult computer programs along with programming languages, you could say that you have become a pretty good hacker, meant of course in a good positive way, as opposed to the opposite negative hacker who hacks into computer systems for malicious purposes.

I can't say that I have really followed all the dots on this particular good hack/bad hack subject but the term can be used either way depending on context. The whole thing seems kind of naive for an adult discussion.

What we need here is a good new posting of some kind relating to reloading.
Old September 26, 2017, 06:25 PM   #38
higgite

How about this?
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...ht=tips+tricks
Old September 26, 2017, 06:31 PM   #39
Metal god

Quote:
The whole thing seems kind of naive for an adult discussion.